• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Frame ~ Yeti ASR5-C
  • P20

My Yeti 575 died whilst on holiday, on the 2nd day of our 2wk holiday to be precise… So after a slightly mad run around the nearest bike shops, I now have a Yeti ASR5c. 😀 all of the kit is off the old 575 and slightly muddy from riding around Gisburn the previous day. It was assembled on the campsite so grass, etc is not my problem!

Yeti ASR5-C by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Spec:
    Yeti ASR5c medium
    Fox Vanilla RLC 140
    XTR 9spd
    Chris Kings on Stans 355 running tubeless Nobby Nics
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    Temporary half king, half hope headset (shop didn’t have a full king so used my existing top cup)
    Race face dues cranks on king bb
    Hope tech m4

It’s been brilliant! Initial impression was I’m riding my old frame, size and shape were identical. The difference has been the stiffness of the frame and the reduced weight. Both of which mean it climbs better than the old 575. The stiffness is certainly noticeable during cornering, turning in much better. Downhill it doesn’t feel as if it’s missing out on the old 575.

It will at some point be changed to the through axle and the headset will be changed to a complete King, otherwise it’s not going to change much.

watsontony
    Free Member

did it really die or did you just want new?

watsontony
    Free Member

any pics of the dead frame?

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t mess about do you?

P20

It died. It’s become unbonded at the drive side pivot. I may fix it and sell it very cheaply with a big disclaimer on it.
    I had looked at various frames but decided to wait until after our wedding next year. I would have bought the alloy version, but they only had the carbon in stock, so went for it!
    No actual photos of brokenness but a work in progress

Work in progress by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

dgb1
    Free Member

You don’t mess about do you?

+1

Sweet bike!
    It’s taken me >6mths to make a decision on a new build to replace my HT, coincidentally an ASR5c frame. I should be taking delivery of the frame sometime next week; I can’t wait!

watsontony
    Free Member

how much i may be intrested always likes those frames

P20

how much i may be intrested always likes those frames

As it stands, ie bust but with working RP23 shock and I’ll include the bearing puller and possibly a spare dropout. How does £120 posted sound?
    Please note the swingarm has previously been repaired in a separate location, see my thread history.

andyl
    Free Member

if watsontony doesn’t take it give me a shout. I’d probably need a small though.

Kryton57

P20 – Member
    It died. It’s become unbonded at the drive side pivot.

Appreciate you needed a bike there and then, but isn’t that a warranty repair, or a least something thats’d get a recognized discount on a new swingarm / frame?

I am naturally indecisive so the thought of laying out the best part of 2k there an then in an instant makes me shudder. Mind you, its a great frame (alu ASR5 owner).

P20

Andy it’s a medium.
    Kryton, the frame was 5months out of warranty when it cracked and I was quoted £400 plus vat for a new one 😯 So I had it repaired and it’s been fine….until it went in a different place!
    It was and wasn’t a rushed decision if that makes sense. I’d looked at frames for some time but decided to wait. So I knew what I was looking for. Either an ASR5, Pivot Mach5.7 or Liteville 301. I couldn’t find the other two anywhere so that kind of decided the choice. Then 2 days later I walked into 18bikes and there’s a 301 in my size hanging on the wall…… They had been left the frame by the rep to see what they think. It does look fantastic, but I’m still very happy with my ASR.

ask1974
    Free Member

That’s really very nice, a mate has an alloy one and it’s just lovely. How does it ride compared to the 575?

P20

My biggest complaint of the 575 was the lateral flex, not a huge problem if you were used to it, but it was noticeable when switching from the hardtail. The 5 is a lot stiffer and turns in better. It responds and climbs better due to the lower weight and increased stiffness. The Kashima shock is more supple, but the general set up is definitely firmer, but never harsh, it makes better use of its travel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Frame ~ Yeti ASR5-C’ is closed to new replies.