New One Up thing for 1×10 people

Home Forum Bike Forum New One Up thing for 1×10 people

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New One Up thing for 1×10 people
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

awesome send me 5!

Does it move the cage more out the way of the big end of the cassette by moving it backwards? Looks different but it says “Dramatically improves shifting performance for Shimano GS (medium cage) Shadow+ clutch rear derailleurs” so it must be better

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

RAD Cage

I haven’t a clue how this works, can’t really see how changing one side of the cage can make much difference… But it’s a thing and we can buy it, anyone got any ideas what it’s doing?

oldnick

Good idea, lets the b screw be in a more normal setting, returning the parallelogram angle back to Shimano’s design, which should reduce shifting effort – the main downside to my 1×10 is the increased pressure required to shift to larger sprockets right across the cassette due to the above.
    Brant, you going to make one?

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

Very clever. That’s what Sram have done with their xx1 and similar rear mechs – offset the top jockey wheel so it takes up more chain slack and keeps it closer to the smaller cogs while allowing clearance on the larger ones. Now if only shimano would do the same…

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

@northwind – you don’t need to change the other side of the cage because you’re not altering the distance between the jockey wheels, just where the cage pivots from, which is all down to one side.

robinlaidlaw

Ooh, I thought about doing that myself but never got round to it. I’ll be having one of those.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

justinbieber – Member

@northwind – you don’t need to change the other side of the cage because you’re not altering the distance between the jockey wheels, just where the cage pivots from, which is all down to one side

Yeah, I figured it out on a second look 😳

robinlaidlaw

Even the normal 10 spd SRAM mechs are like this, the jockey wheel is a little offset from the pivot for the cage. It makes them work a lot better with big adapter sprockets than Shimano set-ups.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

I’ve ordered one so I’ll see how it goes when it gets here.

continuity

It specifically says it’s not for 1×10 trains; which do better with a short cage mech.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

No it doesn’t.

“The RAD cage is a 1×10 11-40/42 specific product only for Med cage derailleurs”

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

That para is a bit confusing.
    I think the confusion is that they’ve used the word ‘short’ when they should probably have used ‘shorter’. i.e. not long cage.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New One Up thing for 1×10 people’ is closed to new replies.