Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New mtb advice
  • moorsey72
    Free Member

So, cleared most my stable out to buy my dream build ti drop bar mtb/gravel bike. But now considering getting another mtb for local trails. Ride with a load of full sussers on evening trail rides which I can handle on my gravel bike except the odd drop off. I can sense its going to end in tears though so considering n+1. So santa cruz 5010, chameleon or specialized stumpy comp are in the mix at the mo. I know the chameleon is a hardtail but just love the look of it. Any experiences or advice?

w00dster

Guess it depends on budget?
    Similar position and I’ve just bought an Orange Crush…..couldn’t be happier for my normal riding. But when I bought the hardtail I already had a 150mm full sus in the garage and wanted something for the tamer trails.
    If you can do it on a gravel bike a trail bike may be overkill?

If I was buying a FS at the moment without spending silly money, I’d be looking at the Spesh Status. I’d go for 160mm, but also available in 140 flavour

£2900

status

moorsey72
    Free Member

I could probably get away with those runs on the hardtail, suppose I was considering whether it would be a big upgrade to have a full suss for Llandegla trips

moorsey72
    Free Member

The status was one I was initially drawn to, actually really like it. I’m normally drawn to steel/ti bikes and that bike has that more raw look to it. Just haven’t heard much about it. Any experience?

stcolin
    Free Member

to have a full suss for Llandegla trips

If it’s worth anything, I have more fun on my hardtail at Llandegla than my 160mm full sus. Only downside is slightly stiffer legs the next day.

fazzini

The status was one I was initially drawn to, actually really like it. I’m normally drawn to steel/ti bikes and that bike has that more raw look to it. Just haven’t heard much about it. Any experience?

@weeksy
    will no doubt be able to provide experience on this one

I’d love the 140 myself

weeksy

Aye, we’ve got a Status here and i’ve ridden it a bit. It’s very much a slack setup on the front end, so a little ‘wandery’ at times i feel. However on the way downhill it’s very planted (keeping your weight central, not sitting back that is) and the suspension is an absolute peach. The Fox 36s matched with the DPX2 is lovely.
    If i’m being very picky here, the paint isn’t amazing and can mark easier than some i’ve had/seen, but we’ve put a DyedBro kit on ours to help and it’s good.

The frame, bearings, linkages etc are all really nice… Some people slate the NX mech on the back end but we’ve never had an issue.

Riding it though it’s a cracking bike and flies downhill, cross terrain and uphill it’s not a lightweight carbon bike, but it’s not a 16kg enduro sled either.

I’ve seen my lad do massive 25-35′ gaps and 10′ drops on it, so i have no doubt about it’s build quality.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2noYDd6]2022-05-31_07-55-36[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

intheborders
    Free Member

Ride with a load of full sussers on evening trail rides which I can handle on my gravel bike except the odd drop off.

If you can (almost) get around on your gravel bike then it sounds mild stuff, look at a 120mm FS (at the most) and under the recommend what you have, get a Cotic Flare Max.

It’ll handle anything, right up to the blackest of blacks – so future-proofed too.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Given my love for all things steel the flaremax was very much on my like list as well, I didn’t want to put an exhaustive list up. Definitely in the mix, I think my biggest decision at the moment revolves around whether I go full suss or HT. I’ve never ridden full suss so may be a case of going to a demo day. I thought I’d decided 100% full suss until I saw the chameleon which made me go all fuzzy. Would probably regret not getting a full suss though?

Marin
    Free Member

I always opt for HT at Degla full bouncy is bit of overkill but horses for courses as the say. I also only ride it in winter when weather’s been awful.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Is it overkill because of your skill level or is it not a big upgrade to go full suss? Just asking because I’m bloody useless and middle-aged 😊

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.