Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New in Zurich, any STWers in the parish?
  • ben
    Free Member

Morning all.

I’ve recently moved to Zurich, loving it so far apart from the cut throat apartment letting market 🙂

Just wondered if anyone STWers are based here and fancy meeting up. I’ll also be keen to do dome riding once my bike is shipped here and I’ve got back to the UK to pick up all my winter gear…

growinglad
    Free Member

Word up Ben…yurp, I’m based in Zurich. Email in profile.

Another good place to find out about rides is Swiss Alpine Adventures on meet up.

Where about’s are you based/looking? Good luck with the flat hunt….pretty tricky.

philholmes
    Free Member

Not Zurich, but Frauenfeld, 30 minutes away. Only through the week though, weekends are in Davos.

I ride mostly with Swiss Alpine Adventure (or friends I have made there), there is normally a Zurich area night ride organised each week.

All of the rides are ‘joined’ using meetup (http://www.meetup.com/SwissAlpineAdventure/)

There are some great single track rides in the area, I think my email is in my profile.

Phil

alaric

Growinglad was in the Zurich area last time I spoke to him, might be worth dropping him a line, I think his email is in his profile.

Otherwise I’ll be visiting next summer and looking for someone to show me around 🙂

alaric

Damn this slow internet connection! When I started there were no replies!

Work internet was showing 0.58Mbps on Tuesday!

ben
    Free Member

Hey Growing lad, thanks for the tip on Swiss Alpine Adventures – have joined on meetup. Will look to get out on a ride once my bikes have arrived.

I’m looking at anywhere within Zurich to be honest. Seen a few places and so far quite like the feel of Wipkingen, though yet to really explore the place.

I’m currently staying with a friend in Seefeld, like the proximity to the lake and Stadelhofen (I work in Nanikon), though rents a little eye watering.

I’ll drop you a mail with my contact details.

growinglad
    Free Member

Wipkingen, yep, good place to be, Zurich is pretty small with good transport so easy to get around.

I’m out on the West side over the other side of Albis pass. We’ve got 3 kids so finding a place big enough and with okay rent meant moving out a bit….but the kids love the country around us so it’s okay….apart from the smell of cow sh&$te.

Yep, the first 6 months to a year you keep having to take a second look at prices….3 years on and I still can’t get over the price of eating out…

big_scot_nanny

If you fancy coming over to Basel, pop me a note. Basel Badgers is the group over this side, although Dave and SAA have been awesome for alps info and trips for us in the past.

Willkommen in der Schweiz!

Remember, after 10pm pee sitting down and don’t flush the bog. 🙂

rickmeister

Between Big Scott Nanny and Zurich, Im in Black Forest near to Bad Sackingen…

Basel Badgers look pretty active (though I’ve never been on a ride with them).

wildheart
    Free Member

Lived there a while back and used to head up the local hill by the name of Uetliberg.Looks like they have some man made trails now..

http://www.uetliberg.ch/en/

big_scot_nanny

Its a bit like SAA in that there are a few riders who frequently lead rides, so a great way to find and get to know trails, but also meet other folk who may be closer by and more informal riding buddies.

Black Forest eh? Except for trips to terrifying Todtnau, I have not ridden up there as was told riding on anything singletrack was banned?

growinglad
    Free Member

Yep, Uetliberg trail is pretty good, although I think some of it might be closed off at the moment due to logging. From there all the way through to Sihlwald along the Arete there are a few cool little single tracks.

Also up Dolder way up by the Zoo is also some good riding and a pump track.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Subscribed. I want to move to Switzerland next year or so so this thread might become very useful 🙂

andyt1054
    Free Member

I’m moving to Konstanz in Feb 2016 – some great biking both road and mtb if you fancy a 40 minute trip over the border

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New in Zurich, any STWers in the parish?’ is closed to new replies.