Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New LeJoG record
  • Premier Icon epicyclo

Christina MacKenzie from Stirling has just beaten the 2002 women’s record this morning.

She rode 839 miles in just over 51 hours.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

Assuming this is 51 hrs riding time, how much riding a day etc? When did she start?

Premier Icon mick_r

I would assume continuous riding if same as the men’s record which is under 44 hours….

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

No way, so actually 51 hrs start to finish including breaks/sleep etc? I was pretty impressed before but thats insane.
    So avge speed is 16mph, which in reality must have been higher as surely some sleep/rest was had?? Wow.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

No way, so actually 51 hrs start to finish including breaks/sleep etc? I was pretty impressed before but thats insane.

Yep, 51.05.05 total time including all breaks
    https://live.opentracking.co.uk/lejogcm21/?v=qpLIYwuUIe

Was watching the live tracking dot at various points since she started and then had it on from about Wick onwards for the last 15 miles. Thought at one point she might scrape in under 51hrs but it was quite a strong head/cross wind in the final stretch. She’s beaten the old record by about 90 minutes.

So avge speed is 16mph, which in reality must have been higher as surely some sleep/rest was had?? Wow.

She did the first 125 miles in 5hrs!

Premier Icon scotroutes

I was planning to head out onto the A9 to cheer her on but it was 1am and we were well into the wine by then 😂

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

That tracking link doesn’t show rest or anything? Trying to work out how/when/if she ever stopped?

That’s really quite strong. I’m off to donate.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Assuming this is 51 hrs riding time

It’ll be 51hrs total I think, including rests (which will be brief).

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Assuming this is 51 hrs riding time, how much riding a day etc?

Don’t be daft. It’s total time. Otherwise it would be completely meaningless. I could easily beat a 51 hours riding time record if I was sad enough to want to, and lucky enough to have 3 weeks spare and a support crew.

Always confuses me when people quote just the moving time on endurance rides.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

That tracking link doesn’t show rest or anything? Trying to work out how/when/if she ever stopped?

It doesn’t NOW no. When it was live, the dot would stop moving for brief periods.
    Once the record is verified, they’ll probably publish a proper map and set of timings.

The dips in this graph show where some time is lost due to stops:

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

So maybe a decent rest after what looks like a ruddy hideous climb. I dunno if I could 51 hrs without sleep just walking, that really is some achievement.

Premier Icon bigG
    Free Member

We went to see her last night just north of Perth and she was motoring along at around half past seven. Given that she’d been riding for over 36 hours, with a few very brief breaks and no sleep, by that time it was pretty impressive that she managed a smile.

I’ve read it’s an avge moving speed circa 20mph (considering some of the climbs that’s amazing). I’ve ridden with Christina a few times on club rides and she’s quite possibly the most understated and modest individuals I’ve met.

So happy that she’s achieved this after her unsuccessful attempt a couple of years ago.

RRA link

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Is that real? That would be 25mph avg speed !! solo !!

Premier Icon franksinatra

125 miles in 5 hours?
    839 miles in 51 hours?

That is not her biggest achievement. According the article in the Scotsman about this new record, “She also completed the London to Brighton bike ride in 2014.”

That is epic.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Is that real? That would be 25mph avg speed !! solo !!

Yeah but it’s all up the A30 which, while a horrendous road, is wide and open and she had a big tailwind. She was also on a TT bike for the whole ride.

Premier Icon DickBarton

She is a seriously strong rider and as BigG has said, very modest with her abilities and achievements. She is a really nice person and this has been well deserved as I’ve seen her out and about training for this and the training hasn’t been easy going by what she has been doing when she passes.

Brilliant news.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

What @crazy-legs said, it’s been seriously windy down here over the last couple of days, like 20-30kph SW wind blowing all day long.

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

Christ, I couldn’t hold 25mph unless I fell off a cliff. Huge achievement.

Premier Icon zippykona

If I drove that in 2 days I’d need a serious nap afterwards!

Premier Icon john_l

Just to put this into perspective, a good friend of mine (Dom Irvine) broke the LEJOG tandem record with his partner, Charlie, a couple of years ago at their 3rd attempt in a little over 46hrs.

So to complete this in 51, solo is just bonkers!

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Amazing achievement. Here is me super proud doing 100 miles at 17mph to break 6 hours a few years ago Just shows how superlative what she did was.

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Yeah but it’s all up the A30 which, while a horrendous road, is wide and open and she had a big tailwind.

Makes sense, but still one hell of a speed to start an 800 mile ride at. Kudos.

Premier Icon Houns

Awesome achievement

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Christ, I couldn’t hold 25mph unless I fell off a cliff.

To be fair, you wouldn’t hold 25mph in that scenario either unless you were wearing exceedingly baggy shorts……. like 4 metre wide shorts 🙂

Premier Icon tomhoward

She’s averaged a higher speed over the 51hrs than I manage on my, mostly downhill, 5 mile commute.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.