Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • New helmet bad crash
  • Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

Had a bad crash last week and knocked myself out for a few seconds, the helmet took the impact like a champ and I’ve got a nice dent as a souvenir
    The helmet is only a few months old it’s not split just got some scuffs and a dent.
    Do I need to buy a new lid or is it still ok?…
    helmet

Premier Icon Tim
    Free Member

Yep. New helmet. The foam will be crushed which reduces it’s efficacy.

Manufacturer may offer crash replacement?

Premier Icon devash
    Free Member

Yes, absolutely buy a new one.

Premier Icon joebristol

New lid – that’s screwed

Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

Ahh thought as much…bang goes £130…but then it did save me…priceless!
    The lid is a fox speedframe Pro…the MIPS was defo worth the money

Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

The main thing is that you walked away from it in good health.And that is good news in itself.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

It’s served its purpose.

New lid.

Premier Icon stumpy01

See if Fox do a crash replacement reduced price….
    I think a lot of the helmet manufacturers do.

Premier Icon Phil_H

That’s kaput. New lid time.

Premier Icon windyg
    Free Member

It saved your head, £130 well spent.
    Contact their customer service dept and they may well give you a discount

Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

Will do cheers guys..ride safe

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Is it an urban myth that they take the old ones to see how they worked in a real crash test situation?

Premier Icon chrismac

As others have said in the bin and thank it for doing its job for you

Premier Icon Jordan

chrismac

As others have said in the bin and thank it for doing its job for you

Nah, you gotta hang it on the wall in your bike shed to show your grandkids what a gnarly rider you woz back in the day!

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Is it an urban myth that they take the old ones to see how they worked in a real crash test situation?

Giro didn’t ask for mine when I bought under the crash replacement.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

Worth checking if you have any damage protection on your payment method. Amex covers you for 90 days for any loss or damage iirc

Premier Icon tomparkin

Had a bad crash last week and knocked myself out for a few seconds,

Worth getting yourself checked out for concussion?

I’ve read a few articles about it in recent times and the general synopsis seems to be “better safe than sorry” when it comes to the aftereffects of a knock to the head.

Premier Icon clubby

Giro didn’t ask for mine when I bought under the crash replacement.

Kask asked for mine back. Was only its second ride as well. 50% off new one I think. Like others said, you’ve had your money’s worth. That temple area is not one you want big impacts to.
    Not sure if they tested it or just take it back to avoid anyone riding about in a crash damaged helmet.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

The remains of mine a short while ago after a period of low level flight…

received-2360958590829618

Premier Icon joepud
    Free Member

I don’t think they do. I tried to get one on a proframe not long ago and the bike shop said they don’t offer one. I now have a Stage as TLD do offer it.

Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

Worth getting yourself checked out for concussion?

I’ve read a few articles about it in recent times and the general synopsis seems to be “better safe than sorry” when it comes to the aftereffects of a knock to the head.

I got a full check out a few days ago as I was having trouble at work lifting things…just got soft tissue damage …stiff neck and a lump by the temple…
    But the worst is the looks from my wife when I mention my bike and how it OK.. lol

Premier Icon bikesandboots

The remains of mine a short while ago after a period of low level flight…

Not a Speedframe Pro? That’s properly destroyed, were you disappointed or is that a reasonable state for whatever it went through?

Premier Icon jblewi
    Free Member

Fox offer crash replacement in Canada, 25% off within one year.

Might be worth asking the question!

Premier Icon bobbyspangles
    Free Member

new one needed and glad you’re not too badly injured.
    I have a rule that I’ll buy a helmet o can afford to replace.

Premier Icon mrdestructo

The helmet did its job, mount it on your wall of fame and then buy another (maybe the manufacturer will do a crash replacement discount if you want the same one/brand)

KO’d? take a couple of weeks off anything that can give you another head strike. A CT scan will be able to determine if any brain swelling. Monitor for mTBI symptoms. Headway.org.uk will have a checklist, advise keeping a journal to spot subtle symptoms, changes to normality.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot

If a local school/youth club have beikeability or cycle club offer it to them to show they work.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Not a Speedframe Pro? That’s properly destroyed, were you disappointed or is that a reasonable state for whatever it went through?

No, a Specialized something or other. I was happy it was in that state as I was knocked out, broke my neck and destroyed my bike. The neck break was a couple of mm from eating through a straw and investigating electric mobility vehicles – so a narrow squeak.

All good now 🙃

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

IANAD but My lad got knee’d in the head playing rugby, not knocked out, but got the whole concussion assessment, tired and bit wobbly on balance tests. Off sport for 3 weeks, and having to complete the SCAT5 (sports concussion assessment test) daily. It looks at a variety of symptoms indicative of concussion. He’s getting pinged for a couple of things we wouldn’t have noticed otherwise.

If i were you I’d use this SCAT5 assessment on your phone and use that as the journal Mrdestructo suggeted https://scat5.cattonline.com/

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

Right on the temple, ouch, and another ouch from the wallet, got a speedframe myself, didn’t think the pro was worth it.
    I have seen people riding with similar damage, not advising just saying.

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

But the worst is the looks from my wife when I mention my bike and how it OK.. lol

Maybe she would be happier if you spot some damage and it needs replaced? #newbike!

Premier Icon granny_ring

Can’t believe you’re actually asking OP tbh…
    Glad your ok after the prang, like others have said – crash replacement hopefully available to you.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

If a local school/youth club have beikeability or cycle club offer it to them to show they work.

That’s a great idea

Premier Icon bigblackshed

As everyone is in agreement I’d say that this isn’t STW and you’ve posted on the wrong forum.

Yep, new lid time.

Might be worth claiming on your house contents insurance if you have accidentally damage cover and the excess is fairly low. I did when I destroyed mine, but I did have to be cut out of all of my clothes in A&E resus to put me in a CT scanner. So the claim was worth the excess payment.

Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

Thankfully my crash was mild compared to others.
    Although I don’t remember the impact or the next half mile…but my mates said I was being well weird….

Someone ask the question about the difference between the speedframe pro and standard.
    The main difference between is other than better logos is the pro has dual density EPS….and a cool magnetic buckle
    Defo worth the extra now

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

…but my mates said I was being well weird…

Before the incident… 🤪

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.