Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • New improved Magicshine?
  • stayhigh

I’ve just seen THIS.

New look, new mount, new battery but is it any good? I was going to buy one of THESE on payday but could go for this one instead?

z1ppy

oooooOOOOooooohhh version 5… looks good, but they’ll need to redsign a new helmet mount too.

AlexSimon

I nearly didn’t look at this thread because I assumed it was yet another showing the new battery.
    This looks interesting though. No improvements on spec (apart from the mount, but I’m happy with the current 0-ring mount). So either they’ve improved things internally or it’s just more expensive.

The reflector looks more sophisticated, but the beam shots don’t look too different from the old model. Hard to tell I guess.

2 modes is probably better – the flash is completely useless anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stayhigh

In the discussion part at the bottom of the page there is mention of the reflector being honeycombed in design which may improve the spread of the beam?

z1ppy

To be honest it looks to me (layman) that they’ve made the design of the lamp easier/cheaper to produce – as you say AS, the LED spec looks exactly the same. Initially they may have been copying the Lupine Tesla design, but now they have a market presence, there no need for that.
    Not sure about the mounting though personnally, but then the elastic band was never the greatest of designs, even if Lupine use it on there units.

trout
    Free Member

more cooling tick
    battery looks better sealed. tick

mount over the stem. Bastids

same old P7

probably wider beam spread with the dimpled reflector

looks OK. Bastids
    lot better than Mickey mouse light

will probably sell millions.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm. I ordered the version with the new battery yesterday.

If there was a major difference I would consider changing the order. £11 more for a new light enclosure and mount seems to be the extent of the changes tho.

z1ppy

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Gah….feel….like….changing…..order……

spokebloke
    Free Member

Oh crap, it’s the same as ours.
    Wasn’t expecting that… bloody Chinese….

Jamie
    Free Member

spokebloke:
    Oh crap, it’s the same as ours.
    Wasn’t expecting that… bloody Chinese….

Gutted 😥

Have they just ripped the whole design off or sourcing from the same supplier?

Shame really, as if your light was £80 I would get it from you instead. It’s not fair you cannot compete on prices with the chinese.

trout
    Free Member

Spokebloke I thought I had seen it somewhere before
    Just couldn’t put my finger where
    Bastids

lipseal
    Free Member

Wondering if the new bar mount will fit on the old light?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Shame really, as if your light was £80 I would get it from you instead. It’s not fair you cannot compete on prices with the chinese.

Ours does come with the helmet mount, so all square really.

AlexSimon

hmmm – the prices are close enough that just maybe, you might be able to tempt people to buy from you instead Spokebloke.
    Warranty and stock of parts might be enough.

I guess everyone will now learn the lesson that if you get magicshine to make a light for you, it’ll be available from DX soon after, for less. Shame.

spokebloke
    Free Member

if you get magicshine to make a light for you

That’s just it – we didn’t!

stayhigh

New Magicshine works out at £63 plus £9 for your helmet mount.

£72 all in.

AlexSimon

@spokebloke – blimey. Either Magicshine and the factory you got them made at are one-and-the-same, or, well I can’t think of another scenario.

spokebloke
    Free Member

They were made through a third party who must have sold the tooling to Magicshine – gawd knows.

tron
    Free Member

Take a look at the RBV and the VRIO framework.

stayhigh

Take a look at the RBV and the VRIO framework.

Eh ❓

billyboulders
    Free Member

So, £72 from DX, who won’t be paying any UK duty, in fact theres a chance you may have to pay it yourself if you order from them. Back-up/warranty will presumably be not as good (certainly more complicated). Delivery may take a while and DX are not riders trying to earn a living (as I assume spokebloke is ‘cos he’s on here).

All in all it proves to me what a good deal Spokebloke is offering. They look like good lights. I’m tempted to order one…..off spokebloke 😉

tron
    Free Member

Eh

It’s a theory which when condensed down to the level of an OXO cube says “You can’t make decent money doing something if there’s nothing stopping anyone else from having a go”.

uplink
    Free Member

who won’t be paying any UK duty, in fact theres a chance you may have to pay it yourself if you order from them

err…….. no you won’t – it’s below the threshold

Spokebloke does run a good business though & is even faster than CRC used to be 🙂
    At those prices, I’d probably buy off him Vs DX but the DX battery looks a lot better sealed, so I dunno – flip a coin

🙂

patentlywill
    Free Member

if you own the design rights in all or part you may be able to prevent others setting up a business importing in bulk but practically speaking you can’t do much about punters buying direct from outside UK

Jamie
    Free Member

Order cancelled for the old style from DX. Weird how I have to wait till 03/10/2010 for the refund tho. Anyways, going to see what the word is on these ones and probably punt an order during the week.

DickBarton

Jamie, for the extra £20 I’d order it from spokebloke – UK order/supplier and warranty…arrive at yours much quicker as well…

Jamie
    Free Member

DickBarton – Member
    Jamie, for the extra £20 I’d order it from spokebloke – UK order/supplier and warranty…arrive at yours much quicker as well…

As would I, and said as much above.

It is an extra £38 tho, true the helmet mount is included, but I do not need one 8)

billyboulders
    Free Member

err…….. no you won’t – it’s below the threshold

err……You are technically liable to pay VAT (plus a handling fee, £15 IIRC) on any imported goods (from outside the EU) with a value over £18.

DaveL
    Free Member

Has anybody on here actually paid import duty on items bought from DX?, as I haven’t and don’t know anybody that has.

Dave

uplink
    Free Member

err……You are technically liable to pay VAT (plus a handling fee, £15 IIRC) on any imported goods (from outside the EU) with a value over £18.

I was responding to your claim that duty was due when in fact that statement is wrong & no duty is due, as the light is below the £135 threshold

as for VAT – I’m yet to here of anyone that’s had to pay VAT on something that fails to go over the duty threshold

I’m sure you do though 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

below the £135 threshold

Linky?

Edit: Found it.

“Customs duty – Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.”

billyboulders
    Free Member

Yep – sorry uplink, I wasn’t clear enough in the original post duty/VAT mix up!

And no I haven’t ever had to pay on anything from DX, or heard of anyone who has. Although it might get more likely as more and more parcels marked “Bike light-Gift” go through the system. I was just trying to show some support for spokes and pointing out that there is a chance you could get clobbered, not looking for an arguement 🙄 or indeed 😉

deep_river
    Free Member

Are these lights of Magicshines and spokeblokes really as good as it looks? I was about to fork out a few hundred quid untill today when I saw these.

Are they going to last 2 or 3 years? and what is the warrenty like? How do they compare to exposures etc.

Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

Now we play the waiting game….

FuzzyWuzzy

Is the green back-light power switch annoying on those? I’d imagine it could be quite bright and distracting when out riding in the dark?

AlexSimon

FuzzyWuzzy – Not even noticeable on the normal Magicshine.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Is the green back-light power switch annoying on those? I’d imagine it could be quite bright and distracting when out riding in the dark?

I’ve got one customer who said that, but the solution is to put a bit of black insulation tape over it…..

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there’s a helmet mount available from DealExtreme themselves?

z1ppy
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New improved Magicshine?’ is closed to new replies.