Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Forest – What to do
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Camping in the new forest, end of next week. Not taking a bike.

What should i do? Active, Seeing, Drinking, Eating, other, any suggestions welcome.

scaredypants

whereabouts ?

… though the answer is “hire/borrow a bike”, obvz

(I haven’t been offroad for a little while and the recent rain may have reawakened some of the bogs)

redstripe
    Free Member

well you just missed the big bike bash there: http://www.pedalplanner.co.uk/big-bike-bash-august-bank-holiday-2015/
    but if you haven’t already booked, Avon Tyrrell is still a good base to camp at and a bit cheaper than the FC main sites. http://www.avontyrrell.org.uk
    Plenty of touristy tat places nearby, plus the nearby beaches and erm Forest of course

ninfan
    Free Member

Drifts are due to take place at Wilverley/Longslade on September 15, Hilltop on September 19 and Backley on September 20.

So I’d be inclined to drive round those places in the car, stereo blaring and beeping your horn 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Lyndhurst and Brokenhurst for a wander. Stare at the Ferraris in the gargae in Lyndhurst which is dead central and seems to be a tourist attraction in its own right.

Lymington and then hop on the ferry and have a few hours in the Isle of Wight. Yarmouth is a nice little place for a bit to eat, a few beers and a wander.

Where are you camping? We stayed at Hurst View just outside Lymington a few weeks back and it was a little weird. Must have been a school holidays thing but we couldn’t quite put our finger on what was odd about it until a fat kit with no top on approached us and told us his parents were selling some puppies from their caravan. We stayed in a Premier Inn the following night!

soobalias
    Free Member

not sure where staying actually,
    the no bike is neither a choice nor avoidable!

Drifts? do you actually mean sideways cars or something else

edit: cheers davey, there are a couple of places to lodge in my head.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Be interested to hear where you’re staying. There are a few big “Camping in the Forest” sites in the New Forest and their sheer size put us off – I think one of them had 800 pitches or something!

scaredypants

Drifts? do you actually mean sideways cars or something else

They round up the livestock for ritualised mass slaughter

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

oh and forgot – some really nice walking to be had along the sea wall which runs from Lymington to this Hurst View campsite and beyond. Stunning views of the Isle of Wight etc.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mind the donkeys that were all over the place a few hours ago.

cinnamon_girl

You need to ask?? Seriously??

Piss off the locals, that’s wot I’d do. Do your worst ie ride your bike, do some wheelies, high five the natives, scare the ponies, chuck McD’s wrappers everywhere as well as tinnies, piss in the street, scream and shout when having a conversation, be a naked bike rider if you want to and they’ll love you for bringing excitement into their life, possibly. Alternatively dress up as a refugee, they’ll love that too.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve seen pigs running through the streets, handy for the barbie eh?

rascal
    Free Member
    29erKeith
    Free Member

Active – Walks just head on out
    Bike hire from Brock’
    Horse riding lots of stables about.
    Kayaking\Canadian canoe on the Beaulieu river
    Or Calshot for water sports or if the weathers awful for rock climbing, dry ski slope and velodrome. Motor Museum, Bucklars hard, Exbury

See – Hurst castle, reptile place outside of Lyndhurst, NF visitors centre in Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst, Burley or Lymington for a general mooch about or Ringwood could do a brewery tour there

Eating – The Oak at bank just outside of Lyndhurst great food and ale my personal favourite. La Pergola, family run Italian in Lyndhurst particularly good home made desserts very reasonably priced, been going for years and it’s not changed, cheesy but food and service is brilliant. For posh nosh The Pig just outside Brock’
    Other good reliable pubs for good food and beer, Trusty Servant in Minstead and the New Forest Inn in Emery Down, and the High corner inn

HTH

29erKeith
    Free Member

Pannage season starts this weekend too, so there’ll be plenty of pigs out and about in the forest too as well as the usual wildlife. The Pigs are only out for a few months a year.

29erKeith
    Free Member

oh the otter and owl place is ok too

TheBrick
    Free Member

calshot center is worth a look if you fancy some indoors outdoors activities.

redstripe
    Free Member

NF marathon on this weekend too, road closures etc, seems more inconvenient to me than any bike rides but it doesn’t seem to attract any moaning by the vocal minority down here for some reason like bike rides do

soobalias
    Free Member

so you drift ponies not cars
    you pan for pigs not gold

if i buy a puppy from the caravan, will it eat my wifes diamond ring before running off?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Forest – What to do’ is closed to new replies.