Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • New Nomad
  • kimbers

650b wheels, natch

looks like theyve updated the reach and HA to almost modern standards

Im not sure if the new colour scheme is an april fool

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-santa-cruz-nomad-2014.html

Houns

Want!

iolo
    Free Member

Probably a numpty question but how different is this to a Bronson?

kimbers

its pink

iolo
    Free Member

It’s blue with a pink sticker. Those cheap looking wheels have pink stickers as well. Nothing a bit of work with a hair dryer can sort out.

kimbers

its also a far bit slacker at the front and has a much longer cockpit

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The black one looks nice.

Why did they have to build it the way I wanted my old NomadC to be. Bugger. This may be an expensive year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

15mm more travel, slacker beefier probably
    [video]http://vimeo.com/90614894[/video]

Great video, I’d have one of the 26″ bikes if I had the terrain for it, I want to demo one somewhere that will actually test it though.

Straight to 1x Only is interesting. Probably a solid choice for the intended uses.

waldo1
    Free Member

The numbers look good. Finally a Shortish rear cs from Santa Cruz.
    I also hated the kickback from the previous vpp, hopefully they’ve addressed the kinematics with this one.

scruff
    Free Member

More info on bikerumor.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

woo hoo someone dropped the kinematics bomb already and JCL hasn’t even got here 🙂
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/au/nomad-carbon#builder
    more info

robidoo
    Free Member

Not sure about that vid, those trails looked pretty tame.

I have a Nomad C are there any vids out there showing how it should be ridden?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

looks very nice that, santa cruz will run away with the top end market soon, theyve always made nice looking bikes, but the last 3 in the bronson, solo and now nomad are pretty stunning to look at! expensive, but stunning

also 28lbs for a 165mm, probably a touch too much for me travel wise, but doubt its a slouch climbing at that weight

toons
    Free Member

Probably a numpty question but how different is this to a Bronson?

slacker
    longer
    lower bb
    steeper seat tube
    more travel
    shorter chain stays
    redesigned VVP

tomhoward

Also comes in murdered out colourways. Or black, to the uninitiated.

Shut up and take my money!

Houns

I love stealth, but also love pink, I’ll have one in each

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how about stealth with pink? Like batman meets barbie

darrenspink
    Free Member

My first thought was that it looked like my 9yr old girls bike.

_tom_
    Free Member

65 degree head angle seems a bit silly, that’s slacker than a lot of DH bikes isn’t it?

portlyone

Like batman meets barbie

Describes how I’d ride it

kimbers

darrenspink – Member
    My first thought was that it looked like my 9yr old girls bike.

ironically with a decent reach and steeper SA its got much less ‘women specific’ geometry than previous Santa Cruz bikes

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not sure about that vid, those trails looked pretty tame.

^this.

I think Santa Cruz make some superb videos to promote their bikes, but I judge the intent of a bike by the trails it’s being ridden on. The Bronson vid last year – with Peaty and co – was a superb pumpy, jumpy mini-downhill promotion, Ratboy’s TRc vid showed that raw talent will make a relatively short-travel bike do some amazing stuff and the 5010 vid filmed up in Scotland was another great example of versatile bikes being ridden harder than the target market will ever manage. This video – promoting their supposed “big bike” – was just a fast hoon down relatively smooth trails. Why do I need 165mm for riding that?

PS At least I know why I can’t drift very well; I’m not grabbing a handful of back brake like these dudes

Houns

Black & Pink just like 2 of my bikes 8)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Expensive beyond comprehension for me, but it looks nice.

Just another bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cfinnimore – Member
    Expensive beyond comprehension for me, but it looks nice.

about the same RRP as the Enduro Expert Carbon
    http://wheelworld.com/product/14specialized-enduro-expert-carbon-29-193286-1.htm

It’s about the price point for top end carbon, 1×11 level kit these days, direct comparison is 4k UK + 20% VAT

tomhoward

I umm, well, it would appear that, I, sort of, might have, errr, ordered one…

kimbers

how much was it tomhoward?

robj20
    Free Member

Same price as the old one, £2699 for the frame.

tomhoward

Rrp is 5899 for xo1, 150 mm reverb stealth, pikes and hope hoops.

Upgrade rrps are £250 to the debonair shock, 300 to go to xx1, 1500 for enve rims, and one for a BOS fork but I forget that.

Full builds only at the moment, frames later in the year. No alloy version.

Had to be quick, jungle sold 90% of their uk allocation in under an hour!

scruff
    Free Member

I wonder what the UK allocation is though?

phildowling
    Free Member

As said above, terrible video compared to there previous offerings.

Looks more like a flowing singletrack, awesome on a hardtail or the Tallboy but not looking the part for the Nomad!

tomhoward

I know what it is, but I’m not putting it on here. Orders are currently at double the first drop. Not sure if I made the cut for the first one. Fingers crossed I’ll have it in 2 weeks!

Edit to previous post, the 250 is an upgrade to a vivid air, from the monarch debonair.

bigjim

65 head angle and that colour scheme, must be april fool?

jameso

I liked that video .. big country riding. Isn’t that what the bike is meant to be about?

Wants

Annoyingly the USD price for a complete bike equates to £4k – why are we constantly ripped off in the UK?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like the blue and pink!

It’s nice to see SC putting proper length top tubes on their bikes at last. 65 degrees on a bigger wheels is pretty slack.

My Rune is 65.5 (neutral flip chips) and it climbs fine for a chunky bike so I guess this should too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I liked that video .. big country riding. Isn’t that what the bike is meant to be about?

It’s not exactly big terrain though. The way I interpreted the video was “Here’s a bike that is more bike than you need to ride these trails, but since it’s so heavy and ponderous up hill we’ll get some nags to give you a lift to the top then pick you up when you get to the road”.

There are other bikes in the SC range that would be more than capable of riding those trails at those speeds and still be versatile enough to ride there and back as well.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Annoyingly the USD price for a complete bike equates to £4k – why are we constantly ripped off in the UK?

I don’t think those prices include local taxes, also different import duties to the UK. Pretty sure it’s cheaper to export into the US than the other way round.

Also of course we (or some) are willing to pay (biggest reason).

jameso

ST, I didn’t read that much into it, just saw big hills, big bikes and some guys having fun on them by going PDQ. I’m a sucker for the landscapes and not very bothered about the bike itself, looks good though. A bigger bike than most will need but that’s never been a reason to dismiss anyones choices – I’m not going into the ‘over-biked’ stuff! : )

codybrennan
    Free Member

A woman in Wellington wet her whistle with a wild man
    From way back when,
    She sucked her thumb and she held her head for the man she didn’t ken
    A Nip in Nippon napped a nod and knew a new nomad[/i]
    Near the nearside window of his Mitsubishi
    His kid was scared he said he thought it was something new

Just like nothing on earth

(sorry)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘New Nomad’ is closed to new replies.