Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • New hardtail build in progress.. post yours!
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Just spent the morning putting together a new fun do it all/trail hardtail that should also be pretty fun down the jumps. The Sektors feel great, really smooth and plush and put the 2010 55 RC3s on my dh bike to shame! I may need a harder spring though, having to use a lot of compression for it to feel right.

Next things on the list are a Thomson post so I can pedal it around properly, new wheels (currently borrowing the front one from my DH bike, and the back hub is borderline nackered), then black bars and cranks because I’m a tart. Might need to sort out the braking at some point as well! Just had a quick ride on it and it feels really fun. 32-16 is far too easy though.

Also, red hubs or black? And white rims or black? This is important!

Post your work in progress 🙂

johnhe

My vote is red hubs and black rims.

ryderredman
    Free Member

My votes down for the red hubs black rim approach. Out of curiosity, how much do you weigh? I feel like that on my sektors too! Whats your intended use for this beast?

stevede
    Free Member

Another vote for black rims on red hubs to avoid a white-out.
    Not so much a build in progress, finished it a couple of weeks ago:

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m about 72kg now on the standard spring. I haven’t actually measured the sag so it may just be that I’m not used to such a plush fork rather than it actually being too soft. My intended use is general trail centre riding, local bridleways (when they’re dry), jumps and a bit of dh when I don’t feel like riding my bmx or dh bikes. It may be a bit small for pedalling actually, but I’m only short (29″ inside leg) and the frame was a bargain.

edit – nice steve 🙂 Is that a ti slackline?

paladin

I’m slowly amassing parts for a malt2, should have everything by the weekend hopefully 😀

stevede
    Free Member

_tom_ – it is indeed a ti slackline, love it 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

plain ti finishes always look awesome, wish I could afford one 🙁

ryderredman
    Free Member

Just wondering have you got 15 or 20mm sektors? I got told my 15’s wouldn’t really be strong enough for dh

matther01
    Free Member

Stevede – so the ti slackline finally arrived…looks good.

wukfit
    Free Member

Picked up some cheap forks, stem and front mech, so was able to turn all my spares into a complete (white one obv) 😀

image by wukfit, on Flickr][/url]

tymbian
    Free Member

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

WTF??? ^^^

martinh
    Free Member

I have a tracking number so the build is a few days away

_tom_
    Free Member

Just wondering have you got 15 or 20mm sektors? I got told my 15’s wouldn’t really be strong enough for dh

They’re 20mm and they feel just as solid as my old Pikes did, plus a lot plusher. Took a link out the chain and sorted out the chainline last night. EBBs are a bit of a PITA to tension the chain with, still can’t beat horizontals. Depending how much I like this bike I’ll probably end up 1×10’ing it anyway at some point – really depends how much XC I end up doing on it. I’m liking the spds for singlespeed at the minute but currently I only associate road bikes with being clipped in so have already had a few ungraceful sideways dismounts 😆

longmover
    Free Member

New forks are on the list of things to get as are new cranks, wheels and pedals.

davewilson634
    Free Member

Not a hard tail but want to show it off finished yesterday.

_tom_
    Free Member
    davewilson634
    Free Member

Thanks mate still doesn’t show without hitting link strange…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Recently added new wheels and tyres. 719s on XT hubs with 2.35″ Ignitor LUST on the front and 2.0″ Larsen TT LUST on the back. Oh, and ESI silicon grips, and an SLX rear mech with pg990 cassette, with a KMC chain. And a successful tubeless setup.

slackalice
    Free Member

Oooh, go on then 🙂

The new addition to the Slack household, finished last night with the arrival of pedals. It’s for my wonderful Mrs Slack, who has been bike-less since last year due to some toe-rag making off with the P7. It’s used mainly for commuting duties, with occasional off-road forays en famille, hence the lots of 3M black reflective tape…

The replacement, a used Kinesis Decade Virtue (Virsa), Tange Prestige frame bought off e-bay and kitted out with the bits from my recently retired SC Superlight. A quick spin up the road and it pedals and the wheels go round and the brakes and gears work, result! 🙂

Mrs Slack is deeeelighted!

sharkbait
    Free Member

My Lynskey 456 frame arrived yesterday and has quickly been built up to this (please excuse the mismatched tyres, they’re tubeless and I think the front is now welded to the rim it’s been on so long!)

Lynskey Loveliness by Metal-Chicken, on Flickr

shortcut

Sharkbait – that 456 is nice. Happy to excuse the tyres. But sort the seat post out – wrong way round!!

composite
    Free Member

My Lurcher frame arrived today to join the XT cranks and the SLX clutch mech. There is a way to go before that one will be completed. 😐

mindmap3
    Free Member

Couple of pics of my BFe that gets used for mucking about on. Now sporting a pair of 2004 Z1 freerides (all black) with a 20mm bolt through axle and a cheapo X0 mech in orange. It hasn’t cost me much to build up and is great fun.

tops5
    Free Member

Here’s my c456

Now with Easton Haven wheels

mindmap3
    Free Member

Op, forgot to say that I’d go all black wheels. They’d look ace in your white frame and forks.

paladin

This is my first build, still got a few bits to sort out but am Lovin it…

Merlin malt2 with solo air silver forks and slx gears + brakes

daver89
    Free Member

Nice! Ive been riding a Malt 2 for about 8 years!

This is my first proper build finished this week though, super fun!

kimbers

2005 lava dome with floats reduced to 105mm and 1×10 , bought frame for commuting duties but ended up riding it a fair bit off road to save the full susser during our grim winter its been so much fun
    did 70k at the rough ride this weekend….

_tom_
    Free Member

Progress has been made, received my wheels today. Superstar gunmetal hubs look awesome!

Now I just need some red pedals, better tyres and to sort my brakes out 🙂

mangatank
    Free Member

Posted this on a Ti thread a couple of days ago, but it’s the latest build for this Ti 456 Evo frame. Massive fun.

roverpig

Here is my FF29, which I built up recently so that I could explore the pros and cons of hardtails and 29ers. The jury is still out on both to be honest, but for rides that aren’t too technical or include a fair amount of road (or smooth fire road) along with the singletrack it seems ideal.

mangatank
    Free Member

… for rides that aren’t too technical or include a fair amount of road (or smooth fire road) along with the singletrack it seems ideal.

Ooh….controversial!

roverpig

Yes, I guess I should have said “in my experience” and YMMV etc. It’s all just opinions at the end of the day and all bikes are a compromise. But when things get steep or if I know I’m going to be on rough trails for most of the ride then I’d rather be on the full suss.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep I still prefer full sus now I’ve been riding one for a while. Just prefer the more balanced feeling of having travel at both ends. But it’s nice to jump on a hardtail and have a really responsive and fast feeling ride 🙂

roverpig

Yes, there is no such thing as the perfect bike. They are always a compromise. I love climbing on the FF29. The stiff rear end makes for a fantastically efficient power transfer. The big wheels just roll over rocks, roots etc and stay firmly planted on the ground no matter how steep things get. But point it down a steep technical descent and all those positives become negatives. That stiff rear end means that even standing up you are having to work a lot harder to absorb bumps through your knees and the reluctance of the wheels to leave the ground makes it harder to chuck about.

kudos100
    Free Member

[/url] IMG_0221 by kudos100, on Flickr[/img]

Ns surge I have just built up. Eventually it will have a longer fork and 9 speed rather than 8 speed 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice Surge, I always wanted one but never got round to buying one when they were cheap on CRC 🙁

tor5
    Free Member

Chumba HX1 first proper ride Tuesday night – very stiff and responsive compared to my old Rockhopper. Looks lovely too, IMHO

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail build in progress.. post yours!’ is closed to new replies.