Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New hardtail frame
  • jemima
    Free Member

It’s been a while…

So for one reason and another I fancy replacing an antiquated Anthem with a modern hardtail. I’ll be looking to buy a frame and then forks and wheels (27.5″) and everything else will swap over.

My question is then what frames should I be looking at in the modern style of ‘long, low, slack’ fun bike – not XC race?

I’m guessing:

Orange P7
    Stif Morf
    Stanton Slackline (too expensive)

What else should be on the list?

Thanks.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Commencal HT Meta AM (I just built one of those)
    Sonder Transmitter
    Nukeproof Scout

keefmac

cotic bfe
    onza jackpot
    bird zero
    mondraker vantage

wl
    Free Member

In the tradition of plugging the bike I have, the P7 is flipping mint. Use mine for everything from 30+ milers in the Pennines through to silly steep and cheeky stuff in local Calderdale woods. I can’t fault it. Haven’t ridden any of the others.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The only think I would add is to be careful it’s not TOO long…

jamesfts
    Free Member

Nukeproof Scout is worth a look, certainly a big improvement over the Meta HT it replaced.

jemima
    Free Member

Good recommendations thanks. That Bird AM sounds good and seems really good value.

ctk
    Free Member

Kinesis phase 27.5
    Cotic Soul

nickfrog
    Free Member

Nukeproof Scout is worth a look, certainly a big improvement over the Meta HT it replaced.

Don’t tell me that as I considered both!

In what areas do you find the big improvement ?

dirkpitt74

How about a Dartmoor Hornet?

jemima
    Free Member

Hornet seems very good value and interesting proposition that it can take 26″ wheels okay… I didn’t think I’d find a bike where I could swap the wheels over as well…

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the Hornet? Is it just a gnaaargh machine or could you ride it as a ‘do it all bike’?

essexbiker
    Free Member

Alpkit’s Sonder Transmitter

jamesfts
    Free Member

Don’t tell me that as I considered both!

In what areas do you find the big improvement ?

Oops, sorry about that!

For me the main thing is the sizing, at 6ft riding a large Meta it felt really small, the same size Scout is about 30mm longer up front and has a bit extra on the seat post too. Also the Scout has a 142×12 rear end which stiffens up the rear compared to the Meta.

It also hasn’t snapped yet, I had a bit of a falling out with Commencal over this so got rid of both of mine and wouldn’t buy another, see – snapped Meta.

Only thing against the Scout I’d say is the looks but it does grow on you.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Oops, sorry about that!

For me the main thing is the sizing, at 6ft riding a large Meta it felt really small, the same size Scout is about 30mm longer up front and has a bit extra on the seat post too. Also the Scout has a 142×12 rear end which stiffens up the rear compared to the Meta.

It also hasn’t snapped yet, I had a bit of a falling out with Commencal over this so got rid of both of mine and wouldn’t buy another, see – snapped Meta.

Only thing against the Scout I’d say is the looks but it does grow on you.

No worries and thanks for the feedback – you’re right about the 30mm difference in TT/reach and that’s what appealed to me as it was the same as my previous HT (resistance to change, eh?). I am 6ft too actually but so far so good. Yeah the 135mm rear is a bit last century but the rear end is already so stiff. I’ll look at your snappage thread. Thx!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline (too expensive)

Don’t discount the slackline on price, it’s a really really good hardtail.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can’t recommend the Slackline enough.

I had an original 853 which was a lovely bike to ride and the new one is very very close to this despite the bolt through axle, bigger seat and head tubes. I borrowed one from Dan for a few weeks last year and loved it – it was pretty damn comfortable as far as hardtails go (more so than my Ti Switchback), climbed better than my Switchback yet was still really good fun to ride.

It’s kind of a hidden gem in their range – most people who want a 650b hardtail just buy a Switchback because its slacker and therefore better. Those who want to bosh out loads of miles buy a Sherpa.

There is no denying that it’s expensive but it does use full Reynolds tubing (853 for the front triangle and 525 for the rear). The paint finish etc is very good too.

chestrockwell

I have just got a p7 and can highly recommend. Lots of fun!

ChrisL

I recently got an Orange Clockwork Evo frame and it has built up into a very nice bike. It is fairly low and slack and is definitely long. It does commit what is for some the mortal soon of not being steel though. That’s fine by me.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for a Slackline here. Glad I paid a little extra and got exactly what I wanted. Tougher than it looks, more comfortable than I imagined it would be. Best hardtail I’ve owned.

BillOddie

Worth looking at the Chromag Rootdown and the newer Rootdown BA.

Not sure how you would go about getting one in the UK now but they do come up second hand from time to time.

140mm forks and 29in wheel on hardtails are a wonderful thing!

Bloody love mine!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JKK9xW]2016-07-31_07-36-03[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

daern
    Free Member

Not seen mentioned here, but the Morf (Stif Cycles) and RC127 (Pace) are both well regarded with good, Northern heritage – i.e. they’ll handle a bit of mud 😉

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the Sc chameleon if you could handle the colours looks great for me £549, and a choice of wheel size

jemima
    Free Member

Ooh- I’m liking that Stanton with the skinwalls… for some reason a ninja stealth frame with skinwalls had already occurred to me…

dannyh
    Free Member

Handsomedog – Member
    Anyone ridden the Hornet? Is it just a gnaaargh machine or could you ride it as a ‘do it all bike’?

No, but I’ve got a Primal 27.5 and it is probably a bit more of a ‘do it all’ bike. I run it with 140mm Sektors and love it.

The deep red paintjob is lovely too……..

PROLINE85
    Free Member

P7 all the way…

funkmasterp

Production Privee Shan?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not sure how you would go about getting [a Chromag] in the UK now

You order one, and go to Whistler to fetch it. 😉

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have just built a Dartmoor Hornet and can thoroughly recommend it!

Built with 26″ wheels but will take 27’s too

5lab

Also just built up a hornet and loving it – the one above is last years (I think) – this years is a bit more ‘modern’

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Yeah they have changed the tubing so it looks a bit smoother.

I’m happy enough with this, bolt through 12mm axle, stealth dropper routing, tapered head tube, tidy under top tube cable routing, its a lot of right!

mahalo

I built up a Transition Trams AM 27.5 recently – superb bike to ride!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Calamity James – Member
    Another vote for a Slackline here.

What helmet is that?

kayak23

Run what you brung innit…

Production Privee Oka

Or the Shan.

The Oka is slightly more trail, Shan more gnarcore.

AlexSimon

Pace RC127 or RC127+

stevied
    Free Member

Liteville H-3? Can be configured in many ways – B+, trail, all mountain. 26″ or 27.5″ rear wheel.

H-3

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member

What helmet is that?

IXS Trail RS.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks fella, looks smart.

ljs1977
    Free Member

I do believe the bike you are looking for is an Orange Crush.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail frame’ is closed to new replies.