New Helmet XC/Road/Cross? (my 3 finds inside)

• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  alpin.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • New Helmet XC/Road/Cross? (my 3 finds inside)
  • alexdodd

I’m in the market for a new helmet, in fact i’m way overdue. My big lid is fine, but it’s too much for a lot of stuff.
    The helmet has to perform these three-ish duties above. So I guess i’m asking something road/racey but with a detachable peak.

Budget up to around £100, and want it fitting well so nothing unisize!

My three i’ve boiled it down to are:-

Bell – Sweep RRP: £99.99

Although Bell don’t have a crash replacement program outside the US.

Giro – Athlon RRP £99.99

Like for like 50% off RRP crash replacement which isn’t bad.

Cratoni C-limit RRP £134.99

Crash replacement currently unknown.

RRP’s aside really since I can get these all for around the same price.
    Anything obvious i’ve missed? Has anyone tried these, or care to comment?

Conqueror

btw http://www.sportpursuit.com/ have a load of Bell helmets at clear-out prices

Bell Sweep is ~45 quid on there

alexdodd

That’s about the price i’m paying for it anyway tbh, but good shout!

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Get two. Giro savant for road, hex for off-road. Should get both of those for £100

JoB

i use the same helmet for XC/road/cross, any of those will be fine, get the one that fits you the best

rp16v

I use a giro rift for all the mentioned dutys

Jamie

Get two. Giro savant for road

I have a savant for everything. Was about £30ish from Rutland Cycles.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

More road, but Kask mojito?

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Which one fits your head best?

Try them on first.

mtbtomo

Are you sure Bell don’t have a crash replacement programme? I got a Bell Sweep replaced on their crash replacement programme a few years ago. I had to get the Bell distributors number from the bike shop, but it was all fine – send the old one back, pay about half the rrp and get a new one.

My current Bell Sweep was £54 just a few months ago in Evans and they’re probably even cheaper now, so crash replacement is hardly worth worrying abour since rrp is £99.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Buy whatever folk on here tell you to.

gringojimi

Another vote for Kask Mojito here

Buy whatever folk on here tell you to.

Definitely a met parachute.

Surely try them on before buying?
    Nobody knows what your head shape is

alexdodd

Al- Thanks :p

mtbtomo – Have had a few emails back and fourth confirming the lack of. I know in most cases if you’re not getting 50% off the RRP anyway, you’re doing it wrong :p But it’s just in case I like it and want one right away after a crash (and its not on sale!). It’s not a total deal breaker.

I’ve bought them all, and will compare as and when they arrive.

Cynic-Al: Expect me to mull over this for a week at least , hope you’re ready 😉

steve_b77

I use a Specialized S3 for Road, Cross & XC, they do a good crash replacement.

It’s silly light, has a detachable peak and is very comfortable.

Gordymac

+1 for the Kask Mojito easily the most comfortable and adjustable helmet I’ve ever worn outside of my Troy Lee A1
    I use mine for road, cross and racing mountain biking 😀

alexdodd

S3 is a good call, had somehow overlooked that thinking it didn’t have a peak.

The Kask Mojito is over my budget, and also doesn’t appear to have a detachable peak.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Alex, I look forward to yet more days of helmet discussions 😛

Probably best if you’re wearing one when you bring the topic up TBH

In all seriousness if fit is so important (which is correct IMO) won’t it be easier to get something from us?

I use a Mavic Syncro for those duties. Well in your budget, detachable peak, and very adjustable/comfortable for my head.

Had a couple of Met Veleno helmets. Their road version is just the same hemet san visor.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I use an Athlon on the road. Decent, comfortable, lightweight, doesn’t make me look like a roadie (important, that).
    Also, it was nowhere near £99.

alpin

SCOTT Vanish Evo

went into a store last year to waste some time and picked up this helmet and placed it on my bonce. you know when it something fits… well it does.

ended up paying next to nothing for it as the guy gave me the wrong box. when i took it to the till the lady said 2oh, ex-diplay” and knocked 20% off. ended up paying 45€ rather than 120€.

but, it fits brilliantly, it well ventialted and looks “road” without the peak.

Premier Icon benji

Had a cratoni crashed it, no replacement policy was forthcoming. Now have specialized lid, very comfortable and an excellent crash replacement policy, even changed the colour for me no problems.

shedbrewed

Another Kask wearer here for racing.
    I don’t get the crash replacement expectations; you’re not buying a helmet to do anything other than protect your head if you crash so if you crash and it gets damaged then it’s done the job you bought it for.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I don’t get the crash replacement expectations…

I stick with Giro for two reasons; primary being that they fit my massive head and secondary that they have a good crash replacement policy – I’m on my third Xen using it. Funnily enough I actually wrote the two previous helmets off hitting low tree branches…

But, as other have pointed out on this thread, a new helmet can often be found for less than the policy!

Premier Icon benji

I don’t get the crash replacement expectations; you’re not buying a helmet to do anything other than protect your head if you crash so if you crash and it gets damaged then it’s done the job you bought it for.

It’s not a cheap item, and it’s nice for the manufacturers to recognise this, and offer a cheaper replacement for when you do stack it. They also get a product back that has seen real world crash damage rather than a simulation in a lab, so in the end both the consumer and the manufacturer are winners.

Wrote three helmets off last year, hopefully less this year.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Had a Xar, broke it in a big crash, got a new one half price replacement a few weeks ago. Works for me 🙂

alpin

Wrote three helmets off last year, hopefully less this year.

fewer

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘New Helmet XC/Road/Cross? (my 3 finds inside)’ is closed to new replies.