Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New Maxxis Shorty 2
  • lawman91

Just perusing the Maxxis site and found this:

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-593-140-shorty-gen-2

New Shorty on the way, surprised there’s no other info online yet!

mahalo

take my money.

only 2.4 wide though by the looks of it.

momo

Might explain why they’ve been so thin on the ground! Been on the hunt for one for a while.

grahamt1980

Will be getting a set of them for the dh bike then. Had some 26″ ones that were great

pothead
    Free Member

only 2.4 wide though by the looks of it.

Double Down or DH casing only as well

richmtb

looks pretty similar to another tyre, can’t think which one though

impatientbull

The 29 inch Maxx Terra is listed as Exo casing so I suspect the 27.5 inch Maxx Terra being marked at DD is a mistake, especially considering the relative weights.

impatientbull

looks pretty similar to another tyre, can’t think which one though

Quite similar to the WTB Verdict:

https://www.wtb.com/products/verdict-verdict-wet-2-5

Northwind

Not sure why they’re going skinnier tbh, the 2.5 maxxgrip got a ton of its performance from the sheer size imo- not for mud, but for mixed mud-and-other-stuff.

No Exo or Exo+ Maxxgrip in 29er though 🙁 I don’t want a DD or DH front tyre on the enduro bike

honourablegeorge

Northwind

No Exo or Exo+ Maxxgrip in 29er though 🙁 I don’t want a DD or DH front tyre on the enduro bike

I’m sure they’l figure it out in 3 or 4 years, just like they have for rear tyres.

Hope they don’t go the way of Schwalbe and decide tyres need to be 1250g minimum to work

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite similar to the WTB Verdict:

More like the Spesh Hillbilly IMO.

Will probably get one at some point, if only because it’s killing me pedalling my Verdict Wet about.

sharkattack

I’m not buying any unless they’re at least £70 each. I think the price of tyres has been too low for too long.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not buying any unless they’re at least £70 each. I think the price of tyres has been too low for too long.

Thanks to Brexit, I feel you could be in luck sunshine.

Kamakazie

Yep, looks like a Hillbilly.

Northwind

chakaping

Thanks to Brexit, I feel you could be in luck sunshine.

Mostly for Maxxis, brexit just means we can’t get some of the tyres we want at all. Maxxis’s UK distribution has always been half-assed and EU imports helped cancel it out but at least 2 of the best sources for that now don’t ship here.

swanny853

It looks like a new hillbilly, which means, like the new hillbilly, there’s a reasonable chance it will be better all round but less good for the reasons I bought it in the first place….

I like the new hillbilly, but I liked the old one better- I was going to buy a shorty when this one wore out!

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I’d like to give one a go, but was hoping Maxxis might bring back the lighter non EXO 29 option. Suited my purposes quite well. 994g is a fair chunk. Wonder if it rolls any better. After intensive Garmin studying I concluded the old one knocked 3-4mph off cruising speed, not that any mud tyre is great for rolling resistance.

jimmy

2.4 seems like the right size to new. Won’t be needing one for a while fortunately!

sillyoldman

@Northwind – current version of Shorty is due in to Madison in MaxxGrip Exo version in April…. now would be nice, but I’m all too aware that it’s usefulness window is wider than just winter here in Glasgow! I’m tragically excited.

Edit – just logged in to see if the date has moved, and the listing has disappeared…. ☹️

Northwind

Lol, why are we even talking about sizes, this is Maxxis we’re talking about, it’s 2.4 but measured with a rubber ruler on a galloping horse.

clubby

True, I thought they already did it in a 2.4. At least that’s what mine measures up on a 30mm ID rim.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New Maxxis Shorty 2’ is closed to new replies.