Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Helmet for my Brother after a big crash?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So my brother totalled himself today, misjudging a whip on one on the tabletops on DH3 over at Grenoside. He’s had the works – MRI brain scans, cervical scans, thoracic scans to look for internal bleeding – and tomorrow he’s going in for surgery on his knee.

Anyway, to cheer him up I’m going to buy him a new helmet (as he wrecked his brand new one).

The thing is, he has a love for Troy Lees – however being an ex Nationals racer and a bit of freeride monkey – he has a habit of doing things that will give you as big of an injury as racing MX would.

So – my choices are

a Troy Lee D3 Carbon to make him happy?

a Leatt DBX 6.0 2017 – good cross between safety and size?

or a 6D ATB-1 or the MX ATR-1? These are bigger helmets that have elastomers sandwiched between two layers of EPS…that in a way emulates how the brain is suspended in the skull, the crashes where MX riders have walked away..when wearing the moto version are pretty mental?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-jMz-hDgz0[/video]

I’m thinking to err on the side of safety and get him the 6D – as this isn’t the first head injury he’s had – and he has a wife and child.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If they are mx lids what’s the weight of them?

Give a lot of the recent coverage looking at why the big knocks and trying to prevent them. The lid copes with the impact not the long term damage from repeated concussion.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

About 1350g, that’s the thing that I like with the 6D – the soft dampers between the EPS – I guess those may help with lower speed hits and help to reduce the total amount of Gs imparted on the brain.

The leatt attempts to address it in a lighter package with D30 type material – added as inserts to the inside of the helmet and dual density EPS – that is formed in a cone shape so the EPS gets progressively harder to crumple the more you compress it. Meaning that the outer layer of EPS can be really soft.

I just feel a bit sorry for him tbh, he’s had a bit of a rough time of it really and feel like getting him something nice. Money isn’t really an object in this case, I’m not bothered how much the helmet costs. I’m just on the fence as to whether to buy him something that will cheer him up (the D3 as he is a bling whore) or something that might marginally improve his safety.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oink1
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Anyway, to cheer him up I’m going to buy him a new helmet (as he wrecked his brand new one)

What a top bro!! Go for safety IMO – Im sure he’ll appreciate it 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, been doing a bit of research – it seems the Bell Moto-9 Flex is very similar to the 6D but physically smaller and a bit better looking. Plus, the three layer EPS/polystyrene/EPP has been designed to conform to your bonce slighty – which is good because both of us have issues with pressure points with most helmets.

It’s pretty cool, the first black layer is for medium impacts, the second orange layer is for low speed impacts and acts as a slip plane like MIPS and the outer (grey) EPS layer directly under the shell is for high speed impacts.

I think a proper MX helmet is more suited to hooning off Peatys drop etc, so I’m going to go with the Flex 9 for him. Still, I’m not sure he appreciates safety hahah – he wasn’t wearing his kneepads and he stoved his knee in as a result.

I’m going to get him some stabilisers and a book on how to ride a bicycle as well.

scaredypants

Presumably he already has a neck brace ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Take him to shop with good range of stock.
    Have him try lots on.
    Let him choose the one that fits him best.
    Pay the bill, give him the helmet he chose.

Nice gesture, though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Presumably he already has a neck brace ?

Noooope. I will badger my folks into getting him one.

Letting him try them on is a good shout, although we have the same shaped heads. I guess then he could decide on aesthetics and safety etc.

simondbarnes

What CFH said

joemmo
    Free Member

As well as the helmet, you’ll probably find the intrinsic safety features built into Wife With Child (TM) start to become more active. Sometimes they take a while to kick in but sooner or later – along with Increased Awareness Of Mortality (R) – they start to put the brakes on drop hooning and similar behaviours 🙂

Nice gesture, hope he makes a swift recovery.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Helmet for my Brother after a big crash?’ is closed to new replies.