Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Hope Pro2 Evo front hub – side to side play
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I recently built a new Hope Pro2 Evo front hub into a wheel, but now I’ve put it in the forks there is noticeable side to side play. The forks are 20mm bolt through Pikes, but the play is definitely coming from the hub. The axle QR is done up tight.

This is the first Hope hub I’ve used. Is there a way to tighten the cartridge bearings?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No. Either duff bearings, duff assembly or duff manufacture.

Call Hope – they are extremely good at sorting these things out.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Dang. Cheers Al, have mailed them.

steelframe
    Free Member

Any outcome from your e-mail?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Probably the first standard response: Have I tried it in another set of forks to rule out the axle?

I haven’t actually, makes sense to. Will be doing that this weekend.

Do you mean side to side play at the hub, which would mean something is seriously wrong, or at the rim, which just means worn bearings ?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mine had a bit of play from new on 20mm and 15mm axles.

I ran it like that for a year or so.

A new set of bearings cured it.

benman
    Free Member

I had a bit of play in mine from new. I knocked them out, put them back in, and the play disappeared. I don’t think they were seated quite properly. The play hasn’t returned.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Had this with a customers wheel in january. Hope replaced the hub body.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

The play is noticeable at the rim, which is worrying as the hub is brand new.

Toppers – did you send the whole wheel back or just the hub? Don’t want to spend more ££ getting the wheel built again 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I seem to dimly remember some Hope/Rockshox compatibility issue from yonks back. Might be wrong though…

BadlyWiredDog

I had similar Pike/Pro 2 issues and changed the bearings which sorted it in one case. With another Pike/Pro 2 combo, I ended up using a thin washer under the head of the Maxle so that it was able to compress the drop-outs properly. As standard, even when the axle was fully home and tightened, there was a very obvious gap between the inside of the drop-out and the hub spacer and consequent play between hub and drop-outs.

I should probably have simply contacted Hope, but I needed a quick solution at the time and it did the trick.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers BWD will remember that. I’ll be testing them on some Maguras this weekend. Hopefully it’s the axle!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Turns out it was an issue with the maxle not twisting in tight enough. Fast customer support reply from Hope though.

Back to work…

hopefiendboy

DANG? Have you gone all Americano since your holibags?

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Hope Pro2 Evo front hub – side to side play’ is closed to new replies.