• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by dab.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New helmet time?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’ve had a Specialized Tactic since May 2016. In that time it’s had the occasional glancing blow from a tree branch but no major prang so structurally sound. I noticed yesterday though that the coloured outer skin is so bleached that it’s starting to lift off the main part in one of the corners – the lid has bleached in a few areas due to what looks like over exposure to UV. Time to replace or good for a while yet?

rOcKeTdOg

Replace.

earl_brutus

i replace mine every 2 years

roverpig

As it happens I just replaced my helmet. The previous Fox Flux had managed three years of riding a couple of times a week and the odd knock along the way, but probably should have been replaced a bit sooner to be honest. I’ve never really considered Specialized stuff to be honest, but after trying every helmet in the shop it was the Tactic 3 that seemed to fit my bonce the best. It’s the ony helmet I’ve owned (in 30 odd years)  where I can easily adjust the chin strap !

rascal
    Free Member

I think I can just about justify getting a new one.

Only certain brands tend to fit my bounce though – Fox, Met and Specialized. Giro are on it rather than around it.

Could go like for like and get another Tactic but in black for £40 online…or buy a very nice looking and fitting Kask I tried on in LBS today but that’s double your money at £80 😬. One good whack and they’re both rendered useless so any point ever paying more than £40 if it’s comfy, fits and looks good (minor point I know)?

qwerty
    Free Member

If you deal direct with Specialized UK they’ll probably replace it under the crash replacement deal (they’ve done mine for just being old before). IIRC its about 40% off MRRP. Get an Ambush.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt anyone KNOWS whether you need to replace it or not. The impact protection is via the EPS which appears to be fine.

teamslug
    Free Member

My riding pal knew its was time to change his a few weeks ago when he landed on his head broke his neck and his helmet. The helmet breaking probably saved his life.

dab

Got a lazer Revolution MIPS

very happy with it, will prolly get another one next year too

The sweet bushwacker looks nice and Abu’s do something quite funky too

main thing is fit first, brand second !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New helmet time?’ is closed to new replies.