Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New IPCC report
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Is there a thread on this? Lower than it would be in the news because of current events, but grim reading.

Various summaries/explainer threads on Twitter.

This seems to sum it up

I can’t help thinking we are already too late though

ahsat

It’s not too late for everything – some things we are already committed to, like long term sea level rise. But the amount and rate of some of these changes can be reduced with rapid action. Unfortunately some stuff has gone too far, and already fallen over an irreversible tipping point. But that shouldn’t be a reason to give up.

ahsat

For anyone who is unsure as too why there is another IPCC report released today (it is a bit confusing!) this is a useful thread

ahwiles
    Free Member

we’re on course for 2 degrees : which will be very bad.

we can still avoid 3 degrees : which will mean catastrophe on a global scale

we can still avoid 4 degrees : which would mean total apocalypse.

There’s a lot still to play for, more or less everything in fact…

chrismac

I wonder what the carbon footprint of the ipcc is to produce these reports? I’m not sure of their value because they tell those who are interested what we already know and those not interested won’t take any notice anyway

ferrals
    Free Member

I wasn’t saying that it wasn’t worth trying by the way, more that i don’t think we’ll get the general public on side in time for the wholesale changes that are needed.
    There’s a lot that can be done to adapt to and mitigate for the changes that are already baked in – but as the report says, this is much less easy to do for poorer regions

ferrals
    Free Member

Good article from nyt

maccruiskeen

Not too late to get a boxer short subscription though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New IPCC report’ is closed to new replies.