• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • new glasses lenses dont fit! Can i storm in and shout at them?
  • sslowpace
    Free Member

Being a cheapskate, I usually keep my glasses frames for about 4 years, so two sets of lenses over the same period.

Just got my second set of lenses yesterday and the fitting is really poor with a noticible gap between the lens and frame in places.

Can i take them back and insist on new lenses and correct fitting?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Err, of course you can.

BigJohn

Probably better if you didn't start by shouting though.

nbt

As suggested, it would probably go a lot better with a friendly approach, but yes your lenses should fit

badnewz
    Free Member

Yes, of course, under sale of goods act.
    Why do you have to change the lenses every two years though?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but make sure you go in to the wrong shop and shout at them when they correct you just point at them and say see how bad they are trip over something as you walk out swearing :roll:..Always best to get your own way by shouting and swearing at people being reasonable, calm and expressing your problem to the sales assistant nicelt NEVER works. Take bombers to show how serious you are

Have you thought about just mentioining it to them and giving them the chance to correct this? Of course you can insist thelenses work and fit the glasses.

sslowpace
    Free Member

I was unsure due to the fitting. What i consider a poor fit, they might think was acceptable. Which it's not.

Wouldn't have been shouty anyway, just a firm 'please fix asap, thank you'

Badnewz, eye test (every 2 years) confirmed my prescription had changed.

I will also prepare my best Norman Wisdom 'Mr Grimsdale, Mr Grimsdale…' for best comic effect 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why do you have to change the lenses every two years though?

Eyesight can deteriorate quickly sometimes. I went through a period of needing mine doing quite regularly.

Or he is lazy and cleans them with shirt sleeves etc and they get badly scratched very quickly (I find marked lenses REALLY annoy me).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At the end of the day, if the old lenses fitted correctly, the new ones should too.

sslowpace
    Free Member

M-F, as I wear them all the time I really look after them. The opticians even commented they still looked new. Oh, and have never used shirts or paper towels.

ski
    Free Member

If there are gaps between the lens and frame, I would have thought this would put uneven pressure on the frame as well as the lens, which cannot be good news.

I had my eye test this week and, needed a change in lenses for my glasses, they wanted to charge me £205 for two lenses plus an additional charge of £45 for fitting them to an existing pair of frames, is this extra charge normal if you have the frames already?

Not that I am going to use them, £205 for lenses is taking the juice a bit for a basic prescription/optic.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M-F, as I wear them all the time I really look after them. The opticians even commented they still looked new. Oh, and have never used shirts or paper towels.

Fair enough – it was just a suggestion as to why they might need changing. I, too, am anal about only using micro-fibre cloths and have a stash of them all over the place.

sslowpace
    Free Member

ski, i know what you mean about pricing. Mine were £190, but that included eye test, transition lenses, anti scratch and non reflective coatings.

aP
    Free Member

£200 for lenses! I wish.

sslowpace
    Free Member

ap, less than a tenner a month for the 2 years so not too bad.

UPdate: Quietly and politely went to see them. Have left my specs to 'see what they can do' but their very busy so possibly ready saturday 😕

The girl that served me was quite unsure of what to do, but most annoying was the woman that served me yesterday completely blanked me, despite standing next to the assistant. I'll see how this goes, but I'll hold out for new lenses if their not put right.

Crap ownership of poor service is ruddy annoying 👿

Anyway, off to grease my pivot bearings in the sun 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyway, off to grease my pivot bearings in the sun

I hope that is not a metaphor…

sslowpace
    Free Member

😀

nicko74

Not quite sure why everyone got so irate about 'can I shout at them' – I thought it was hilarious! Always go in for a bit of shouting, being completely and ridiculously unreasonable, it's good for comedy value!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

This couldn't be Speccysavers could it?

Had loads of grief with them recently over couple of pairs of Varifocals. One pair had what looked like specks of dust trapped beteen the coating and lens. The others were made to the wrong prescription and my vision was worse than wearing no specs

Got my cash back after a lot of agro and bullshit from the sales assistants
    I am very lucky that my daughter is doing an optometry degree and what she didn't know found out at uni for me

Ended up with a pair of single vision specs that work paid for with a voucher, will have to do for now.

aP
    Free Member

Well, you know next time not to go back. My optician owns his business, has 2 shops and I get great service from them. I'm currently waiting for a selection of frames to be delivered so's I can choose the right colour for my first pair of reading glasses, as my lenses are 1.74i bi-aspheric plastic [sigh]. I won't be looking for much change out £600 for these [sighs again]

ski
    Free Member

Came back from Hong Kong recently where my Wife had a pair made up for her, could not belive how reasonable they were over there!

aP, you might even get some change out of a return flight there including having your glasses made up 😉

I gave up with the High street this time and all their "buy one get a naff pair free" deals, went for an online supplier this time & will see (no pun intended) how it goes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘new glasses lenses dont fit! Can i storm in and shout at them?’ is closed to new replies.