Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New Forks…..New Hub?
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Currently got some RS recons and am thinking of upgrading. Most forks seem to be 15mm or 20mm axle. Just had a quick look at my existing front hub (see below) and wondered if this hub was upgradable too (could do without the extra expense of new hub or wheel!). Its the original hub on a 2009 Fuel EX7 – ‘Bontrager sealed front hub’…is all it says in trek spec sheet.

What are my options if I decide to get forks with a 15 or 20mm axle and whats the best one to go for….15 or 20mm??

Sorry for dodgy phone pics…….

BFITH
    Free Member

Anybody?

RustyMac

Your best bet will be ask at your local trek dealer and see if you can get new end caps for that hub to convert it to 15 or 20 mm.

If you can see the seal on the bearing that is in the hub at the moment you should be able to get the code for the bearing and from there the spec of it to determine if you will be able to get a bearing with a significantly large ID to accept a larger axle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

Don’t think that hub is going to be upgradeable. Getting a front wheel with Hope ProII hub is a good upgrade as that can be converted to any standard. Hope Hoop front wheels come a little over a £100 and should come with QR and 15mm converters.

For XC/Trail forks most, if not all, are 15mm now.

Which fork depends on whether you’re looking to lose some weight…if this is the case maybe 120mm Rebas. If you’re looking for longer travel, Sektors or Revs are excellent although you might need to bring the travel down from 150mm…reckon dual postion Sektors (120-150) would be fun. I had a 2009 EX8 and put Fox Talas forks on it…on the fly travel adjust between 100, 120 and 140: it worked very well

BFITH
    Free Member

Probably looking at Revs or Sektors, as you suggest…Looks like I might be in the market for a front wheel, then.
    Anything cheaper than the reccomended Hope Hoop that’ll do the job?

RustyMac

I would suggest you are more likely to get a 15mm axle to work with your current hub then a 20mm but ask at your local Trek dealer or try the Trek section of mtbr as it is common for manufacturers to re-brand hubs from the likes of DT Swiss, if that is what has happened in this case you may be able to get adapters to fit.

If you go down the new wheel route, get onto ebay and search for other manufacturers oem wheels that come with the correct adapter this will be your cheapest option. If you go for another sealed bearing hub you should be fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New Forks…..New Hub?’ is closed to new replies.