New iPhone release

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • New iPhone release
  • mogrim

Surely the first thing you do when you get a new phone is get a case for it? All the top end phones I’ve handled are (relatively) heavy and slippery.

regenesis

Lightly greased otter?
    Surely a heavily greased one would be slippier?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It doesn’t weigh much, so a heavier grease would be stickier. With a light grade of grease, you pick it up, it squirts out your hand, pick it up again, slips again, it’s a viscous circle.

dirtyrider

Surely the first thing you do when you get a new phone is get a case for it?

their not really designed to have a case on though, they just spawned a case industry

hate having a case on mine, half a rubber half shell thing on my X purely because i smashed the back recently and I’m not upgrading/replacing so late into the cycle

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

their not really designed to have a case on though

I would argue the opposite. The protruding camera on the rear of all the recent handsets suggests the designers are assuming everyone is going to use a case of some kind.

regenesis

Ahhh – I said heavily greased – not heavy greased……

But not a fan of the form factor, the edge to edge screen is a PITA and ultimately a gimmick

I don’t see this at all. I mean, I understand you’re entitled to your opinion but I think the form factor and gesture control on the X is beautiful. I just love using my iPhoneX – it’s one of the best things I’ve bought in recent years. My wife recently bought an iPhone 8 and it just feels like a last-gen device by comparison.

I’ve not got a problem with the way it works, it’s brill, but the edge to edge screen, at least with my fat fingers, just means every time I pick it up or hold with and operate it with one hand stuff happens you didn’t intend because parts of your fingers wrap around the edge and activate the screen. Needs a boarder or a different shaped edge to keep fat fingers at bay.

There is an element of form over function going on with phones these days.

CountZero

I think I might be upgrading this time around, my 6+ won’t allow any further OS upgrades, which is fair enough, it’s five years old now; having said that it runs ok, but the battery is now showing 75% maximum capacity, which is starting to show up as reduced run time.
    Condition-wise, it’s in pretty good nick, it’s had a glass screen protector from new, which has a couple of cracks across it from drops, and a cheap clear silicon case that replaced the Otterbox I had it in to start with, and which was just too bulky, and not even close to waterproof!
    I looked into getting an X last year, but passed, the new 11 Max looks like a good upgrade, 512Gb of storage, and the triple camera system looks like it’ll take better photos than my 6+, and having paid off my mortgage by the time it comes out I’ll be able to afford it, albeit by paying monthly.
    It will have a case, probably a Pelican case with a glass screen protector, just for the added security in the event of a drop.

johndoh

it’s a viscous circle

So close to a perfect joke but so far away.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I can get ostensibly the same thing with a slightly inferior camera and a charger I actually have to plug in for £200.

Ah, but the charging port is a key point of failure as it inevitably gets pulled on or drops onto it. Wireless charging gets round that.

their not really designed to have a case on though

Tell that to Samsung. They make several really lovely and feature-packed cases for their phones and charge a bomb for them. Then they get discounted six months later on Amazon. I bought a flip case (with an awesome LED display on the front!) because I want to keep my phone as long as possible.

phil5556

Will apple ever offer an iphone with a battery twice as big? That would be a winner for me.

Yeah this is my only disappointment. I’m a recent convert and bought a 6S back in April. It’s pretty much perfect for me apart from the battery life, it lasts ages until you actually use it with the screen on.

baboonz

I’ve had my 6 since release its now starting to show its age. The trick with iPhones is getting a replacement through applecare right before it finishes. I am now thinking of getting whatever comes in 2019, however I have the feeling the 2020 model will be something special.

surfer

The protruding camera on the rear of all the recent handsets suggests the designers are assuming everyone is going to use a case of some kind.

Agree. I have the P3 and without a case the lens(s) of the camera would be resting on the surface you place it on. Have 3 iPhones in the house. The failure rate is very high and all of them have problems around the 18 month mark (as did the previous ones) My S7 (ex work phone) lasted more than twice the time of any of the dozen or so iPhones that my family have had without needing to carry a battery pack around!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

My work 6s battery failed and they replaced it with an 8.  The 8 is like a super fast 6 with great battery life yet it keeps the smaller pocket friendly form factor. I’m not tempted into an expensive iPhone personally yet Mrs K 6’s is tatty and starting to fail its second battery, so we may look at a Black Friday deal on an old model XR.

Paying near £1000 for a phone is abhorrent to me, and if my S8 which has been good internally if not fragile externally fails I won’t be looking further than a £250 Android replacement.  I am however not a heavy user.

I have an Xs Max. The face ID is brilliant, Battery has never been less than 40% at the end of a days heavy use.

surfer

Battery has never been less than 40% at the end of a days heavy use.

Wait until its around 18 months old 🙂

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I expected this to be at the top this morning!

So, iPhone 11 replaces the XR, then you have two pro models.  A compass, always on and Ti bracelets on the watch 5, a new base level iPad and a more laptop like iPad iOS.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Meh… my X is still going well, I’ll wait till they do a 5G one.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Meh

said everyone trying to look cool, about every Apple release, ever 😂

New Pro phone looks great… triple camera system & significantly better battery. Definitely want a new Watch, always on display solves a minor problem with the current one (screen going off if you try to show someone else the display!). Not sure I can justify the bling Ti version though!

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

No real surprises for me, pretty much exactly as expected. The new camera looks awesome though, and there’s a few new feature that look good.

I think I’m going to get a pro, if it lasts me 5 or 6 years like my 6 then I’ll be happy enough.

P-Jay

Anyone know if the 11 is smaller than the XR? The XR is massive.

MTB-Idle

Top tip; don’t bother buying the iPhone 11. Impress your friends and save money by simply typing ‘sent from my iPhone 11’ at the end of all your emails.
    Sent from my iPhone 11

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Having just read the Apple blurb on their website… it looks like a good phone to upgrade to in a couple of years.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

said everyone trying to look cool, about every Apple release, ever 😂

Oh I’m a fully paid up apple fanboi, it’s just there doesn’t seem to be any big (Relatively speaking) steps forward with this release, compared to previous ones.

MTB-Idle

not even 5G ready then?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

No not this time I’d guess they don’t think it’s necessary yet.

Premier Icon mmannerr
    Subscriber

XR is slightly overweight at 194gr, after 7 it feels too heavy and large so 11 is the same.
    Fortunately mine is a company phone and I only have 19 months before lease expires.

sharkbait

No not this time I’d guess they don’t think it’s necessary yet.

No, they couldn’t get the 5g modem to work properly in time for the release.

(but it’s probably not necessary anyway!)

ianpv

I took my old SE for a new battery at the apple store last week, and they broke it. So they gave me a brand new one! So that’s me sorted for the next 2-3 years, it fits in my pocket and does everything I need….

footflaps

Some nice stuff announced, but nothing to really tempt me away from my 6s.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Surely the first thing you do when you get a new phone is get a case for it? All the top end phones I’ve handled are (relatively) heavy and slippery.

When the iphone X first came out I was working on an advert shoot for a luxury car that had features that integrated with a phone app. So we had a brand new X as a prop. I was in charge of the props generally and this brand new, one-of-the-few in the country phone in particular, that the days shooting was dependent on.. Looking after it was pretty much my only job for the next couple of hours – make sure its available when needed, hide in the back of the car while shooting and wipe the finger prints off between shots.

It was handed to me, carefully.   I immediately dropped it.

Hob Nob

Have an XS for work which has been nice, we are due upgrades next month & looks like they will give us the Pro. No idea why, these are fine.

I moved from an iphone6 to an S9 18 months ago on mt own phone, Which felt like a big upgrade, the XS is nice though, I like the Apple OS, as im not a tech nerd, im probably your typical user. Having one of each is a bit of a challenge sometimes. If I can keep my old XS i might put my sim in it, feel like i prefer it to the Galaxy (which was a significant improvement on my old work phone which was a Galaxy 7).

Meh, its all cyclical. Their 0% schemes probably make the most sense now with a sim only contract.

P-Jay

XR is slightly overweight at 194gr, after 7 it feels too heavy and large so 11 is the same.
    Fortunately mine is a company phone and I only have 19 months before lease expires.

Weight’s not such an issue for me, what with being double hard and triple tough and all that, but the one thing that irked me slightly when my Wife bought Her’s was the way they scale all the photos of them to look the same size. She, like a lot of people I think assumed the XR was the same chassis as an X, only with more modest screen / CPU or whatever, but they’re absolutely massive.

I bought the bullet early last year and went for an iPhone 8. It’s actually not too bad but took a little while to get used to it after the 950 I had before it. A little later we got an iPhone 7 for my wife to replace her SE. She has not been a happy bunny with it. Loved her SE but this one has been a bit rubbish really. Networking and switching between the mobile network and wifi is pretty tardy and she regularly gets to the point of wanting to throw it out the window. Will try a factory reset on it but not convinced it fix all of its ailments. The Apple diagnostics have supposedly proved that the hardware is ok but the experience is still sub standard. The new 11 does look quite nice but is still (even for the standard 11) a bit eye watering. And quite big for small hands. Wifey loved the form factor of the SE and has got used to the 7 but I think the 11 is a bit bigger still

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Possibly a Garmin is better if you want one of the specific sporty features, otherwise I just can’t see it. Also I’m assuming the software is crap like with all Garmins

Slightly OT – For me the Garmins can keep the buggy software as long as they have a battery with a useable charge cycle I’ll stick with them. For me there is zero appeal in a watch that needs removing to charge every day.

CountZero

Have 3 iPhones in the house. The failure rate is very high and all of them have problems around the 18 month mark (as did the previous ones)

Never had a problem with my 3G, the subsequent 4G had a shonky home button, but it’s upstairs and still working, the 5G that replaced that would probably still be working if I hadn’t lost it along with a bag full of other stuff, and my five year old 6+ is only now starting to show some issues, it has developed a habit of freezing, but it may be a recent OS update, it may just need a factory reset.
    Whatever, I’ll be updating to an 11 Pro, specifically because of the camera setup; I take lots of photos, having what is effectively 4x optical zoom, with all of the other tech that’s going on in the background will make a big difference.
    Having 512Gb Of storage as well means I’ll finally be able to carry my entire music library with me – I don’t do streaming.

not even 5G ready then?

You’re shitting me, right? Exactly what benefit will 5G bring to the average mobile phone user? Large areas of the U.K. struggle to get a half decent 4G signal, even 3G is a luxury in many rural areas!
    5G will only benefit those living in major urban areas, due to its short wavelength, it won’t penetrate walls very well for starters.
    I reckon it’ll take at least a decade before 5G has any significant impact on phone users, it certainly won’t bring one iota of benefit to me or anyone where I live.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Have 3 iPhones in the house. The failure rate is very high and all of them have problems around the 18 month mark (as did the previous ones)

Currently 6 in this house 2 retired as I upgraded them 4 in daily use, no issues them or with the numerous from 3G leading up them. Although one I took back for the battery replacement program even though it was fine but that was free.

CountZero

Why you shouldn’t even think about 5G for the foreseeable future…
    https://www.imore.com/why-so-many-pundits-are-wrong-about-iphone-11-and-5g

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

So they don’t think it’s worth bothering with just yet, I’m surprised no one has mentioned that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.