Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • New hardtail frame……bargain content!
  • joebristol

They’re looking a little steep compared to that new 29er Bird have just released now I’m looking at the 2 pictures side by side! But at 66.5 degrees I think they’re just what I was looking for.

joebristol

First ride done – love it. The pikes are great – front end is lighter than the other bike with lyriks- and they’re so smooth. Will change the airshaft at some point but it rides nice enough that there’s no hurry.

The short back end makes manualling / popping off lips / pulling up off drops really easy. The forks and current high handlebar position help – I probably need to get some smaller spacers and try the bar a little lower to see how that is. Can’t recommend the frame enough for the price really. Also did ok on steep tech stuff – 66.5 degrees is slack enough for that imo.

Simon

Had a proper test ride of mine today and it’s great, really fun to ride.

Northwind

Going back up the thread a bit but the sentier is now sold out at CRC, but the Octane One Prone is in the black friday sale for £130.

trumpton
    Free Member

nice thread.Nothing like a decent bargain.

dai3015
    Free Member

Finally built mine up now and taken it for a couple of spins – rides nicely

joebristol

Looking good – still thinking it was a proper bargain. The more I ride it the more I like it!

What forks are those?

Since I built mine I’ve taken all the white graphics off the Pikes and replaced them with Matt black ones. Plus my 140mm debonair air shaft should arrive tomorrow so can put them to the proper length.

Just need some thinner stem spacers so I can play with the height at the front a bit as only got 2 big spacers.

dai3015
    Free Member

140mm Yari

a really good frame. I really loved my Mondraker Vantage Plus but this one is pretty close

joebristol

Nice work – properly stiff fork for abusing! I’m not aware of that Mondrager but I’m going to say it was a lot more expensive than £140……

souster4
    Free Member

Guys, I’m running this frame and love it.
    My only problem which is probably down to me is the gear cable routing.

I’m on my 3rd gear cable now (inner and outer), and been as I use it in the winter slop thought my poor shifting was down to mud in the cables.

However, I’ve recently fitted a fully sealed fibrax kit that has barely improved it. I’m running slx 11-46 set up, changes up the block fine. Changes down go smaller cogs are a PITA. Mainly the top 3 and then it’s ok.

I’ve tried having the cable nearest the rear mech longer so it’s at less of an angle entering the mech, tried it shorter, but now I’m totally stuck. I have got it crossing from one side of the frame to the other under the top tube, but been as the cable is sleeved I didn’t think that mattered.

Any help please it’s driving me mad

joebristol

I think mine crosses from one side to the other too – the dropper is using the closest one to the mech side at the moment (until I get Roy d to but I g a stealth dropper).

My gears shift perfectly – so light it’s untrue. But I’m running sram rather than Shimano so I can’t really comment on the length of the final stretch of cable from the frame to the mech. Mines pretty short and straight which seems the cable entering nice and smoothly into the rear mech. If you move the cable up and down through the cables without being attached to the mech does it feel smooth and easy?

If it does then maybe something b screw related isn’t quite right?

souster4
    Free Member

Thanks alot Joe.

You were bang on! B tension screw wasn’t quite set right, and also too much tension on the slx clutch.
    It’s changing like perfection now in the work stand, buttery smooth. Let’s hope it stays somewhere near in the slop!
    Cheers mate

joebristol

Ah that’s good to hear! B screw often seems to make a huge difference once you’ve ruled out any cable friction issues. The bike should be awesome fun now it’s running right. Poppy and fun but also pretty stable so far on the steep stuff.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get time to swap out the old 130mm air shaft for a shiny new 140mm debonair 2019 one with its go faster red anodised bit!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail frame……bargain content!’ is closed to new replies.