New Kaffenback

Home Forum Bike Forum New Kaffenback

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • New Kaffenback
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I was looking at the complete bikes earlier and failing to justify owning one to myself.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

(p)rice is with a fork. Old price was frame only. I think £249.99 is pretty fair.

Mowgli

Ah ok. I’m sure the old frame were going for about £149, so is the fork about £100? Perhaps those were clearance prices.

I definitely prefer the look of this version over the one with swap-outs, although mounting a rack might be trickier now.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Ah ok. I’m sure the old frame were going for about £149, so is the fork about £100? Perhaps those were clearance prices.

I signed off the sample of this new version on the last day of the Tour De France last year. It’s taken us that long to clear through the Swapout models and we’re still not all out of them.

Yes – £149 was (is) very much a clearance price.

Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

Looks good, and the longer toptube would work for me. I wonder if the new tubeset is heavier or lighter? Fork appears more tapered which should be nice.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Looks good, and the longer toptube would work for me. I wonder if the new tubeset is heavier or lighter? Fork appears more tapered which should be nice.

Top tube is actually a touch heavier as I wanted to oversize it to get more lateral stiffness to make it handle better. Adds about an once. A lot less ironwork in the dropout area though more than makes up for that, along with the lighter seat stays.

Jamie

I was looking at the complete bikes earlier and failing to justify owning one to myself.

Likewise. Just sold my Giant Defy as want to get a something more allroundy, and this looks like it fits the bill.

Unfortunately, it’s a bit over my budget, as was looking at second hand market. Shame there are no 10% off codes valid. As otherwise, I would be marking the days of the calendar till the 12th August having made a pre-order*

*Assuming I am right in a 5’7″ shortarse needing a small frame.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Could this run 26″ wheels or would it look very silly ?

Premier Icon Jase_MK
    Subscriber

Oooh, nice. I thought the swappable dropouts was a nice touch before, as well as the disc mounts on the chainstays. Still like this a lot though. Hmmm, what can I sell to raise funds…

soma_rich

Could this run 26″ wheels or would it look very silly ?

Why would you want 26″ wheels on it?

Mowgli

Seems they’ve gone back to normal dropouts rather than the swap-outs, and the tubes looks a little narrower like on the original. Looks a bit better to me! I wonder if the rice will drop a bit though?

Link

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

You already have a spare set of 26″ wheels?

Bazz

The new geometry appears to be better, longer top tubes, although i prefer the older more retro paint scheme, biggest shame for me is disc only, decent disc ready 700c wheels are still hard to come by at a good price.

theflatboy

But, Bazz, definitely worth the outlay. Not that expensive, and so much better than the dark ages. 🙂

Bazz

Yeah, but i like my swap dropout Kaff just fine, and i have three sets of wheels for it all ready.

IanW

Can I one with normal brakes please.

grum

Ha, had an older ‘tea and coffee one’, then I bought one of the last lot even though I didn’t like the colours as much, as I wanted to get discs.

I then spent so long faffing around delaying building the wheels for it I’ve never ridden it and they’ve now brought out new ones with the original colours I liked. 😳 👿

STATO

Top tube is actually a touch heavier as I wanted to oversize it to get more lateral stiffness to make it handle better. Adds about an once. A lot less ironwork in the dropout area though more than makes up for that, along with the lighter seat stays.

Interestingly the px website (admitedly, never accurate) states the swapout model as 2148g and the new one 2200g. I wonder which one is a blatant lie 😆

Seriously tho, it looks ace, ive not been so impressed by an on-one/px since my early model Pompy. If my new commute route is as bad/rough as i expect it to be i think one of these wil be gracing my garage.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

If only they’d been around when our C2W was on – love my Arkrose, but I’d really had a hankering for a Kaffenback

telent

Mrs Telent says I can have one if it can fit a rear child seat and an axle-attached trailer (not both at once). Anyone know/prepared to speculate?

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Mrs Telent says I can have one if it can fit a rear child seat and an axle-attached trailer (not both at once). Anyone know/prepared to speculate?

I can’t imagine why it would be an issue to do either of those.

slimjim78

any chance of a hub gear only version ‘Kaffetamine’ style?

Looks more compact and ready to hit rough trails than my Pomp, whats the max tyre width on these Kaffs?

STATO

Looks more compact and ready to hit rough trails than my Pomp, whats the max tyre width on these Kaffs?

Says 32, similar to the pomp really. Not sure what you mean by ‘compact’, its a little longer but rest of dimensions are similar. Interestingly the Kaff has similar geo to teh Surly Crosscheck, BB height, angles etc. Chainstay is a little shorter so mud clearance might be an issue combined with narrow stays.

jp-t853

ransos – Member

You already have a spare set of 26″ wheels?

I did this and use it as a tourer/commuter.

The main issue is the lower BB height with 26″ wheels which decreases pedal clearance, this is noticeable when cornering. I use mudguards so the upside is that toe overlap is not an issue.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Brant – why did you go back to disc mounts on the seat stay rather than chain stay? I’ve got an airbourne with discs on the seat stay and its a pain in the arse to mount guards or a rack.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Brant – why did you go back to disc mounts on the seat stay rather than chain stay? I’ve got an airbourne with discs on the seat stay and its a pain in the arse to mount guards or a rack.

Chainstay mounted discs are great, but on chainstays below mountainbike length, and with road cranks, BB7’s can catch your heels easily. Also getting a caliper in there, in steel, lightweight isn’t too simple.

I hope to address this in the future, but for now, with the number of discable racks out there, and the relatively low amount of people actually running a rack, I think it’s a compromise I’m willing to make.

jp-t853

Disc adapted racks are a compromise in integrity and strength, I would say a compromise you would not expect to make when buying a bike of this type.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Disc adapted racks are a compromise in integrity and strength

Are they? I’ve not seen any evidence?

STATO

It’s already only got a single eyelet so your already compromised if your expecting this to do ‘heavy’ duty. Add in the short chain stays, so heel strike with big panniers is a likelihood, mean this isn’t a bike for your next world tour. For commuting and winter miles, it looks bob on tho.

STATO

Oh, pics on the PX FB page of the chain stays, look a bit snug for use as a CX bike on really muddy courses.

jp-t853

wwaswas – Member

Disc adapted racks are a compromise in integrity and strength

Are they? I’ve not seen any evidence?

They usually have a very long bolt on the disc side carrying a lot of load. I would say yes

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Have you seen any fail here?

Add in the short chain stays, so heel strike with big panniers is a likelihood

This +1, my tourers got long stays, and even then my 25l panniers have to be mounted right on the ends of their adjustment to clear my heals.

jp-t853

scotroutes – Member

Have you seen any fail here?

Yes I had a Tortec break at this point attached to my Cove Handjob when it was set up for commuting. That used P-Clips but it was the bolt that failed

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

that’s ‘cos the p-clips allowed too much flex at the mounting point 😉

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

STATO – Member
    Oh, pics on the PX FB page of the chain stays, look a bit snug for use as a CX bike on really muddy courses.
    POSTED 48 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s not a cyclocross bike.

Jamie

Can it be used for bridleways/fireroads and skids?

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

can I run it with a 120mm travel fork?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Does it have pockets – and a zip?

STATO

Didn’t say it was, someone asked if it would take big tyres and I pointed them in direction of info, supplemented by opinion and comparison. Plenty of folk want to run big tyres on a road/light-tour bike or use them off road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New Kaffenback’ is closed to new replies.