Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New house owner lesson 1… door to door sales persons!
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Small Rant! After living in a student area since graduating and not living away from home prior to this. I've managed to fall pray to the dreaded door to door sales person! Wife answered the door to the "scout" which we then managed to some how arrange a follow up meeting.

Follow up meeting they came into my house left after 10min and no sale however but still I feel violated.. am I alone in feeling this way?! Should I be worried now that this was all a big scam for them to check all methods of breaking in and scoping out all my valuables?! Luckily the bike was out of site! Does such a company as Safestyle Windows exisit (google says yes)? Why didn't he give me a card when I asked for one?! So confused!

How's best to stop this happening in future? What tyres for Door to door sales person?

thepurist

Standard answer to any of them is "sorry, we're tenants". In my experience this seems to get rid of them, even if you're quite obviously in the middle of laying a new wooden floor in your hallway when you open the door.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Safestyle Uk?

Ya buy one, ya get one free, Ah said Ya buy one, ya get one free

The price that they start off with can be discounted by something like 75%.

So if he said £10k…. you want to get them for less than £3k.

[edit] if you don't want to talk, give him a stoney glazed look and say thank you but you're not interested as you start to close the door [edit]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jon1973
    Free Member

just answer the door stark bollock naked

ebygomm
    Free Member

My favourite's are

"It's rented"

"I'm under 18" (they never question this one despite the fact I'm 30 🙂 )

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

A polite but very firm NO THANKYOU

Never Ever 'invite' them inside your front door.

Never allow them to get out their first sentence – it encourages them.

Never (if your a female) let them know you are in alone.

Drac

"Not interested thanks"

That's all you have to say.

project
    Free Member

Have you come for the bible reading, welcome.

meehaja
    Free Member

I can't say no to people. I one changed electricity supplier twice in one day! My wife however, is superbly brutal. Jehova's, she tells em she's catholic, any services people she tells we're tenants, the double glazing guy who started with "I see you need new windows" She told "i like it like that" ( we had a big hole in our window at the time!) Best though was the lay who asked "Do you care about sick children?" got a response of "no!"

jon1973
    Free Member

That's all you have to say.

True, but generally they won't take that for an answer unless you follow it up by shutting the door in thier face.

When we joined the neighbourhood watch scheme we got a sticker to put on the front door to say we don't buy anything door-to-door, no one has bothered since.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I have a sign in the door saying no door to door sales or hawkers etc.
    If they ring on the bell I politely bring this notice to their attention by asking if they are actually able to read. If they insist on talking I then move to the impolite phrases……

If that doesn't work pick up your your old set of Bombers and own them…..

Drac

True, but generally they won't take that for an answer unless you follow it up by shutting the door in thier face.

Yes I should have added, "whilst closing the door."

crispybacon
    Free Member

get yourself one of these on your front door ………. should keep em away 😆

xc-steve
    Free Member

@project
    I love it!

So defiantly shouldn't be paranoid about the fact some random person came into my house and didn't give me a card?!

BigJohn

Door to door salesmen don't have cards because they're self-employed, usually. Even though they work full time for one company.

JulianA
    Free Member

Rather ashamed of the fact that I told some Jehova's Witnesses not to bother knocking on our neighbours' door as they were out sacrificing a goat and that we should be joining them later.

They laughed and went away!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

'Excuse me sir, would you be interested in some double glazing?
    'No thanks, my mate sells it'

'Excuse me sir, would you be interested in a new kitchen?
    'no thanks, my mate owns a kitchen company'

'Excuse me sir, would you be interested in an electric garage door/burglar alarm/soffits/gutters/new roof?
    'No thanks, my mate… (etc etc etc)

pacemaker
    Free Member

"I see you havn't got double glazing sir, could i intrest you in…."

To which my 6'4, 19 stone mate replied " Are you insulting my house c*nt ??" to them, they soon retreated.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Haha

I love it when someone from an electricity supplier comes round.
    Get them to tell you what they have learnt to say then ask them some questions on the supply market etc before telling them you work for an electricity company – they always seem to want to leave quickly (yes I am that boring!)

JulianA
    Free Member

Best story I heard about this sort of thing was a couple who got the double glazing rep round and went into all sorts of detail about what was required. When the rep came to close the deal they said 'You'd better contact the Navy for payment details'.

They lived in married quarters!

noteeth
    Free Member

Try and sell them stuff. Have a range of items ready to hand.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Tell them they are only allowed to pitch their wares in return for menial tasks, I once had a pair of Mormans clean my kitchen and bathroom, I think they were glad of the shelter, it was freezing outside!

spooky_b329

I started telling salespeople that I wasn't the homeowner after noticing how much quicker my neighbour (a tenant) managed to get rid of them. Last guy asked if he was the 'man of the house' to which he denied as well 🙂 (we can hear everthing through our walls)

The only time I will stand and listen is when I get miss-selling types coming round 'just to let me know' that they've taken over all the phone lines from the local exchange so I'll be saving £10 a month on my phone bill. I then start pushing for details before revealing that I work for BT and they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Had that tactic three times in the last five years now.

The best one was some jumped up oik with no manners being really pushy, leaning into the doorway, refusing to accept that he couldn't save me money on my free BT Broadband (staff perk) I asked (told) him to go three times before slamming the door in his face mid sentence, only to hear his colleague across the street laughing at him, following by my neighbour chuckling away as he could probably hear every word 🙂

I'm normally quite polite, I have actually changed energy supplier with a doorstep seller, but that was partly because I'd been failing to get off my backside and change for the previous 12 months. Felt all wrong though, giving in to a doorstep seller!

U31
    Free Member

I was at a party hosted by an ex Marine, Falklands era, more steel plates in his head then you've had hot dinners, built like s**ehouse and covered in tats.

It was getting to the end of the barbecue when a door to door Slimfast rep came up the path. The guy said his open gambit, something like can i interest you in slimfast… when Matey barks out a you calling me a fat b**tard?

I swear to this day i have never seen a guy run so fast!

amedias
    Free Member

You could always try the same tactic I have used in the past:

woman phoned cold called me on the phone to try and get me to switch phone suppliers, I bluntly told her 'I'm sorry I don't have a phone line' the silence was deafening before she hung up, presumably after her head exploding from a logical paradox.

so next time the try and sell you something:

'I see you don't have double glazing' – Thats right! these are forcefields I stole from the Enterprise, neat huh?

'I can save you money on your gas bill' – That's ok, we're all steam powered here thanks

'I can save you money on your electricity bill' – Thanks for the offer but my son goes to Hogwarts and your feeble 'electricity' seems a bit of a let down compared to the stuff he can do

etc etc. I find it best if you try and sound like you genuinely believe every word of nonsense you come out with, it's even more fun when they try to argue or get you to admit you're joking….turn it into entertainment and it doesn't seem as bad.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've claimed to have windmills on the roof generating our electricity. The caller hung up…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Invite them in to discuss their offer, whilst your dog chews their penis

andyl46
    Free Member

I like to see how long I can keep cold callers on the line using just the words "hello" and "yes". About 10minutes is the record so far. You'd be very very surprised how long you can keep this going for, if you are so inclined.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my dads in the building trade – some chap knocked on the door to fit windows

my dad played along just to see what he came up with

came to about 15k in total – my dad said

"yeah 15k that your best price – only im in the trade and i have all the windows in hardwood sat in the garage and i paid 3k total for them and will be fitting them my self" . the lad knew he had been played !

hels
    Free Member

Man you lot are far too polite. I just go with "rack off".

RD350LC
    Free Member

Say to them can they call back later when your parents are home as It`s there house

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Done this to Jehova's before. They scarper real quick, especially if they have their teenage daughters with them 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

That is how I used to get rid of the bible nutters in Korea.

They used to come around and bray on the door and ring the doorbell over and over if they heard me at home.

Open the door with the tackle swinging though and they never came back.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New house owner lesson 1… door to door sales persons!’ is closed to new replies.