Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New Garage floor
  • thered

And I don’t want concrete paint, needs to be cheap, easy to clean and immune to oil spills.
    What are my options?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What, as in you don’t want to paint it?

Drac
    simon_g

Tile. Quite labour-intensive though.

edit: eg. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Urban-Grey-Ceramic-Floor-Tile-330-x-330mm/p/166276 – £9/sqm. Typical single garage is about 18sqm = £162 in tiles. Add adhesive, grout, etc and you’ll probably still have change from £250.

escrs
    Free Member

My double garage has lino on the floor

Been there for 5+ years with no signs of lifting splitting etc. oil just wipes off, easy to clean with normal floor cleaner and a mop

No idea if its a special kind of lino or how its stuck to the floor though (was there when i moved in)

sharkbait
    Free Member

No need to stick lino down in a garage….it will sit there quite happily if you just until it (unless you’re talking about tiles).

thered

Thid is what it looks like currently, half the existing concrete paint has lifted as you can see.

20190623_202241

It’s uneven, looks terrible, is dusty, I’m constantly sweeping up flakes of concrete paint and is generally not a nice place to work.

I don’t want to get all that concrete paint up and am thinking of fitting the BandQ autopro floor tiles after doing whatever work I can to level it.

Can I get the floor level without taking up the remaining concrete paint?
    Should I simply re-concrete paint it?
    Are there any better options given the situation?

sarawak
    Free Member

It’s a garage, not an operating theatre.

nickdavies

Mines going to get cheap click vinyl floor tiles. Put them in the kitchen and they were great, easy to lay but garage would be about £400 and I want a cheaper option.

No it’s not a theatre, but I spend more time in there than any other room I the house bar the bedroom and I want it to be a nice place to be. Just gotta plasterboard the ceiling and paint the walls first.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The floor was probably never primed. If you prime it it won’t flake.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve been without a kitchen floor for 4 months now – well, the existing tiles have gone and we just have a concrete slab until the new tiles go down.
    During this time we’ve just had the clip together foam tiles you can get off eBay for not much money. Frankly they’re brilliant – warm, comfy, simple to fit, easy to clean,look decent, cheap and less chance of breaking something if you drop it!

If you spend a lot of time working in there then I’d say they’re fairly perfect.
    I’d give them serious consideration.

thered

@sarawak
    What a particularly unhelpful comment, you’re one of those little keyboard warriors aren’t you. Don’t you have anything better to do than waste your time reading threads and posting useless comment? Were you bullied at school or something?

fossy

I’m probably the only one who has left his garage floor the same as the day it was built. You do get a bit of dust, but with grass cuttings, mud off the bikes, leaves etc getting deposited I either get the brush out, or blast it for 10 seconds with the leaf blower (once a month maybe). It’s a bike workshop/DIY workshop, so stuff goes everywhere, including sawdust (even when cutting on the drive).

Mine’s fine apart from some paint blobs ! But for the OP, you will want to do something to tidy it up, especially if the old paint is lifting.

thered

Anyhoo.
    Would I need to get the existing concrete paint up before re-priming and re-painting?
    Could I throw down the click vinyl floor tiles as it is without levelling it? Link btw?
    Am I right in assuming I can with the foam floor tiles?
    If it has to be levelled, can it be done without taking up all the existing paint?

sarawak
    Free Member

@thered

What a particularly unhelpful comment, you’re one of those little keyboard warriors aren’t you. Don’t you have anything better to do than waste your time reading threads and posting useless comment? Were you bullied at school or something?

Just about sums you up. Generation Z.

thered

It’s been suggested elsewhere that I PVA it with a kind of rough PVA paste to bond the flaking floor paint.
    Then get it level using latex self levelling compound.
    Then throw whatever floor i want (floor tiles) onto it.
    Would that work?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Am I right in assuming I can with the foam floor tiles?

Yep, just put them straight down – as they’re about 12mm thick they absorb any uneven bits.

spooky_b329

I had the foam floor tiles, they are OK but not great if you want to roll anything heavy like a tool chest or sack barrow across it. Its fairly rough so no good putting lino over it or floor paint.

I’d love to tile mine but I wouldn’t want ceramic kitchen style tiles, something a bit more industrial. Something like these which shouldn’t scratch up or chip too easily.

https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/dotti-anti-slip-floor-tiles-grey-floor-tiles/

blokeuptheroad

Put 2 pack epoxy down on mine. Looks good, easy to clean, durable and seems impervious to chemicals and spills.

duncancallum

Lino or laminate

All depends on what you want to do in there

weeksy

An average garage will take about 50 of the 50×50 carpet tiles.. They’ll do a fantastic job with no prep to the floor other than a brushing. Cut to the edges and they won’t move etc. Although i did glue the front row down. £30 for the job and look fantastic.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

@Weeksy Can I ask where you got 50 floor tiles for £30 from? I quite like the idea of using them in my garage.

weeksy

Ebay, Gumtree etc…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New Garage floor’ is closed to new replies.