Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New model of LBS?
  • Neb

Thought this was an interesting idea for the future of the LBS…

“bike shop is inviting customers in to order their direct bikes in-store, rather than lose them to online shopping”

linky

(Apologies if done already, I did look …)

rOcKeTdOg

Ribble birmingham have a few showroom bikes & computer terminals. No actual bikes to buy on site

jaylittle
    Free Member

I used to work for a large mail order bike company. Mostly low end stuff. They had the idea of doing this too. Showroom with a few display bikes then everything is ordered.

Neb

I like idea of a proper bike fit, enter the details into a computer and get 10 bikes that would fit well. Fair enough it would be easier with road bikes, but it would take the risk out a little.

If they set it up, exchange parts and 6 week service that would be ace too!

wilburt
    Free Member

Look back a couple of years of LBS threads I suggested this. I would extend it to any website and let the shop be a delivery address.

Neb

I think being able to take a couple of demo bikes out to get the feel for things, then being able to say “I liked this, but didn’t like this. This felt too short, this was too long” put the details back into the machine to get a recommendation from practically every manufacturer in the world would be fantastic.

mattsccm
    Free Member

So they have all these bikes in stock?
    Doubt that so how does it work any better than the current situation where you either go to a shop, pay up and ride away or go online and it lands on your doorstep.
    No doubt i am missing a point.

tonyg2003

My LBS moved a couple of doors down and now is 50% workshop and bikefit. The owner says he’s doing much better on service than anything else. Usually 1-2 people on the counter and 2-3 on the workshop side. That is the way forward for LBS I think.

lustyd
    Free Member

Athlete Service in Henley on Thames (no connection) have a large workshop just inside the door opposite their proper Italian coffee machine and cake shop. They have picnic tables inside to sit at which have sample bike computers to try as you sip your latte. This means the mechanic can chat and serve customers while remaining productive. Also gives confidence to see them work!
    If you walk past all this they also have some bikes and parts for sale at the back next to where you can park your bike indoors while you have a coffee.

This to me is the future of LBS. The profits come from coffee and cake. They make a bit from high quality bike servicing and both of those fund enough stock parts to rescue a ride.

I don’t see any point in mtb demos at a LBS. Trail centres have demo days for mtb and are a better location because you can actually try the bike properly. I can see road bike demos starting at a bike shop, and participated in a clothing demo day at AS where we discussed the product over coffee afterwards.

Personally I’m a bad use case for LBS as I build my own including wheels and my components are never stock items because, well, I’m a bike snob. I’d hate to lose local shops so all these ideas to keep them in profit are great.

Let’s face it though, coffee is probably the answer looking at the high street!

leffeboy

Service does seem to be where it is at. This guy started 6 years ago with only himself using a bullit iirc. He is now just opening his second proper shop this week :).

http://www.velofixer.com/en.html

Got to love it when it works. The shop he is taking over was one of those old school type places where everything is in the bottom of a cardboard box somewhere and although the people were nice to talk to it didn’t feel very in control or efficient. The Velofixer place is simple, uncluttered and friendly

cookeaa

While it’s wonderful that two google-showrooms are now open in Surrey…

Maison du Velo…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New model of LBS?’ is closed to new replies.