Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New forks Bos Deville 140 or RS revelation World cups?
  • ruscle
    Free Member

Looking at buying new forks for my Yeti ASR5. Can’t decide between the Bos Devilles 140 or the RS Revelation world cup dual position air. The RS are £70 cheaper and a pound less in weight and have travel adjust, but the Bos Devilles have a 34mm stanchions and a 20mm axle so will be a lot stiffer and should perform better. Any real world experience/views would be a help. They are to replace Fox FIT Kashima Talas 140’s, would I miss the travel adjust which I find I use quite a bit if went with the RS’s?

Onzadog
    Free Member

For me, the chassis stiffness and damping performance of the bos would be hard to resist. However, should they break, you’ll get nothing more than a galic shrug.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Dual Position Air Revs are travel adjust – it’s the Dual Air versions that are fixed travel.

I’ve got 150mm Rev World Cups, the Dual Position Air versions, and have been really happy with them. Super light, very reliable and plenty stiff enough for me too.

ruscle
    Free Member

Cheers for your comments, both of your views are exactly what I have going on in my head!! I was looking at the revelations as they have the travel adjust, if only the Devilles had this option it would be a no brainer

glynP
    Free Member

Why do you need travel adjust? I use the Devilles on my Blur LTC and they are superb, never needed travel adjust on any bike, its probably a very under used function on many forks

nasher
    Free Member

i am not 100% but the older bos 140 travel had the same axle to crown length as the 160 version. also travel adjusr always affects suspension performane….hence why u are selling the fox? solo air revs would be better

ruscle
    Free Member

I understand what you mean by effecting the suspension as they never feel as nice as fixed travel forks. I want to get rid of the Fox Talas as they don’t seem to prop me up enough, and I have to run more air pressure to get the stable feeling. I always use the travel adjust on all climbs as it makes it easier when it gets steep.
    Can anyone tell me the crown to axle measurement on the Bos Devilles 140mm travel forks?

br
    Free Member

Before you spend a load of cash, why not talk to Mojo and see if there is a ‘tune’ for your forks.

And for new forks, take a look at the Magura Thor’s – mine work well.

ruscle
    Free Member

I got a tune done by Mojo earlier this year, it made a little difference just not what I was hoping for.

jedi

i heard that bos may have a new distributer soon

enmac
    Free Member

I have an ASR5 with Revelations. I also have a Santa Cruz Nomad with Deville 160’s. I think the 140 Devilles are just spaced down 160’s though I am not too sure. The Devilles are fantastic forks but I would say a tad too much for the ASR5. The Revelations are already probably more than enough for the ASR5, if you are looking at Devilles you should probably be considering a burlier bike.

ruscle
    Free Member

if you are looking at Devilles you should probably be considering a burlier bike.

True but love the 5! I just like the idea of running a 20mm axle and 34mm stanchions. Bos do ave a new distributer but not sure who. My original thought was revelations but every one I spoke to revad about the Devilles..

messiah
    Free Member

Deville are the same length axle to crown as a Fox 36 fork; which is 10mm longer than a Fox32/RS-Rev… and hence probably a little too long for your Yeti.

Also… if your not finding the Fox 32 flexy and scary then no need to go up to the 34mm of the Deville, and if you use the travel adjust feature of your TALAS forks then your going to want either a new Fox TALAS fork an RS Rev Dual Position.

ruscle
    Free Member

messiah – Member
    Deville are the same length axle to crown as a Fox 36 fork; which is 10mm longer than a Fox32/RS-Rev… and hence probably a little too long for your Yeti.

Also… if your not finding the Fox 32 flexy and scary then no need to go up to the 34mm of the Deville, and if you use the travel adjust feature of your TALAS forks then your going to want either a new Fox TALAS fork an RS Rev Dual Position.

All very true and will save me money as well, plus I wouldn’t probably notice the difference in stiffness. Shame RS no longer do the 20mm axle on the revs.

b45her
    Free Member

just change your talas forks to floats, its just a case of pullng the talas spring out and popping a float spring in. the parts cost around £80 and it takes about half an hour .

batman11
    Free Member

New bos supply is these guys. http://www.madelkcycles.com/
    Another thing to bare in mind with bos forks iis your rear shox might feel very poor in comparision, to be fair you would have to think about either a vipr or cane creak air to match the forks performance. Also if stiffness is a factor why not the fox 34 and drop travel to 140 if possible.

ruscle
    Free Member

Another thing to bare in mind with bos forks iis your rear shox might feel very poor in comparision, to be fair you would have to think about either a vipr or cane creak air to match the forks performance.

I was just wondering if I would need to get the Bos vipr shock to match as well! Not sure if this suspension set up would be over kill on a ASR5 or just the bomb!?

batman11
    Free Member

Not a 100% ! But a buddy of mine runs both on his heckler and they work unbelievable well together definitely would be a bad combo with the original fox rp23 fitted. They both just sit in that mid point of travel all the time that fox seem to just blow through, until it starts to get ruff and ready then the rest of it just comes into play. I’ve watched locally South Downs and in Wales and it just works faultlessly in unison.
    Quit a concern for me as I’m getting my 140 devilles sort out under warranty and there going on to a Santa Cruz TRC with a fox rp23 and it seems they don’t do a matching sized vipR so I guess I’m gonna find out just how un matched it could be in the next month or so, specially as the old knee injury is getting sorted out and am aloud out on short rides now 😀

ruscle
    Free Member

I really do like the idea of this matching Bos suspension, especially as everyone says how well they cope in the mid stroke which is where my top of the line Fox suspension set up suffers no matter what I get done to it. My only concern with Bos is the reliability as it seems a lot of people have to send them back to get fixed all the time, also the height of the Deville fork on my ASR5 frame, but I can always run more sag if required maybe.

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah axel to crown could be an issue. I’m unsure regard the difference in the 160/140 as I’ve not measured them but mine do look shorter than my buddy’s 160. Regards problems I’m pretty sure they will be ok my buddy’s have been great out of the box! And he knows quit a few people who run the forks on there enduro type bike who have had no issues either plus with a year to tap year service intervals its gotta be good. The only major issue I can see is if there is a proble the cost of getting them over to Ireland it cost me nearly £45 with poor insurance to post them I’d hate to have seen the cost if I’d insured them for £900 quid 🙁
    On a plus side after a quick email to madelkcycles they seem keen and when parts are in from France are hoping to have a week turn around on things! Cross fingers they might come up with a collection/ return delivery service like Tftuned do which might work out cheaper.

br
    Free Member

Magura Thor 140’s work well on my HT, very stiff.

geetee1972
    Free Member

From experience of both, definitely the Deviles but be aware that not everyone gets on with them. I think the heavier you are the more likely you will be to love them but it’s by no means certain that if you’re light you won’t.

There is a pair on eBay currently that were also on here recently – BIN is £450 and they look to be in excellent condition. Tapered steerer as well.

mrplow
    Free Member

I don’t completely agree with having to buy BOS rear to match devilles. I have had a bike with a van R coil and currently one with a RP23. I Push tuned both of these with more slow speed and less high speed compression to match the way I personally setup up my deville forks and find the balance spot on. RP23 also has the smallest volume reducer. Thought I would want to coil the new bike but have had zero need as it feels lovely.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden the Bos combo on a Nicolai Helius AM – and I wrote my finding on here at the time.

Bos vs fox fight

Worth revisting that thread every so often… I kind of wished I’d bought the Bos combo at the time but I couldn’t. Maybe next year?

simonm
    Free Member

Quit a concern for me as I’m getting my 140 devilles sort out under warranty and there going on to a Santa Cruz TRC with a fox rp23 and it seems they don’t do a matching sized vipR so I guess I’m gonna

Batman, They do, I have a VIPR on my TRC.

simonm
    Free Member

This thread has almost wanted me to not sell my Devilles now 😉 I’m though in the camp that geetee1972 mentions lighter so didnt get best performance out of them for me.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New forks Bos Deville 140 or RS revelation World cups?’ is closed to new replies.