Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New MacBook Air rumours – anyone know anything?
  • wl
    Free Member

Folk are saying there might be a new MacBook Air out in a week or two. Anyone know anythingt about this? Likelihood of it being true, and what the changes/costs might be? About to drop a grand on a MacBook Pro but don’t want to puke if a significantly improved new Air comes out the day after. Ta for any info.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve heard that it is 23.76% better looking. Just ponder how awesome it will look on a coffee shop table!

😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

Folk are saying

Who?

New Apple tech is usually announced at their ‘events’, and not just willy nilly. Next one is WWDC 2014 in June. So would be surprised if anything before then.

wl
    Free Member

Jamie – just a couple of techy guys I know. Personally, I know bugger all about this sort of thing, apart from knowing I’d rather wait if a better deal is just around the corner.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you are going to wait, then after WWDC is your best bet.

I currently have a MBA, couple of years old now, and am fairly confident a new one will be announced then.

ryderredman
    Free Member

What Jamie said. I’m really hoping that there’s an MBP refresh in June. Macrumors seem to believe that their making a 12″ Air if that’s what you’re into. I think.

I’m coming out of uni and have wanted one for 5 years, the thought of spending that whilst I’m still a student scared me though. I can almost feel the unibody 😀

asherh
    Free Member

I’m coming out of uni and have wanted one for 5 years, the thought of spending that whilst I’m still a student scared me though. I can almost feel the unibody

Decent discount if you order on your Uni’s network though!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The MacRumors site is exactly that, however on this I think they have a good lead. Whether Apple will continue with (say) 11″ and 13″ Airs with a new 12″ retina Air or whether they reduce the choice of screen size it’s seems very likely thee will be a new retina Air quite soon.

As for waiting for technology, that’s always a bit pointless and there will always be something better along “soon”. The plus with Apple is kit has good second hand value so you can sell and buy the new release each year or two.

In terms of the range the Air and Maczbook Pro are quite similar in weight really since the Pro slimmed down, the Air is super thin and also the CPU is deliberately slowed so it uses less power and thus has longer battery life.

OP wait for the new Air to decide and get 8gb RAM and 256SSD – storage you can add externally in the future if you need it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, if this is correct, then colour me incorrect.

I can only assume it’s such an small incremental update, it’s not worth releasing at a big event like WWDC.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Decent discount if you order on your Uni’s network though!

Or if you happened to know plenty of students 😉

Personally I hope they don’t do anything until I have a job an can afford to upgrade my 2008 MacBook. Then they can release lots of shiny stuff 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pete Tuesday is a special day. There is a bit of a geek’s in-joke about Tuesday releases especially on the Mac Mini thread. There are a lot of us hoping for a refresh of the Mini, any Tuesday will do.

@Jamie WWDC could annoiunce something big like iWatch, with sales to start in Autumn. A new 12″ retina Air they can announce now.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would be very surprised if it’s a retina 12″ MBA.

…but them I am usually wrong 8)

kelvin

THANK YOU

I was buying a refurb MacBook Air for my mum yesterday, but then saw this.
    By buying today instead I got the 256GB version for the price I was going to pay for the 128GB yesterday.

Sweet!

By the way, the Apple refurb store now has Airs for as little as £549.

tomtomthepipersson

Just bought the missus a 13″ Air – 80 quid cheaper than it was yesterday. Nice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Updated Air released (better processor) and a price drop

Air Upgrade – MacRumor

bob_summers

Was thinking of getting the 13″ for skool next year but maybe they’re a bit long in the tooth now. Chances of the 12″ appearing before Sept?
    Or, since I’d be dual booting to Linux (prob. bin the mac OS altogether), maybe worth looking at this?

criteria – has to be dead light for the commute, hook up to a projector (vga, or hdmi with adaptor) and USB interactive whiteboard, and last a schoolday without charge (though for the macbook at least, there are chargers knocking around anyway)

footflaps

Or, since I’d be dual booting to Linux

Do you really need Linux, MacOS is BSD based, a linux variant…

bob_summers

Makes more sense for me, been using yum and apt based distros for years and I’m not keen on the OSX dm. Currently using an old white macbook running suse and enlightenment, much faster than whatever mac os it had.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New MacBook Air rumours – anyone know anything?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts