• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ben_H.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Maxxis Forekaster: goodbye to damp, hello to downcountry?
  • Ben_Haworth

The new version of the Maxxis Forekaster has ditched any of its previous damp duties. It’s no longer a XC tyre for damp conditions. Or is it?

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

New Maxxis Forekaster: goodbye to damp, hello to downcountry?

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

lawman91

Spied these on Geoff Kabush’s instagram a few weeks back, think I need some of these! Nice to see they’re finally offering it aftermarket in a 3C version, always annoyed me you could get the old Forekaster in 3C OE but not standalone!

honourablegeorge

Yeah, no 3c was a dealbreaker for me, esp for a damp conditions tyre.

These look good, although hard to know where it sits vs the Dissector. Would you have this front with a dissector rear?

devash
    Free Member

The old Forekaster was basically Maxxis version of the Nobby Nic, but then Schwalbe updated the Nic tread with more aggressive and closely spaced cornering knobs and which improved that tyre immensely.

This new Forekaster looks almost identical to the newer Nic, just with the trademark Maxxis ramped centre tread.

These look good, although hard to know where it sits vs the Dissector.

I’d also love to know this. A lot of people are running Dissectors up front on downcountry / short travel bikes, myself included. Slightly faster rolling speed with the same grip could have me changing to one of these new ones.

danieljohnreynolds

Got a bargain Forekaster/Reckon (front/rear) 2nd hand from a lad who took them unused off his oEM Orbea- delighted to have them and only 40 quid or so. Was going to use them as a summer set now that it looks like summers is here for a few weeks! Swapping out a DHF/Dissector but intrigued about the potential of having a potential ‘shoulder’ season combo of Dissector/forekaster!!!!!!!!
    @honourablegeorge I reckon it would be Dissector up front, no?

lawman91

Dissector will be more aggressive than this, I liked the Dissector but it did occasionally feel vague when leaned over due to the big gap between centre lugs and side tread.

This pretty much looks like a love child of the old Forekaster and the Assegai. I’d say its been a Dissector and Rekon as a guess. So probably Minion/Dissector up front and one of these out back if you wanted a bit more speed, or new Forekaster both ends for extra extra speed.

I’ll be after these as soon as they’re available. Shame they’re quoting them as so heavy, the 29×2.4 is claimed at 945g, which puts it same weight as a Dissector and 2.3 DHR II. Was hoping it would be closer to 850g but still very keen to give them a go!

dukeduvet

I have the now older version and quite happy with it. It needs a bit more volume (2.35) but it was fine round a very muddy ashton court at new year. 3C is a good addition but I really don’t want a tyre just shy of 1kg for my riding. Off to buy one before they are out of stock!

lawman91

Looks like we’ll have to wait to find out how good they are, due in stock in March 2024!! 😲😲😲

joebristol

I thought the old Forekaster was ok for what it was. Run a 2.6 x 27.5 one on my hardtail for a lot of the year. When it’s really dry and dusty I swap it for a slaughter.

The Forekaster rolls ok / brakes ok and actually it does a pretty good job when it’s wet. Lighter than the equivalent dhr2 and on that bike it probably doesn’t need as much grip as on the fs bike which has got a dhr2 on it in the slop.

Ben_H

Joe will know that I run a pair of old Forekasters in 2.2 flavour on my 100mm-forked 29er XC hardtail. Originally as OE tyres in 3C trimming and latterly non-3C aftermarket. They seemed like a decent tyre for my needs, especially for the weight – but I miss the 3C compound on my newer pair.

Looks like I’ll be looking towards their more XC-orientated models next time, which is a shame as I like the larger side knobles than is typical for a light tyre. There are no sub-800g 29er Forekasters now, with only one (wired) 29er option in 2.25.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.