Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New N/W needed, far too much choice.
  • scruff
    Free Member

I’ve dropped a chain a few times lately, my Race Race NW is over 12 months old, some teeth have snapped off and it is looking worn. I’m struggling to justify spending double on a new RF / Renthal / Hope when there are RSP / Superstar for half the price and a design just copied from a more expensive version. Are the cheaper ones Dairylea? Anyone been running a superstar since they came out?

nickc

No, but I have been running a Hope one for 2 years and it’s still going strong

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a direct mount crank? They are great and worth it

richardthird

Just put a £20 On-One Ringmaster 34T on my mates new bike. 11-36T and std long cage XT mech too, but with chain properly shortened. No chain drop yay!

I’ll be getting one when my RF one wears out.

darrenspink
    Free Member

On-one is a good, Hope is better and will last 2, 3, 4 times as long.
    Superstar crap, mine lasted two months before cracking at one of the bolt holes.

Northwind

I kept it pretty simple when I had to replace it, Works were the first people to provide an aftermarket thick/thin, so when I needed another one, they got my money again for leading the crowd. Their product’s as good as anyone’s (when it’s in stock!) and it’s all UK made.

I did get a Superstar one when Works were out, for the other bike, it’s been alright but it’s worn a lot faster. Not convinced it’s going to work out cheaper in the long run.

bigjim

I have just fitted a superstar one and it didn’t appear to be very round, but I’ve used it anyway. Will have a closer look but it seemed to have very noticeable radial and lateral wobbles

cokie

I’ve been using two superstar chainrinings (32t and 34t) for a few months. I’ve had zero issues and they have been wearing better than my works component rings. Bearing in mind I put at least 60 miles on a week through all the winter grime I’m well impressed.

st

Send Clo round to Works to get one from the seconds bin.

Yak

Mrs Yak got around 6months out of an on-one ringmaster before it needed to be replaced. Not bad at the price so replaced with another.

I just use an on-one stainless ring with a top-guide as these last for ages. If a thick/thin stainless one is available when I need to change, then i’ll get one then,.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Been running a superstar one since August last year and all through winter on the hardtail, put around 500 miles on it according to Strava, still looks perfect. I do clean my drivetrain well after every muddy ride though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New N/W needed, far too much choice.’ is closed to new replies.