Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New kids bike- Decathlon Rockrider ST920 24″
  • dai3015
    Free Member

During the lock down my two have really taken to riding their bikes. They’ve currently got an islabike and a frog but really fancied an MTB to do some more gentle trail riding.
    Having had a good look around at all the usual suspects, I saw that Decathlon have a new kids 24″ wheel bike, the Rockrider ST 920.
    Spec is really good. Suntour xcr air forks, tektro hydraulic brakes and Shimano altus 1×9 drive train for £350.
    Anyway, bike has arrived and son is really pleased. Rides well and weight is not too bad at 12kg.
    Just thought I’d share in case anyone else is looking for a good quality 24″ wheeled bike
    Will try and put some pics up later

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb bikes, my 13 year old daughter inherited the wife’s 650b rockrider when she grew out of her 26″ Frog, only a year old, it’s a cracking wee bike.

Enjoy.

trumpton
    Free Member

Well done.like the fact that it has an air fork. Great to see kids getting into mtb

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – my son will need a 24 inch wheel bike in the coming year and will consider this.

trumpton
    Free Member

Does it have gripshift or paddles

dai3015
    Free Member

It’s got a Shimano Altus trigger shifter
    Cheers

trumpton
    Free Member

Thanks

dai3015
    Free Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6aq3CwmZE5sEvETA
    I can’t seem to get the pic to upload, sorry

ads678

That looks wicked!

jay_tht
    Free Member

Got to say that looks ace.

johnnystorm

Some of their adults bikes look a bit “challenging” but that looks great!

lunge

Looks cracking, and getting the kid onto skinwalls early on is great parenting too!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Trying to decided if to get my boy (9 next months about 136cm) a 24″ or push it out to a 26″. There seems to be a lot nicer 24″ wheeled exampled out there.

julians
    Free Member

the vitus nucleus 24 looks pretty good too, but is a fair bit more than the rockrider above.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-nucleus-24-youth-bike-2020/rp-prod181444

The other option is the nukeproof cub scout 24, but thats even more pricey than the vitus.

Cub Scout 24″ Sport 2020

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

how is the rockrider doing?

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

That’s a lovely looking wee bike – I can’t wait to get my two on something like this before too long. I hope he’s loving it?!

dai3015
    Free Member

He loves it!

Made a few mods – put a suntour JR crankset on with a 30t chainring and fitted a 40t cassette – makes it much easier for him now (it was 36t chainring and 36t casesste)
    Also fitted some nice light weight Schwalbe tyres, but to be fair, out of the box it’s pretty well spec’d

He can pretty much climb most things within his skillset now and loves it – it’s a proper little mountain bike and, in my opinion, great value

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

how does one bleed tektro hydraulic brakes? is the fork serviceable?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@dai3015 where did you get the cranks and the cassette from? Can you install them with the existing BB?

Don’t suppose you have set it up tubeless?

I’ve ordered one for my lad but he likes to use an easy gear (Just like his dad) , so I’m conscious of the gearing.

dai3015
    Free Member

I already had the cranks from a previous build, but I picked them up from Ebay or Amazon (Can’t remember which,sorry)

It’s a square taper so fits to existing BB, no problem.

Cassette is a cheap Chinese one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0781DHGJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Existing rear mech worked with a longer B screw

I haven’t set it up tubeless, but the new tyres are tubeless so might well do in the future – they’ll need schraeder valves though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New kids bike- Decathlon Rockrider ST920 24″’ is closed to new replies.