Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • New hardtail advice- a good allrounder?
  • nuck19
    Free Member

Feel like I’ve been going round in circles looking for a bike and realise there is a huge shortage. Have ordered a more XC style bike- Spesh chisel and think that will work for my riding style but others have said better to get more allrounder so better on downhills with a bit more travel than 100mm. Do any in between XC and aggressive downhill hardtail spring to mind? I have about £1500. Cheers.

NormalMan

Merida big trail 600 looks good for that sort of money but I’d say fairly different to the Chisel so I guess it depends on what / where you ride.

samuelr
    Free Member

I have purchased a merida big trail 600 for the girlfriend. Looks a decent frame with a good reliable spec.
    She will be using it for a work commute and for trips away and local. Basically for everything.
    I have just put my name down for a pipedream sirius s5 to do the same job.

olly2097
    Free Member

Big trail but I own one so I’m biased.

Sandwich

Just collected my new Big Trail 600 and rode it last weekend. Seems very competent but it is 18 months or more since I did any off-road riding. The purple is rather good looking.

nuck19
    Free Member

Lots of shouts for the Merida then. Like the look of the fork.

ali69er
    Free Member

I’ve got a Banshee Paradox on order, a bit more money but with an adjustable fork it’s good on the flat and hopefully the downs too.

freddiest

Sonder signal st.

bentudder

Specialized do a trail hardtail (Basically not as racy as the Chisel) called the Fuse. I bought a frame second hand last year, and have been very impressed so far. It replaced a Trek Stache frame. I reckon anything of that ilk might fit your brief. The Merida Big Trail looks spot on.
    Off the top of my head, the new Pipedream Sirius would also do the trick – basically, the world’s your oyster for trail (as opposed to XC race or note gnarcore) hardtails.

BillOddie

That Merida looks a like a cheaper, lighter and more modern version of my Chromag Rootdown.

Spec looks good and well thought out.

Geo looks good without being too “out there”.

I’d defo buy the Merida over the Specialized for what the OP wants it for.

If the OP wants a Specialized as an all rounder the Fuse would be a better choice.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/stories/fuse

nickc

On One Scandal

scuttler

Get some Ti if you can wait for a drop.

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-signal-ti-sx-eagle

devash
    Free Member

Giant Fathom 2 if you can find one;

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-2-2021

EDIT – sorry, it was the 29er I was thinking of – https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-29-2-2021

ianpv
    Free Member

Big trail looks good if you want 140mm travel. I’ve got a scandal which has very similar geo with a 120mm fork if you didn’t want to go that far. Personally 140 is as much travel as I’d ever want on a HT – I haven’t had a fork that long on a HT since I had 26” wheels.

bentudder

130 with current geom trends feels good to me – I still have half a chance of climbing with that much fork, but I’ve been saying the same thing about XC suspension since I got some RS Quadra 21s…

nuck19
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen the Fuse and like the look of the Merida. For more context, I bought a Canyon Stoic 2 at the start of the year and sold it as it was too draggy and didn’t like the fit. Wanted more pace on roads, fire roads and gravel paths. Felt like treading water.

nuck19
    Free Member

Not sure if the fathom 2 has had the best reviews over last couple of years. With the Merida, not sure I need 140mm as that’s what the stoic had, albeit with a slightly dodgy fork. Suntour xcr.

kerley
    Free Member

Wanted more pace on roads, fire roads and gravel paths.

Have you thought about something XC oriented like a Specialized Chisel ? 🙂

hatter

New Saracen Zenith looks good if you like your bikes looooooong.

Very much a ‘trail’ not an XC bike though.

bentudder

Other thing to mind is that bikes are rocking horse poo at the mo – my neighbour tried my Fuse and ended up getting one himself, but he had to call round what sounds like most of the country’s Specialized dealers to find one. Swapping over parts from another frame may be a practical option as completes seem to be selling out quickly – but worth sense checking that with your local shop(s) as I’m not exactly the most informed person on these things – just based on what I hear from local shops here and friends trying to find bikes.
    As above, a LLS special may not be great on the sort of riding you sound like you do. In particular, I find the steep seat tube angles on hardtails these days to be a bit weird ergonomically for an all-day ride – they feel more geared to a couple of hours at a bike park. But I’ve put comparatively few hours in on those designs.

nuck19
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve managed to find an XL chisel that I can test ride. Worried it may be too big. I’m 185cm with 33 inseam.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Vitus look like they should be dropping new stock of the Sentier this month.

2021 VITUS BIKES STOCK AVAILABILITY

VRS is well specced at £1500

joebristol

Hang on – you had a stoic and decided it was too slow. You could have changed for lighter trail tyres and potentially sped it right up. If you sold it and your focus is very much more on cycle paths and gravel fireroads then stick with something like the chisel. If you end up with a 130-140mm trail bike with sticky tyres again it’s going to be a similar position to the stoic.

nuck19
    Free Member

Hi @bristoljoe there is that danger yes. I didn’t know if there was something in between. Annoys me that you can’t test ride things.

nuck19
    Free Member

Sorry I mean @joebristol. Also I found the stoic’s fork was rubbish and the sizing felt odd. Better to sell it as there was interest and got my money back.

joebristol

Which chisel model is it you’ve ordered? The XCR34 isn’t that bad a budget fork – especially given the quality of the stoic frame / the relatively premium tyres they managed to spec at the price.

joebristol

Just had a look – the £1400 chisel comes with a RS Judy silver with turnkey damping. I think that has 30mm stanchions and the damper is very budget.
    For that price I’d want at least Recons with 32mm stanchions and a motion control damper. Deore 12 speed is probably par for the money but it also has cheap hubs and no name rims. The geometry might be more what you’re after though – not a huge reach, 68 degree head angle, slack ish seat angle etc.

Maybe something the like On-One Scandel might be good middle ground. 120mm fork, fairly light alloy frame etc. Maybe too close to the Stoic though I guess.

funkmasterp

I know it’s Planet X so hated by some, but I’d be looking at the new version Titus Fireline for an all rounder

nuck19
    Free Member

Well all I can say is that I have ridden the Suntour xcr several times and it’s not good at all. And I’ve tested the Judy gold on a spesh epic and it’s like night and day.

nuck19
    Free Member

That’s why is was drawn to the chisel. I’ve gone for the comp version which is the gold Judy. So hard to know as someone coming back into things after 15 years out of the mtb game.

nuck19
    Free Member

Why is Planet X hated by some?

joebristol

Hang on – so your budget is now £1700? Previously it was sub £1000.

nuck19
    Free Member

Yes I won the lottery. And realised I needed to spend a bit more to get something that was fun to ride.

funkmasterp

Why is Planet X hated by some?

Customer service woes, warranty issues and frames with questionable QC seem to be the issues that some folk have had over the years. Never had a problem with them myself though.

nuck19
    Free Member

Yes I’ve heard some good things about them too.

NormalMan

I was one who recommended the Merida but going by the riding you describe, the Chisel sounds ideal.

You know where and what you ride. Forget what people tell you should ride and get the bike that suits the riding you do.

joebristol

For £1700 I’d think you could find a hardtail similar to the chisel but with a better fork. I’d look for something with a recon or if you’re lucky a reba. Stick to 100-120mm travel – anything more and you’ll find it’s too trail for what it sounds like you’re after.

nuck19
    Free Member

Trust me I’ve been looking. If you can find one, let me know. There also the big issue of availability.

nuck19
    Free Member

Closest I can get is

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Procaliber-96-Mountain-Bike-2021/QSE8

But it’s over 2k.

Judy Gold is motion control and seemed good when I tried it. But I’m no expert.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail advice- a good allrounder?’ is closed to new replies.