Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New handlebar required
  • Premier Icon andybrad

I’m building up andi’s old production privee frame for the Mrs and think this is an ideal opportunity to get myself new bars for my stumpy. I’m fancying some of those nukeproof carbon ones but then I’ve had a few snap on friends.

Anything else I should consider. Number one priority is they look good. I dobt like the hope ones. Up to 100 quid I think

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

little over 100 but oneup bars are nice but only in 35mm. Other than that the nukeproof horizon bars are nice as well.

Premier Icon donslow
    Free Member

Renthal fatbar!

Bosh! Job done!

Premier Icon andybrad

Both good shouts and I’d grab the one up but want 38.1

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Spank Oozy Vibrocore job. I always change the bars to these.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

I bought a new stem cause I wanted the one up. got a nukeproof on the other bikes. one 35mm the other 31.8.

Premier Icon DezB

I’ve had a few snap on friends

That’s mad! Of all the people I’ve been riding with over the years, I don’t think anyone ever had the same bars as each other, let alone have them snap. Something suspiciously freaky going on in your friend circles I reckon.

ps. I’m getting Raceface Turbine Rs for my bike. I’ve never seen them snap. Well, I’ve never seen anyone with them, so they may well be snapping all over the place. Makes you think.

Premier Icon zerocool

Fatbar, aluminium, 31.8. (Do they do it in black now or just the weird good colour? They’re a lovely bar with a great feel. If you want a narrower one go Fatbar Lite

Premier Icon unsponsored
    Free Member

They did a stealth version of the Fatbar a while back with zero gold parts just black decals on the carbon bar. There may be some old stock kicking around.

Premier Icon nedrapier

Both good shouts and I’d grab the one up but want 38.1

Give it a year…

Premier Icon tomhoward

There may be some old stock kicking around.

IIRC they were a limited run that made the sales figures of hot cakes look positively lack lustre.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

I’ve had a few snap on friends.

Anything else I should consider. Number one priority is they look good

Maybe, “not snapping” would be a better number one priority. I know everyone’s different, but that’s the thing I put at the top of my list.

Premier Icon kayak23

I’m building up andi’s old production privee frame for the Mrs

Gutted I missed that bargain of the century! 😭
    I don’t think she’ll like it. Probably best I take it for you… 😉

Premier Icon jkomo

Yeah couldn’t believe that frame deal you lucky so and so.
    I was looking at the vibrocore, sounds like they work.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Brand X carbon risers – £100

I bought a pair of 800 to replace some 780 On One carbon’s last year for my FS. Really like them, comfy & stiff. So bought another pair for my HT.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Anything that looks nice made of alloy.

A mate of mine had a scary, high speed tumble in the Peak a few weeks ago. The end of his carbon bar came off while going fast on a lumpy bridleway.

Premier Icon bruneep

31.8 die hard here, until I was convinced to to try oneup 35mm. So much better.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab has been running Use Carbon bars he won. He’s crashed more than a few times and ridden two seasons out in the Alps on them and they are just fine.

I’m intrigued what your friends are doing to break bars…?
    I’m also intrigued why looking good comes before ‘not breaking’…
    Each to thier own!

Premier Icon DezB

they did a stealth version of the Fatbar a while back with zero gold parts just black decals on the carbon bar.

I just sold a set (they were cut down to 710mm unfortunately). Graphics looked superb though.
    .https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/advert/renthal-fatbar-carbon-35-black-black-710mm/.

Premier Icon davros

These look decent for £80 inc stem

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/spank-oozy-35-bar-with-split-35-stem/rp-prod202939

Or these 31.8 which I have. Very light for alu at 234g and minimal graphics

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ultimate-use-nail-aluminium-bars/rp-prod166471

Premier Icon BillOddie

Chromag OSX!

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Eldest_oab has been running Use Carbon bars he won. He’s crashed more than a few times and ridden two seasons out in the Alps on them and they are just fine.

The problem with carbon bars is that they can store damage and look perfectly fine. You can’t really dent them or bend them so they look perfect until you do something that sends them over the edge. Then you have a horrendous crash when you’re just riding along and drop off a kerb or something.

I’ve got perfectly good carbon Joystick bars which have been all over the Alps and crashed on a weekly basis. They look mint but I’ve retired them as I’d like to keep my face in one piece. That last huge smash that I witnessed was the last straw. Back on alloy Fatbars now.

I’ve never seen a handlebar snap in my entire life until carbon became popular. Now I’ve seen loads of them both survive huge crashes and explode in dramatic fashion in unspectacular incidents. It’s exactly the same with cranks. I’ve never seen a crank arm snap in half until I saw Sram cranks being ripped off by pedal strikes and similar.

Premier Icon tomhoward

I’m intrigued what your friends are doing to break bars…?

Over torquing the bolts that clamp stuff to them would be my bet.

Premier Icon andybrad

They have all failed on the taper bar one that was obviously over tightened brake leaver.
    They were all jra or small jumps.

I however an an absolute mincer on a bike and they are more likely to get damaged coming out of the car. However the one up plus a new stem gets quite cost prohibitive

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.