Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New job dilemma
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hoping the STW massive will be able to offer some advice on a dilemma I have.

I’ve been looking for a new job for the last 6 months and today got an offer for a job which is a great challenge and opportunity to develop over time but a higher profile position with more pressure.

The dilemma is that they have offered me exactly the same money as I am on currently, in fact due to the way it is structured I am actually more likely to earn slightly less over the course of a year.

The added part is I’m in a great job already and don’t really need to move but I am really liking the opportunity to work for this company.

The question is really – do I push for more money or other perks or just decline the role as it is not worth me moving especially as I have 10 years of service / redundancy and am well respected in the position I am in??

Anyone got any suggestions on wording the response if I ask for more money?

Not been in this position before – Been circling round my head all day…

Help me Obi Wan Singletrack – you’re my only hope!!!

somouk
    Free Member

I would be inclined to pick up the phone and speak to them more than reply with a letter/email. No harm in letting them know the situation and ask for more money or a better package. They clearly think you are worth getting into the job.

I took a pay cut not long back to change job because the new one was more in the direction I wanted and it was well worth it.

br
    Free Member

And what pension has it, better or worse?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Everything else is the same – Pension is slightly better perhaps.

Had a long chat to them this morning and they said they could perhaps boost the salary by about £1,000. Hardly worth me moving for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what somo said
    Ask them for more as – unless it serves a long term goal- why change jobs , which is a risk, for less money and more work. t=They should understand your dilemma is a reasonable one

You may wish to tell your current employer and see what they will offer as well to keep you …might backfire though if neither budge…do you feel lucky ?

TiRed

You applied for a reason, and by your own admission, it wasn’t for more money. Your current job may pay more but will still have all the same setbacks you were looking to move from.

And they’ve offered an increase already. Clearly that’s a statement of intent on their behalf. I’d take it and negotiate again when you’ve exceeded their expectations, personally.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I think I’m going to be open and honest with them, drop them a line and say that I really want the position but at this salary level I can’t afford to take it.

bearnecessities

I think I’m going to be open and honest with them, drop them a line and say that I really want the position but at this salary level I can’t afford to take it.

Not clear from your OP, but if you applied for the job, that response will grind their gears. If you were headhunted, it’s fair enough. (and in either scenario, I would phrase it more like you want to work for them, rather than want the job)

RichPenny
    Free Member

When you say you can’t afford to take it, I assume you mean that the financial security of a decade served isn’t worth the risk? Because the salaries are similar, yes?

I’ve done something similar but internally only recently. No more paid OT (well, not as much) in my new position, so the potential to earn less this year for me. I’m happy with that, the challenge and prospects of the job more than make up for it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers – yeah, I will probably word it a bit better 🙂

Originally I spoke to them about working in a different capacity but they wanted me to do this role instead.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

There is a bit of a longer story to it…

To cut that long story short I basically I went for a job internally which resulted in a long chat with my company and explained I needed to earn more and they gave me more responsibility in exchange for more pay, but they haven’t followed through with the more pay bit yet hence why I’m looking for a new job as my pay review has dragged on for 6 months and even my boss admits it is taking the mickey.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mine worked the opposite way; I took more responsibility and then a role was developed along those lines which I applied for.

I guess you’re seeing the effects of the economy on the job market – your skills will probably be worth less on the open market due to competition.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Negotiate! Tell them that the offer is interesting and has prospects but represents a pay cut for you. If they’re really interested, they will up their offer.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s a realistic chance of a counter offer. What would you do in that case?

Kryton57

OP, I recently did the same as your albeit within the same company. I made sure during the negotiations I considered this, my first year, to be a learning curve where I’d be mentored hences happy that my lesser contribution to an established team = no change in salary.

I as made it clear that should I be successful / add success to the new team I’d be able to re-negotiate that in year 2.

Its been said before and I agree, you can expect a fair wage but you can’t expect to be paid beyond that where you are forcing your new boss to assume you are worth the risk, until you have demonstrated his risk is justified.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ll give them a call in the morning. Probably best to sleep on it.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Bushwacked – Member

I’ll give them a call in the morning. Probably best to sleep on it.

Let them know you would like the job but only at the salary that you need for the extra responsibilities and pressure.

If they say no, thank them for their time and ask them to contact you if they don’t find anyone more suitable and you’ll be happy to talk to them in a couple of weeks time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New job dilemma’ is closed to new replies.