• This topic has 201 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)
  • New Orange Bike due to be launched next Tuesday
  • catvet

So Hora
    What incredible value state of the art bike are you riding at the present, hold it up to the light so we can all see the most amazing bike known to STW!!!!

thepodge

Hora does have a point unfortunately it’s just as cool to mock him as it is to own a five

I think for the none fanboys amongst us its hard to see why an Orange is so expensive when it’s so simple.

Jujuuk68

I miss their steel hardtails.

My first proper mtb was a Clockwork/c16. It was way better to my mind in handling than the contemporary bikes I could have bought (Rockhopper, GT, Marin so,thing or other), and that think about speccing a frame with a groupset, so any frame in the range could come from Alivio to XTR was brilliant. I then replaced it with two p7’s, which still do duty as my “to the shop/pub” bike. I really don’t care it was a Taiwanese frame, the design was brilliant. Loads of bosses and eyelets to fit things, mut clearance aplenty.

If it’s a 853 27.5 (because no one is going to market a 26 inch these days) P7,then I might investigate this, providing its roughly in line with Cotic/Dialled ect for pricing.

However, we all know the days of Orange doing what imho they did best, well designed steel frames, are past now. Trouble is, they have little to tempt someone “into” the brand. I bet a lot of present buyers are 2/3/4th generation Orange purchasers, many of whom started lower down the range they no longer have – as evidenced by Ebay.

Premier Icon Rik
    Subscriber

Trying my hardest not to bite …..but….

Can anybody tell me why 2 extra pivots, 4 extra bearings should suddenly mean a bike is better or more expensive to make, therefore should be more expensive or worth the extra money

Just luck at on one to show multi pivot carbon sells for a damn site cheaper than multi pivot santa cruz

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Fanboys gonna fanboy
    Haters gonna hate.

At least they can fulfil orders unlike another British company…

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Id like to ride one. Ive got an Alpine Five, and a short travel version might be a whole load of fun.

I have the same problem as Northwind though, the Alpine Five is just such a good bike. The only thin that holds it back on XC stuff is weight and the long stays. But its that that makes it feel so planted.

When its demo day, Ill be riding one back to back with the Alpine Five.

any comment made on a forum can be turned into spin

shut it you shed winker!

mickmcd

shut it you shed winker!

**** off chicken nugget

hora

Catvet it cost me £400 and came with a kashima shock. I dont buy new frames.

If I had 1500 I’d buy a fashion bike- the Banshee Rune – seriously

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Rik – Member

Can anybody tell me why 2 extra pivots, 4 extra bearings should suddenly mean a bike is better or more expensive to make, therefore should be more expensive or worth the extra money

More parts = more expensive to make, that’s not surprising. Pivots means axles, bearings and bolts, machined out bearing pockets, more bits that have to be perfectly aligned.

Better? Well, with more pivots you can make the suspension do more clever things. My Orange is at the extreme since it’s long travel but the limitations of the single pivot are pretty unmissable, the leverage curve is all over the place- it’s actually falling rate in the last bit of travel, that’s not something you’d ever design in through choice, it’s a bad trait. It makes pedal/brake feedback more of a consideration too (mine pedals like a blancmange even with the ccdb… Though I don’t mind the brake feedback)

None of these things in themselves make a bike better or worse, necessarily, they just give you more ability to make the suspension do what you want. Frinstance, with a typical horst, reduce the impact braking has on the suspension action which most folks would agree is a good thing- more grip, more control. Or, likewise, go DW and reduce the effect of pedalling on the suspension- which can make it ride faster, or make it pedal better in the rough. Or even just complex single pivot like Orange did themselves with some of the 225 protos and the Blood, and change the leverage on the shock.

Premier Icon Rik
    Subscriber

More parts = more expensive to make, that’s not surprising. Pivots means axles, bearings and bolts, machined out bearing pockets, more bits that have to be perfectly aligned.

Well if that’s the case I’m surprised at how cheap on one are for frame esp as they add carbon as a no added exta cost.

And expensive for an aluminium frame is the orange??? Try looking up Nicolai’s frame only prices and yrs that’s without a rear shock

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Honestly, I’m struggling to see how any of this suspension stuff matters. Normally, as a technically mined person I’d be thinking about the perfect design, but I ride a 5, and I love riding it. I don’t know why, I may love another bike more, but why should I look around?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nicolai are damn expensive- especially if you look at Zumbi, doing something very similar. Like Orange they can sell their product for a premium, so they do. But that’s just whataboutism, yes there are even more expensive things out there. House of Gold are more expensive so maybe Nicolai are great value 😉

molgrips – Member

I may love another bike more, but why should I look around?

Answered your own question?

nwill1

I ride a Five…admittedly with a CCDB and love it, have no desire to change to something just to save weight or have a more complex suspension design…any way can anybody identify where the video was recorded, I’d love to have a blast on the trail in the vid?

hooli

I am not sure why Orange get such a strong reaction from people. Surely if you don’t like them then you don’t buy one, if sales start to fall then the company themselves will alter their design/price/material etc to meet demand?

hora

Its not a strong reaction its a ‘new release. Oh same old’.

catvet

Hamsterly forest

hooli

Hora, I meant Orange in general rather than just the new/not new release.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

When Peat won his WC he used a heavy old DH bike on a course more suited to enduro machines….

V10 carbon wasn’t it?

Incidentaly, wasn’t the 224 the lightest production DH bike at the time?

or make it pedal better in the rough. Or even just complex single pivot like Orange did themselves with some of the 225 protos and the Blood, and change the leverage on the shock.

I seem to remember they admitted that the leverage ratios they ended up with were nigh on identical to what they could get from the simpler design.

And on most designs those links are there to stiffen the rear as much as change the suspension rate, and Oranges definately don’t need stiffening!

hora

Hooli- oh right/not really noticed that – you must admit though the downtube/swing arm is quite agricultural- sticks out a fair bit. For good or bad.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I seem to remember they admitted that the leverage ratios they ended up with were nigh on identical to what they could get from the simpler design.

Yeah, they ended up with a clever fix for the dh bike. Not just effective, but in keeping with the brand too. And it suits their design- you’d not really want to pierce a normal tube but with a folded spar, why not? Hope someone got a payrise.

And then dicks on the internet said “It’s just another 222” 😆

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/brochures/original/orapl2006-3.pdf

Why weren’t people (hora) hopping up and down with fury 8 (yes, EIGHT) years ago when the Five frame was £1100 with a Manitou Swinger shock? A £400 increase in 8 years for a frame with a much more advanced/expensive shock, Maxle rear end etc + inflation doesn’t seem OTT to me?

The comparison with SC doesn’t count either because the price difference is ~£150.

Premier Icon chestrockwell
    Subscriber

Shhhhhhhh Davey, this lot don’t like information like that. The main price hike in the Orange range came when the value of the pound fell so the cost of the groupsets went up.

I have an Orange (actually, I have 4) and like it very much. My mate has a Specialized Camber Evo, I prefer my 5 29.

Orange do what they do and people buy them. When they do something different (Blood, ST4, etc) people do not buy them. If you don’t like Orange, don’t buy one.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

When they do something different (Blood, ST4, etc) people do not buy them.

I know, i picked up my ST4 dirt cheap and it rocks, 100mm, long, low, slack, proper wheels….

Shhhhhhhh Davey, this lot don’t like information like that.

Sorry. Also forgot about licensing from SRAM for the Maxle.

hora

Eight years ago? A Heckler was 899-1,100 back in 2004-2010. I know as I bought one then. In rootbeer…

that you bought off me two years later 😉

That I sold after 2 rides 😉

bikeneil

hora – Member

Eight years ago? A Heckler was 899-1,100 back in 2004-2010. I know as I bought one then. In rootbeer…that you bought off me two years later

Thought you didn’t buy new frames?

Premier Icon Digby
    Subscriber

In this ever changing world, it’s good to know that on STW, somethings stay the same …

… and hora ‘bashing’ Orange Bikes is one of them ! 🙂

hora – didn’t you once buy a Five frame new? Was it before or after you bought that new Turner? 😉

Most of my mates down here in south wales want Orange bikes or have them, simple, no nonsense bikes that take an absolute beating.

Ive just sold my 1 year old Spesh Stumpy Evo as i was fed up of breaking it and replacing stuff that’s just simply not made for this country. 8 pivots, stupid PF30 BB and a rear triangle that I cracked twice (chain and seat stay).

Cant wait to order an 26″ Alpine, does that make me even more weird?

hora

I owned one for less than a month. I royally hated it. By contrast I liked the shorter TT of the 08 Patriot that I owned later.

Still no where near a decent Santa Cruz though.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

chestrockwell – Member

Orange do what they do and people buy them. When they do something different (Blood, ST4, etc) people do not buy them.

Blood did have genuine issues mind, even Orange didn’t seem to really know who it was for… version 1 with the dh standards didn’t make much sense, v2 probably came a bit too late, both had pretty conservative geometry… Straight standard steerer too I think?

Premier Icon chestrockwell
    Subscriber

Agreed Northwind but the ST4 was well received, neither looked like a 5 + or – as seems to be the complaint now and neither lasted long.

robbonzo

I think the ST4 looked great, orange should reinvent that.

TheDoctor

Yep they should definitely bring back the st4 awesome bike that !

Northwind, what were the genuine issues with the Blood? Not being argumentative, just interested. I bought a Blood because at the time (5 years ago) it was ahead of the game, low and slack without loads of travel but with a bit of rear bounce to save my ankles and feet. Still have it and in fact this evening have stripped to have the bearings changed and the frame re sprayed back at the factory (apple green because I never see many green bikes). Not an Orange fanboy but did have a 224 before I smashed myself to pieces and do have a lot of bikes but for me (at the moment at least) the Blood is a keeper.

robbonzo

St4 – 1x specific, short chain stays, low and slack geo, 120-130mm fork up front, zip up and fly down. A solo for people that don’t want a solo.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I <3 my 5

Premier Icon Rik
    Subscriber

The ST4 didn’t sell as it was the same weight as the Five but less travel

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘New Orange Bike due to be launched next Tuesday’ is closed to new replies.