Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New groups. Gx eagle for £250 or…
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I’ve smashed my gx mech this weekend. My cassette is worn and the chain is stretched.

I’ve been eying up the 50 tooth cassettes of eagle lately and bike discount is selling an upgrade kit for £250 ( shifter, mech, chain and cassette).

I’m happy with my current xt cranks, can I run the spam 12 chain on 11 speed xt chain ring?

Anything else to consider?

Cheers

Martin

chakaping
    Free Member

I was tempted by it for my new build, but in the end the tales of finnicky set-up and exploding, dangly rear mechs put me off.

Still wanted a lower gear though, so got a RF cinch chainset and 28t ring to go with my 10-42t 11sp cassette (on 29in) – it’s working out really well for me.

beer247
    Free Member

XD driver for the rear hub?

You’ll need one for an Eagle cassette (unless you go NX Eagle)

boxxer7
    Free Member

Bought the kit from bike discount, mech lasted 3 rides and gave up, doesn’t appear to have been hit but it won’t shift all gears correctly. Bought an XO1 mech which has been absolutely fine since. Gx eagle mechs seem to be fragile.

Other than that it’s been spot on. Just a new rear mech nearly doubled the cost for me.

tall_martin

Mmmm,

Boxxer7- thats almost enough to put me off!

I have a xd and shimano free hub. I thought I could run the sunrace 11-50 on my gx mech. The reports are mixed so I’ve given it a miss.

I like the shimano crank I have, but it won’t go lower than a 30 tooth ring. I found this out after buying, fitting and riding them for a while.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a SLX chainset w/30t and 11-46t Sunrace on my other bike. That’s totally fine too.

Just 30t ring with 10-42t sprockets was a bit hard work in the hills on 29in.

tall_martin

Xt shifter, mech and chain plus the sun race 11-50 comes in at £170 at crc.

Might go for that instead

liamvc96
    Free Member

I’m running a slx mech and a 11-50 sunrace cassette shifting is fine and no problems after two months

It’s good to know that it’s only 40 quid to replace as well

tall_martin

Thanks for that!

I’ve gone for xtr shifters, xt mech and sun race cassette.

Still cheaper than gx 12 speed and all my bikes are on shimano again, not that it makes a huge difference!

Poopscoop

Is there only one length for the xt mech? I can’t remember.

If there are 2, you need the shorter one.

I run GX Eagle on one bike and an XT/ Sunrace 50 on the lads bike….. I found the hybrid setup much, much more fiddly to get right than Eagle…

tall_martin

I’ve gone for the medium xt, instead of long c<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>age.</span>

Ah well. I’ll just have to hope it works on my bike now. I guess it’s like cars. Lots of them work fine, no one talks about them. I’ll have to hope for a silent army of sunrace/ xt users happily twiddling their gears off into the sunset 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New groups. Gx eagle for £250 or…’ is closed to new replies.