New jacket recommendations

Home Forum Chat Forum New jacket recommendations

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New jacket recommendations
  • Premier Icon cu dubh
    Subscriber

My current “good” waterproof jacket, which is a North Face, is about to be relegated to a dog walking jacket as the zip has gone on that one. The good one also has a nice oil mark on it from a bike chain so I am looking for something new rather than just replacing the zip in the old smelly one. I want something that I can be seen in in reasonably polite company which is waterproof and moderately breathable. I am not planning trips to exotically cold places or serious climbing or anything of that nature. I am not really sure about budget but less spent is certainly better than more although I appreciate that to an extent you get what you pay for.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Patagonia Torrentshell.

solamanda

Craghopper usually have a sale on at this time of year and have a good balance of quality/price when discounted if you’re not a brand whore.

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

I have a Mountain equipment cascade – can’t fault it but then given the price I should hope so.

Premier Icon cu dubh
    Subscriber

Bill Oddie, I should have said I would like something with a bit of warmth too, but that Torrentshell does look quite nice.

Will have a look at Craghopper, solamanda.

Mr Woppit, Gore certainly have a good rep, I think.

Premier Icon cu dubh
    Subscriber

The cascade looks good, but maybe a bit expensive for my current circumstances.

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Love my Etobicoke, although not had it long enough to comment on durability…

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

Try tk maxx plenty of gore based options in from berghaus north face marmot and craghoppers.

Or decathlon mountaineering range had some good options in the past.

Sprayway are functionally fine, used them through work.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Bill Oddie, I should have said I would like something with a bit of warmth too, but that Torrentshell does look quite nice.

Patagonia Insulated Torrentshell

All joking aside, I have few bits of Patagonia kit and it’s really nice quality kit.

Premier Icon cu dubh
    Subscriber

vondally, there is a tkmaxx in Stirling which often has some decent stuff in it. Might drop in there if I have time tomorrow.

Premier Icon cu dubh
    Subscriber

Too many choices for an indecisive person.

The insulated torrentshell looks good but is at the top end of what I would want to pay so will hunt around for something a bit cheaper, which might not be as good but that’s the way it goes.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Decathlon do some excellent stuff (and a lot not so good) – varies a lot.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Sportpursuit, where unsold waterproof jackets go to be sold off at half price. Given your requirements (‘I want something that I can be seen in in reasonably polite company which is waterproof and moderately breathable.’) some sort of Gore-Tex (other than the truly awful Paclite) that matches up to your aesthetic needs should do it.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

Seeing as you have wide but basic requirements, I’d just browse the online sales and pick up something you like the look of

People will just recommend what they own

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I find that fit is the biggest issue with outdoor gear and that has probably the biggest effect on my final choice.

I want something that I can be seen in in reasonably polite company which is waterproof and moderately breathable.

Do any of these recommendations actually fulfill this criteria? There seems to be a shortage of technical jackets that aren’t black with fluoro zips/ghastly colour combos/ over logoed up.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Definitely try Sportpursuit – full of half price shells nobody wants

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

That Patagonia torrent SO has one maybe 6 years old worn for skiing, hockey, walking and general out and about looks like new and is brilliant…always wanted a men’s one ….recommended.

CountZero

Jottnar Garm softshell?
    Perhaps on the high end of your budget, but a good-looking jacket with good technical features.
    http://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens/softshell-jackets/garm/

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I just picked up a Mountain Equipment Valkyrie Goretex Proshell (the new one) from RoughGear for under £80 – down from £200+. If you don’t want uber robust, they had same jacket in different material and model name. Much better cut and material than anything I could see on sportpursuit.

Patagonia is superb, and lasts and lasts, but I found thier H2No standard not that breathable….we also just had a crap service from the new warranty arrangements – basically I was expected to post at my cost to Spain for repair, with a service fee of £20 to post it back…for one single pocket zip that has failed. They need to address that issue…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New jacket recommendations’ is closed to new replies.