Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • New long travel 29ers …. What’s about.
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Haha, sorry 🙂

I sold my Sentinel, as I wanted something the equivalent of an XL with a bit more travel, but it was still a great bike though.

renton
    Free Member

How tall are you hob nob and what size Sentinel did you have ?

davosaurusrex

Knowing a bit about you Renton, and at the risk of sending the haters into meltdown, I’d recommend an ebike (“there’s nothing wrong with him, he just needs to get fit! why won’t you let him get fit? Why are you encouraging him to cheat??!!” etc etc) I’d recommend an ebike. I reckon you’d absolutely love it and would ride way more than ever (assuming you have the spare time)

Test winning 2019 Vitus E-Sommets are out soon

legend
    Free Member

GW approved 2019 Vitus E-Sommets are out soon

FTFY

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Its a great read

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/cotic-flaremax-review.html

The frame did get a little heavier for 2018 because I decided to up spec the down tube and seatstays, based on feedback o̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶k̶e̶s̶.̶  *cough* *cough* people are breaking them *cough* *cough* so we added more material to make up for a shit design *cough*

renton
    Free Member

Davo……… Thanks but I’d rather do it under my own steam mate .!

coomber
    Free Member

raybanwomble haven’t your gripes been dealt with already, rather brilliantly it seemed, by cotic?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-strong-should-an-enduro-bike-be/

Renton given your record of changing bikes, i’d suggest a decent test on any you choose. You liked your old orange 29er didnt you? That should be easy to demo. Cotics also easy. Bird available to hire at Swinley etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How tall are you hob nob and what size Sentinel did you have ?

6’2″ & was on an L.

Probably should have just gone straight to an XL in reality, but I did it as a bit of a cheap experiment to see if I wanted something bigger with a steeper seat tube angle & XL’s were hard to come by second hand.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

raybanwomble haven’t your gripes been dealt with already, rather brilliantly it seemed, by cotic?

Wow, just wow.

pigyn
    Free Member

I am running offers on some LT 29ers just now..XL Sentinels, Large alu and carbon frames, large Stage 6 frame etc etc

https://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/product-category/instocksale/

Let’s keep this to shameless pluggery and less cotic bashing 🐈

vincienup
    Free Member

More than a little amazed by the length of grudge raybanwomble seems to hold…

Without going back through the thread, I seem to recall that there wasn’t an awful lot of honesty and plenty of hyperbole in the claims, and that the person whose bike it actually was (not rayban) didn’t even have a problem with the resolution provided by the manufacturer?

I’d be trying to forget a thread like that rather than dragging it up apropos of nothing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oof, you could have warned us about that Orbea Wild FS though Pigyn!

While we’re plugging, I’ve got a large Smuggler frame and bits I’m moving on soon – just in case that’s of interest.

The poster above was spot on about the way they feel bottomless, and mine can be tuned from “trail” to “enduro” with a quick shock and/or bushing swap.

chakaping
    Free Member

More than a little amazed by the length of grudge raybanwomble seems to hold…

Some people just can’t help getting angry about everything.

Reminds me of my 10-year-old autistic daughter, sadly.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

autistic

Ableist.

That’s pretty offensive to autistic people, I’m just an arsehole.

chakaping
    Free Member

**** off somewhere else you miserable ****.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Some people just can’t help getting angry about everything.

**** off somewhere else you miserable ****.

marksnook
    Free Member

I did wonder if mention of that thread would stir some problems! It was a very entertaining thread though!

Im very 29er curious, testing a rocketmax next week (coincidence I mentioned Cotic!) hoping to test a sentinel too

renton
    Free Member

So……<b> </b>jist doing reading up on the sentinel and comparing it to the s150

Both larges have a reach of 475mm but the Whyte has a top tube of 640 whereas the sentinel has a top tube of 611 ??

Now that is shorter than the Codiene I am looking to replace.

Codiene had a reach of 420 though ?

So will the transition feel even shorter than the Codiene despite having a reach 5.5 cm longer ?

Should I consider a XL ?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-new-radon-swoop-170.html

This looks nice, although I have said that 29ers are a fad this could be tempting.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi

I have a 2017 Slash that I built up from a frame and it’s fantastic but a bit of a steam roller and therefore I don’t use it as a general trail bike.

My Following is much more playful and involving and I have a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc that is a better xc/trail bike than both of them.

I honestly can’t decide which of the 3 to use for the Ardrock next year. I ride in Reeth all of the time and any of them would do the job.

Have also owned a first generation Carbine 29er (with140 rear travel) and that is a fantastic bike which I would still have if I’d bought the correct size and could easily be used for the OPs intended use.

Im 6ft and bought a medium second hand and it was just too short. The mate I sold it to managed to pick up a large frame on eBay which I hadn’t been able to source and swapped the frame over and I would have that in a second.

The latest version of the Carbine sounds more like the Slash but I’ve not ridden one.

Cheers

Steve

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Both larges have a reach of 475mm but the Whyte has a top tube of 640 whereas the sentinel has a top tube of 611 ??

Now that is shorter than the Codiene I am looking to replace.

Codiene had a reach of 420 though ?

So will the transition feel even shorter than the Codiene despite having a reach 5.5 cm longer ?

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Should I consider a XL ?</span>

Because the STA on the Sentinel is steeper. it puts you in a more central position on top of the bike, rather than out over the back wheel (especially when you take into account seat post height).

Potentially you may find your position with regards to your knee to bar distance isn’t actually much different, but you will be much more ‘upright’ on the bike, rather than hinging at the hips more. You will find the pedals are a lot more under you, rather than that feeling of pedaling a recumbent…

coomber
    Free Member

Renton you need to stop reading too much and try a bike. £3000 is a lot of money to be making a decision on a forum. Just try some and take 2 demos if you have to. I’d suggest some of the options might be overbiked depending on the riding you are doing as well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

how tall are you renton?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Renton you need to stop reading too much and try a bike. £3000 is a lot of money to be making a decision on a forum. Just try some and take 2 demos if you have to. I’d suggest some of the options might be overbiked depending on the riding you are doing as well.

This. Lots of this.

If I didn’t race, there is no way I would have the (bigger) bike I do. It’s bit of a heavy pig to ride on anything more mellow. It’s a combination of the travel & the more progressive geometry.

My shorter travel (& much lighter) Fuel EX is my main bike, but still fairly progressive geometry. It makes much more sense than a massive, long bike with a ~64 degree HA.

pipiom
    Free Member

Still some great deals left on 2018 Intense Carbine. Well happy with mine at that price.

Intense Carbine

chakaping
    Free Member

Take your time and demo a few more bikes, my experience is you can get away with a bit more travel on a lively pedaling bike and still enjoy tamer trails – but the trade-off might be the bike is less of a plough when things cut up rough.

But also geometry is way more important than an extra 20 or 30mm suspension in the rear. So I’d say demo the Cotic FlareMax as well as the RocketMax.

The new Radon Swoop 29 looks amazing, but it’s not what you need Renton. Unless you wanna buy a medium and sell it to me in a few months?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Rizla tyre clearance on the carbon ones though?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be fair, the clearance isn’t much better on the alloy models. A 2.5 WT made a right mess of mine, and that was ridden only in the dry. 2.3 is probably the max IMO.

renton
    Free Member

Im not rushing into things, just doing more reading up and research.

I like the look of the swoop but even I know it will be too much bike for me !

Im 6 foot 1 with a wide span.

Although i enjoyed riding it the codeine always felt a little small. I was on a large with a 60mm stem and layback post with seat right back.

i had a ride of a large s150crs and that felt really nice but could have been a little longer and a touch higher at the front for it to be perfect. As soon as you look at the Xl the seat tube lengths are to long to be able to run a dropper with a decent drop.

The Xl Sentinel looks good but Im not sure if it will be too much bike for everyday riding etc?

transition1
    Free Member

I have a 2017 XL smuggler with 170mm dropper & am only 6ft. It fits great. ST is 19.5” what old large frames used to be. or for lots more money the new Ripmo

chakaping
    Free Member

The Xl Sentinel looks good but Im not sure if it will be too much bike for everyday riding etc?

Depends what your everyday riding is, but I’d expect it would be.

Maybe you need to try some slack, short-travel shred sleds as well as the LT ones – like the Flaremax as I suggested before. It’s probably not the bike you think it is.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’m going to be demoing the new Stanton swtich9er F.S. soon….

pigyn
    Free Member

The Smuggler carbon frames are a bit tight on top, but not bad as the internet doom mongers make out. My girlfriends setup is 25mm rims with a new style 2.35 Hans Dampf and it’s all good.

On the flip side, they fit 27.5×2.8 REALLY well with bags of room all round, when I get round to servicing my plus wheels they are going on for ‘testing’

mboy
    Free Member

i had a ride of a large s150crs and that felt really nice but could have been a little longer and a touch higher at the front for it to be perfect.

Like I said mate… Change the fork shaft from a 150 to 160 or put some slightly higher rise bars on it and that’s that fixed…

Been out again tonight on my S-150 C RS shop demo bike, it’s an absolute weapon! A real grower, doesn’t immediately reveal just how capable it is, but the more you ride it the more you realise just how fast/capable/confidence inspiring it is…

BearBack
    Free Member

Just posted my large Genius tuned in the classifieds. I can bring it to the UK late Nov/early Dec if I nail down a buyer before I leave.

wl
    Free Member

+1 Orange Stage 5 or 6 if you want a bit more fun, a bit less steamroller. Both very capable bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

wl – I was chatting with an Alpine owner last weekend (I have a Stage 6), saying the new bikes feel more like a scalpel than a plough to ride.

Not that I’m saying anyone should try to ride a scalpel, before I get sued.

sprocker
    Free Member

I have a 2019 genius in XL at 6 1, they are well worth a look, 64.5 with 160 fork on and reach around 500mm. Find the rear travel adjust really useful and a decent weight as well.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Make me an offer for my XL Hightower 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘New long travel 29ers …. What’s about.’ is closed to new replies.