Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • New Orange Patriot
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

I have just demod one from Bike treks ambleside today,It was a great bike to ride and climbed surprisingly well,however the weight is a noticable penalty and it really only works when the trail gets very gnarly or steep.

stick with the five imho,its an awesome alrounder.. 😉

philfive
    Free Member

I did bike teens too

BoardinBob

Saw one in the flesh in Alpine Bikes at Glentress. Ugly looking thing, and I like the 5, but the new Patriot looked really cheap, clunky and industrial. No doubt it rides superbly, but it’s not a thing of beauty.

philfive
    Free Member

I meant biketreks lol. Gavgas which patriot did you take out?

Jeffus
    Free Member

pics

Built my 5 with the heavy bits , I can really feel a big difference when pick it up 😀 😯 heavy!!!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

It was a small 16ins wth Marzochi forks coil rear spring..

philfive
    Free Member

Was it afternoon or morning? The green medium was good

duir
    Free Member

Joe Barnes makes the Patriot look like a superb all rounder but don’t take that seriously as Joe would make any bike look stupid fast up or downhill and is fitter than a triathlete. I would say the Patriot is far too much bike for all day UK and I struggle to see where a bike like that fits in away from the Alps etc. However it maybe good in the UK if you can only afford one bike and want to do downhilling as well as mountain riding?

philfive
    Free Member

I don’t do all day rides and I kind of fell in love with it

Jeffus
    Free Member

I think my 5 build probably feels as close as I can get to a Patriot, as I thought it was tougher on the climbs but going down for an already very stable and quick bike it felt bomb proof and I had to back off because of me and not the bike, makes me think I need a loto win 😀
    Joe Barnes is awesome rider he makes the Patriot look like a flying machine 😯

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5 and a new Patriot (perks of being an Orange dealer i guess!)

I have to say that the Patriot is pretty much gathering dust now that the lifts are shut. The Five is out and loving it – probably done about 3000m of climbing in the past 4 days – and riding down of course. There’s no way in hell I’d have done it on my Patriot (37lbs, CCDB, Fox VAN RC2, Dualply tyres etc).

I could get it down to about 33lbs with an RP23, tubeless 2.35 tires, and a Float fork. But, the carpark test of the RP23 had me changing the shock back to the CCDB. And then taking the Five out instead!

Having said that, I did complete some epic rides on the Patriot in the summer – lift assisted but with a good 500m or so climbing per day, and it coped – it does pedal well, but that’s well for a 180mm bike.

Personally, if you’re climbing the same amount as descending (i.e. no uplifts) – then stick with a Five or a 160, the Patriot is too much.

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

Saw one in the flesh in Alpine Bikes at Glentress. Ugly looking thing

I like it… Sort of brutalist. Not entirely sure I see the point of it mind but still.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New Orange Patriot’ is closed to new replies.