Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • new front ring needed, how do I tell what I need?
  • DickBarton

So new cassette and chain arrived and about to replace when I noticed the front ring looking a bit worn…so I need a new one.

SRAM chainstay but how I tell if I need an offset ring or not? Also, the single ring looks expensive, other than SRAM what else is worth looking at that will fit the SRAM crankset?

onandon
    Free Member

Check out superstar components

DickBarton

Ta…are they decent? Teeth don’t look very tall…does that not let the chain jump a bit?

joemmo
    Free Member

if its a 1x chainset then you can get steel narrow/wide SRAM rings for direct mount or 94BCD spiders for around £13 – do a perfectly good job and a bit more durable than aluminium.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=sram%20x-sync%20steel%20chainring&ssPageName=GSTL

re: offset, does your frame have a boost sized backend or not? If its boost and the chainset came fitted with the bike then chances are the chainset will say so.

DickBarton

Ta…according to SRAM tech docs, it has a 6mm offset…

EBay link returns 0 items…

joemmo
    Free Member

weird – OK, well search for SRAM X-sync steel chainring and that should do it.

FWIW, I’ve had Superstar rings as well and they are fine but prefer steel for longevity and at that price you can get a couple of sizes if you want to muck about with ratios. The tooth height is less important than the width – it’s the fact that the teeth fill up more of the space inside the links that keeps them the chain from coming off.

DickBarton

Ok, interesting to know, ta.

DickBarton

Right more investigation…it isn’t a direct mount! Has a spider, so can I get a direct mount and replace ring and spider? Sram X1-1400 gxp from 2015.

If not, appears to be a 94bcd.

Sorry for the thick questions, but thanks for pointers.

joemmo
    Free Member

The spider should be removable if you want direct mount, if you take the crank off there should be 3 bolts holding the spider on. Just undo then and pull it off, DM rings will slide on in place.

DickBarton

Nice, thanks for the info…at present, my wallet is talking to me so I’ll just replace the ring and get a direct mount next time round as the replacement ring is cheaper than a DM ring.

Actually, just checking this now – I don’t have boost, so I’m assuming if I did go Direct Mount it would be 6mm offset, yes?

I should probably not post up questions whilst on holiday in a hotel unable to check anything myself on my actual bike!

solarider
    Free Member

As luck would have it, you need this (sorry for the shameless plug):

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/for-sale-sram-eagle-32-direct-mount-x-sync-chainring-bnib-20-posted/

An an absolute bargain and brand new. I removed it from a chainset that came with a groupset because I needed the Boost version. The correct spacing for your set up (6mm non Boost). Works with 10, 11 and 12 speed. Comes with the bolts you need to go direct mount. Would convert your chainset to direct mount at a snip of a price.

According to the SRAM website it is as simple as removing the spider and replacing it. This was in the links from your chainset on their website:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/gSXK71UmknEG3XCPBfZ3yIVqH02QEbFWdG8q7BHXPQI/mtime:1464099957/sites/default/files/techdocs/sram_direct_mount_xsync_compatibility_v02.pdf

I am in Canada on business until early Saturday morning, but drop me an email and I can get it posted as soon as I get back. 7solarider7’at’gmail’dot’com.

solarider
    Free Member

Just found this, so assuming yours looks like this on the back, you’ll be all good.

https://goo.gl/images/yDZUe8

DickBarton

Nice, I’ll check the chainset tonight, if it is the same then I’ll be in touch to buy, thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘new front ring needed, how do I tell what I need?’ is closed to new replies.