Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New HT Christened today
  • mboy
    Free Member

Still not 100% healthy, but got round to finishing the new HT yesterday, and got out on it today. Well, not finished as I want it to be (new wheels still not arrived so had to make do for now), but good enough to get out and ride it…

For anyone interested, it’s a Whyte 629 frame with a custom build of parts I had lying about and/or robbed off the last bike. Why the 629? Well the geometry looked pretty much spot on for what I wanted (like a Stanton Sherpa but with a lower BB height), it’s light enough (being ally) at under 2kg for the frame, and its a good UK friendly design with good tyre clearance etc. Bit of a PITA having to purchase the whole bike, strip and sell all the parts I didn’t want, but hey ho!

First ride was down the FoD, lots of off the beaten track Singletrack over Dowies & Shutcastle etc. before heading back via Y2K. Initial impressions are that I like it a lot. Just got to fit the new wheels when they arrive, possibly put a low rise bar on (steerer was already a touch short on my old X-Fusion forks so no height adjustment there sadly) and tweak really, but felt pretty good straight away.

Clink

You reckon it’s ok with the 120mm forks?

Clink

Oh and why didn’t you go for the cheaper 529 – same frame isn’t it?

mboy
    Free Member

You reckon it’s ok with the 120mm forks?

The X-Fusion Slide at 120mm is only 10mm longer A2C than a 100mm Reba, so it’s the same height as a Fox 32. I was worried it might feel a touch tall but actually I’m tempted to fit a 1/2″ rise bar (sadly the steerer is already too short to experiment with spacers) to bring it up just a touch. And I like quite a low front end.

As for geometry, static HA is 66.8 right now, ETT is 625mm, BB height is just over 305mm, wheelbase is 1165mm. As far as I can tell, the geometry is almost identical to that rare beast, the 929, except that the chainstay length isn’t adjustable.

Oh and why didn’t you go for the cheaper 529 – same frame isn’t it?

Firstly, I did the sums and though yes, they are the same frame, the difference in componentry spec (that I was mostly selling on) more than made the difference in price worthwhile to me. OK, I wasn’t paying RRP as I work in the trade, if I was it might have swayed my decision. Also the 529 comes with a ZS44 1 1/8″ headset where the 629 comes with an EC44 1.5″ external lower cup for a tapered steerer fork, so saved me the price of a new headset in the bargain too.

Secondly, I much prefer the silver and green finish to the black and orange. My full sus is like Darth Vader’s chariot it’s that black, and I fancied a bit more colour this time.

thepodge
    Free Member

What was it about the kona you didn’t like? I’m still struggling to think how mine could be improved other than a bit of weight loss but you didn’t seem to rate it

mboy
    Free Member

What was it about the kona you didn’t like? I’m still struggling to think how mine could be improved other than a bit of weight loss but you didn’t seem to rate it

Just simply didn’t gel with it. Felt tall and short, numbers suggested it was quite slack, but it felt otherwise to me. It was light enough (the Honzo wouldn’t have been!) at 2kg for the frame, but not for me. Head angle is over a degree slacker on the Whyte (that’s measured, and with a 10mm shorter travel fork), and the wheelbase is 40mm longer most of which is in the front centre.

Oh and the Taro was STIFF! Don’t think I’ve ridden a stiffer ally frame to be fair.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks, maybe I need to try a Whyte

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice. Suspect I’d like that a lot. Can you just buy the frame then?

z1ppy

Nope, whyte only do full build’s unfortunately, sometimes you find 2nd hand frame only on ebay. Though it should be noted Whyte made changes to the *29 frame geometry for this year, so they’ll be while coming though.

mboy
    Free Member

Nope, whyte only do full build’s unfortunately, sometimes you find 2nd hand frame only on ebay.

Just looked on ebay, there’s a handful of full bikes in nearly new condition at good prices right now! Buy it, sell all the kit on, and you’ve got a very cheap frame to build on.

Though it should be noted Whyte made changes to the *29 frame geometry for this year, so they’ll be while coming though.

They’ve lopped an inch off the seat tube for each size for 2016, as well as adding 10mm onto the ETT and introducing an XL size for the taller guys. The 2014-15 geometry is still pretty long and slack for a 29er HT, it’s just that the 2016 frames are that bit longer again.

Anyway… My new wheels turned up today (only 3 days late, cheers ParcelFarce, never mind!) along with some 2.25″ Beaver’s. Will get them on ASAP along with a riser bar, and get some more pics and give it a whirl!

mboy
    Free Member

Just put the new Crossmax XL wheels on with a Shorty/Beaver pairing (ground is soft round this way), and swapped the flat bars out for the carbon low rise bars off my full sus. Not yet ridden in anger, but immediately the position feels a bit better and the wheels are usefully stiffer.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Looks nice, I’m looking for some 120mm forks for my 529 at the mo.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

What happened to the Sync Mboy?
    Whyte better geometry?
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Double post

mrsfry
    Free Member

Is it ok to call your bike ‘Beautiful’

rOcKeTdOg

Is it ok to call your bike ‘Beautiful’

that’s fine, calling another riders bike beautiful is a recipe for conflict #neverTouchAnotherMansRhubarb

jekkyl

very nice Op. My mate’s just had one of those. Was there room to route the dropper cable internally?

birdage

I suspect there’s a good reason but can you reply to the 3 emails I’ve sent you about delivery please? Thanks Matthew

Clink

^ ?

mboy
    Free Member

I suspect there’s a good reason but can you reply to the 3 emails I’ve sent you about delivery please?

Hi Matt, was waiting for you to tell me it was ok to send. Didn’t see your first email. Has now been sent so you should receive it, was going to reply this morning but been mental at work all day and I’ve only just stopped for 5 mins now.

mboy
    Free Member

What happened to the Sync Mboy?

Sold earlier this year to go towards paying for my Evil Following sadly. Lovely bike it was too, but couldn’t have afforded to keep both at the time.

mboy
    Free Member

very nice Op. My mate’s just had one of those. Was there room to route the dropper cable internally?

Dropped the front mech to go 1x on mine, so used the internal routing for the front mech cable for the dropper on mine. It’s not fully internal, it’s a standard Reverb rather than a stealth, but it now goes inside the top tube along its length and exits just in front of the seat tube along with the rear mech cable.

Poopscoop

Lovely bike.

I’m a sucker for Whyte’s and Marin’s. Yes,I know they are now divorced and share the kids at weekends etc. 😉

Looks ssssoooo clean with the 1x setup too.

Let me know how you get on with the shorty / beaver as I am going to try that combo on the 26″ HT I am still building up.

mboy
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on with the shorty / beaver as I am going to try that combo on the 26″ HT I am still building up.

Was going to go and try it out at the FoD tomorrow… Predicted 50mph winds from 9am onwards though looks like I’m best off staying in bed!

Looks ssssoooo clean with the 1x setup too.

The only trace that it’s not a 1x specific bike is the seat tube cable stop, but never mind. Otherwise I agree with you, it does look clean.

Poopscoop

Yeah, the winds look pretty bad tomorrow. If the ground is really sodden wea could see some trees coming down. 🙁

As for the cable stop, yeah, nothing to spoil it’s lines. Bet only you would even notice it? You know it is with your own bikes, you know every cm of it. To anyone else some parts might as well be invisible.lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New HT Christened today’ is closed to new replies.