New house – work needed – what first?

Home Forum Chat Forum New house – work needed – what first?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • New house – work needed – what first?
  • dooosuk

Start with the bathroom 😕

Cracking carpet, chair, curtain combo!

pingu66

Jeepers! How much!

johndoh

It’s Harrogate so yes, expensive.

Lived there all my life so am on the ‘Harrogate Ladder’.

And had an inheritance last year after losing both parents.

So that is the only reason I can afford it.

monkey_boy

wow nice house!

best of luck, i’d go with bathroom first, dont go all guns blazing live in it for a while as you will probably change your mind on alot of things!

trail_rat

assuming the bathrooms functional – the kitchen certainly looks it

do basics in the living room and bedrooms youll be living in first – as youll spend most time in those and they are BOGGIN

live with it for 3/4 months

then make changes once you know how the space is used. as you might do expensive things you later regret once you move in.

looks older…. how are the electrics/when were they last done. – that would be my first port of call – very disruptive job. Second would be – those radiators look mighty small output for the size of the rooms – assuming they are that size because of the boiler output id be checking that out….

then i would start with the improvements.

Ro5ey

“Jeepers! How much! “

Yeah it’s cheap up north, aye?

That would be a lovely open plan kitchen/diner/family room type thing…. with bi-fold doors etc onto the garden.

Nice house… go for it

johndoh

Some good feedback here…

House is 1980s and hasn’t been touched since then. Has a less than up to date circuit box but I assume it will just mean fitting a new RCD consumer unit????….

Boiler is a modern Worcester Bosch conventional unit with a hot water tank. The timer is old and would be replaced with a new digital one. I was thinking that updating the rads to K2 ones would be enough?

johndoh

That would be a lovely open plan kitchen/diner/family room type thing…. with bi-fold doors etc onto the garden.

Yeah, friends live around the corner and have done just that (although the bi-folds open into a conservatory).

johndoh

Looking to buy this place and, assuming we get a fair price for our place – we should have around £15k for improvements.

The family bathroom is the most in need of changing (the rest we could live with) but we also like the idea of knocking through to make a large kitchen/diner.

Thoughts please…

pingu66

Sorry to to hear about your parents, looks really nice lots of space. Harrogate is really nice, or at ;least the parts I have seen.

johndoh

No worries pingu, wasn’t said to make you feel bad, but don’t like people thinking I am flash ‘cos I am not. 🙂

Rickos

Don’t live with it for longer than 6 months though. After 6 months you’ll accept it and never get round to doing the things you want to now.

Kirstie Allsopp says so, so it must be true.

theflatboy

johndoh – Member

No worries pingu, wasn’t said to make you feel bad, but don’t like people thinking I am flash ‘cos I am not.

Let people think what they want, you’re under no obligation to set them straight unless you want to.

As for the house, personally we’ve prioritised things that are not functional / unuesable. From there we’ve done things in order of how much we dislike them, basically. Personally I’d be inclined to do refurbish rooms that you aren’t changing structurally first and then moving on to the bigger changes.

Premier Icon db
    Subscriber

You are all crazy…

1st job is to convert the garage into the “man cave” of his dreams and post pictures on here. The bathroom can wait.

🙂

trail_rat

“Kirstie Allsopp says so, so it must be true.”

aye – she does talk so much pish its unbelievable though.

when in aberdeen she looked at a few houses that i looked at with some couples for relocation relocation.

either shes a midget or blind “this house would be great for a family”

– bar the fact that an average sized person cant stand up upstairs and id have to be decapitated at the neck ! – and its on a main back road rat run that traffic regularly queues back past on a daily basis

johndoh

1st job is to convert the garage into the “man cave” of his dreams and post pictures on here. The bathroom can wait.

Shhh, don’t tell the wife. 8)

Already have plans for cannibalising the existing kitchen as shelving and will be utilising the built-in fridge….

(To be fair, the garage isn’t as big as the pictures make it look but still plenty big enough).

Ro5ey

” (although the bi-folds open into a conservatory). “

Mmmm warmth…. Said to the Mrs on Saturday I want a consevatory only when I retire… otherwise I will never do other thing, other than nap in the sun.

murf

80’s wiring is technically nearing the end of its life span as pvc cables do degrade and go stiff/lose flexibility. As a sparky though I’d be quite happy to use it provided you change the consumer unit and get all the cables insulation resistance tested as well as the earthing/bonding checked. Also check cables for mechanical damage and mice eating them wherever the cables are visible.

b r

How do you pronounce it ‘arrogate’ or ‘Harrow-gate’? 🙂

samuri

The house looks great, nice garden.
    It also looks massive but I think that’s mainly due to the garage being very big and stuck onto the house.

With that house, I would sort the kitchen first, probably open plan the three rooms together. For a big house the kitchen is small, this disappointed me in so many houses we looked at. Why are the kitchens so small?

Man cave, obviously.

theflatboy

In fact, I’ve changed my mind. If the issues with the bathroom are cosmetic, leave that and change the stuff that will actually improve the enjoyment of the house.

So go for use-changing stuff first, then the superficial cosmetic stuff after that.

johndoh

How do you pronounce it ‘arrogate’ or ‘Harrow-gate’?

Lived there all my life

So ‘Harrow-Gate’ naturally, not ”arrugut’

😀

Ro5ey

I like doing the main bedroom first.

Be happy in the last room you see at night/first thing you see of a morning.

I wouldn’t be able to relax in bed drinking tea/reading/the other in bad decor

johndoh

With that house, I would sort the kitchen first, probably open plan the three rooms together. For a big house the kitchen is small, this disappointed me in so many houses we looked at. Why are the kitchens so small?

You mean the part ‘below’ the kitchen but before the utility and the dining room to the left?

If so, that’s what our friends have done and it does make a great space. I am worried that we ‘lose’ a room that could be used as a playroom and keep mess hidden away though.

trail_rat

would most definantly integrate that space into the kitchen and have the utility off it.

Big kitchens well planned kitchens sell houses – even the builders have cottoned onto this.

like samuri i was disapointed by ALOT of houses kitchens due to them being too small to cook in comfortable – i guess it depends on your idea of cooking…. i like to cook – some folk like to microwave.

johndoh

I LOVE to cook.

And I *WILL* have something like this….

samuri

You mean the part ‘below’ the kitchen but before the utility and the dining room to the left?

Yeah, make an L shaped kitchen/diner, that’s what I’d do.

‘lose’ a room that could be used as a playroom
    There’s a little room next to the utility room, sorted 😉

And I *WILL* have something like this….
    The people who we’re buying our house off are leaving this behind (In the disappointing small kitchen).

The good news about this house is that the kitchen can easily be extended outwards into the huge back garden once we get a bit of spare cash so will live with a cheap refurb for the time being

marsdenman

Fingers crossed your sale / purchase goes well.
    As they have all said ^^^ – get electrics and plumbing checked – assuming they are you’re good to crack on – no point decorating etc only to find you’ve got to make a mess of it all to rewire, etc.

As things move on with your purchase, make a plan as to what you think you’d like to do then move in and, repeating the above advice, take your time to work out exactly what you want. Shifting walls etc are big money items.

re: opening out the space – opening kitchen into dining rooms would likely be top of our list.

Only other thing that springs to my mind – No door from garage into the house? Is it worth putting a door into the utility from the garage so you can drop your mucky stuff in there without going through your beautifully decorated new home – also gives ease of access to Man Cave / beer fridge / wine cellar etc 😉 Taking that a big step further – what’s that space to the left of the utility? It may be an option for a downstairs shower room – looks like the relevant plumbing is already in the room above?

Oh and yep – pump track in the back garden 🙂

trail_rat

“Only other thing that springs to my mind – No door from garage into the house? Is it worth putting a door into the utility from the garage so you can drop your mucky stuff in there without going through your beautifully decorated new home “

NO NO NO NO NO – especially with the door to the garden.

but i would put a door in the wall of the garage into the garden next to the utility rooms door if it was that much of a concern.

Muddy stuff should be hosed off before entering the utility room anyway 😉

johndoh

“Only other thing that springs to my mind – No door from garage into the house? Is it worth putting a door into the utility from the garage so you can drop your mucky stuff in there without going through your beautifully decorated new home “

NO NO NO NO NO – especially with the door to the garden.
    Already looked at the cost for a fire door 🙂

And why not trail-rat? I like the idea of being able to drive in (it has electric garage doors (ohh, get you) and straight into the house.

trail_rat

oh if its just car storage fill your boots.

if it was my garage opening the door to the house would just result in metal filings and wood dust entering the house.

johndoh

what’s that space to the left of the utility? It may be an option for a downstairs shower room – looks like the relevant plumbing is already in the room above?

It is the downstairs loo (no idea why it isn’t named on the plans) and yes – it is a good idea to put a shower in as it is big enough. However, already having an en-suite and a main bathroom (that will have a separate bath and shower when we update it) I think there will be enough so I might just save the cost on that one (I had already discussed that option with my wife 🙂 )

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Serious question – what’s with folk wanting an open-plan downstairs? Do people really spend more time in the kitchen than in the lounge/dining room?

I did read somewhere that nobody has a dining room these days and was thought of as being rather twee. My dining room is terrific – also doubles as a library and map room. 8)

chewkw

Assuming you like open plan … I would do the following changes.

Create a big room out of the following rooms:

1. Lounge
    2. Dinning room
    3. Entrance hall. (Never have staircase facing the main door – bad feng shui that)

Note: the living space and kitchen should be separated.

Then create a room with the following rooms:

1. Kitchen.
    2. Utility
    3. And the space between Kitchen & Utility. (kitchen space, if it is an entirely big kitchen space, should not be bigger than lounge or living space – bad feng shui that).

Apart from Bedroom 2 (assuming you integrate the above) , which is above the kitchen (cannot remember the problem now), the rest of the bed rooms are fine with toilet above utility room.

oh ya … main entrance door should not go straight to the rear door. This design means “easy come easy go” i.e. you will not be able to save money.

Ideally, staircase leading to rooms should be out of sight.

trail_rat

why in the world would you want your kitchen and utility room combined…. i love the fact i can stick the washing machine on and shut the door – then hardly hear it in the kitchen.

why would you want your entrance hall open plan with your living room

ill just leave via your front door — boom heat from lounge is gone !

chewkw

why in the world would you want your kitchen and utility room combined…. i love the fact i can stick the washing machine on and shut the door – then hardly hear it in the kitchen

Ah I see … noisy machine. In that case leave it but just integrate the middle section with kitchen. I like Scandinavian utility room (fridge room or store room whatever that is).

why would you want your entrance hall open plan with your living room

Do you really need all those corridors? Really waste of space.

ill just leave via your front door — boom heat from lounge is gone !

Could there be something like double door? a bit like two main doors.

mogrim

Are you planning on living in the place while all this building work’s going on? If you can delay moving in for a couple of months that would make a huge difference – be well worth getting any major work done immediately rather than waiting 6 months…

johndoh

Yes we can stay at the in-laws if required so that isn’t a problem.

pingu66

Johndoh never assumed you were flash at all, nice house, nice area. The only thing I am jealous about and I will remedy when I move is your new garage/man cave. Also a nice size garden which are my two main criteria when I come to move.

johndoh

You can’t believe how much I want that storage space. With two 3 yr olds, the tiny bit of space I did have in my shed has disappeared and every time I want to get something from in there I have to move about another 10 things – all bright pink and covered in tassles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘New house – work needed – what first?’ is closed to new replies.