Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • New Forest scrapping boris bike scheme
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Just read this article:
    http://road.cc/content/news/126566-petition-launched-save-%C2%A336m-new-forest-boris-bike%E2%80%99-scheme-set-be-scrapped-partly
    What a shame, there certainly is a vocal local anti-bike minority with influence, almost all we meet from living/working here are all for it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dear dear me. Can those who support it not make their voices heard ?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

massive twitter campaign instead? it’s 2014 😀

andyl
    Free Member

is driving down there that bad? Seems crazy to have the opportunity to do this an throw it away and not sort out obvious problems that need to be dealt with.

fasthaggis

there certainly is a vocal local anti-bike minority with influence

Very sad if the NIMBYs are to blame for this.

I had some work at Fawley many years ago ,and had a fantastic day on a hire bike going round the New Forest area.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just thought I had better balance this thread out with the thoughts of the ‘proper’ locals

Get Bikes Off Our Roads

This is the campaign manifesto to get cyclists off the roads of the New Forest. There is a long history of nuisence cyclists cluttering our roads causing traffic delays and scaring the horses with their bright lights and riddiculous clothing. It is time that this stupidity was halted and the New Forest returned to the historic situation that allowed people to drive about their business without hinderence.

There has been much hysteria spread by the bike loving hippies but lets look at the facts. When there are cycling events held they cordon of roads, have long convoys of riders that are impossible to overtake without risking your wing mirrors and the pubs fill up with sweaty people. These people are a positive hazzard and there have been a number of accidents caused by cyclists riding under cars or in front of cars trying to pull out of junctions.

I do not want to appear against change and in fact I am positively in favour of it. I understand that in previous generations there was a certain amount of rural poverty and young men and girls were forced to cycle between the villages but we have moved on. Let us embrace that change and realise that it is better to drive to the work or the pub than cycle there and arrive sweaty, smelly with bad hair. This is even more true for the return journey from the pub where the swaying cyclist is likely to injury oithers and themselves while the gentleman in the airconditioned car will remain alkert and safely ensconced in their modern safety cage.

So, if you are a right minded man please join me in this campaign and encourage your woman to do likewise. Ban cyclists from the roads of the forest to prevent traffic delays, scratches to your cars, drunken idiots swaying across the highway and men inappropriately dressed. You know it makes sense.

🙂

jamj1974

^^. 😀

drlex
    Free Member

Excellent, WCA! Just needs a gratuitous & offensive reference to gypsies / üntermenschen etc

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Quick trawl for genuine facts from Hampshire CC 2013 to back up my bigoted stereotyping

Between 2001 and 2011 there has been an decline in the
    percentage of the working age population from 59.2% to
    58.6%. There has been a particularly large decline amongst
    young adults aged 25-39 (from 17.6% to 14.2%)

94.9% of New Forest’s resident population are estimated
    to be of ethnic group ‘White British’

Total Dependency has risen due to the increasing numbers
    of older people, whilst child dependency has declined

There are 2.3 people per hectare living in the New Forest.
    This is below both the South East and England and Wales
    population densities of 4.5 and 3.7 respectively.

Most growth since 2001 has been in the oldest age groups,
    the 65 and over’s increased by 15.3%.

Christianity remains the largest religion in the New Forest
    at 65.2% however it has experienced a large decline
    since 2001. The percentage with no religion has
    increased by 84.3%.

I think that given the age demographics we should be campaigning for less cycle paths and more mobility scooter paths and parking for zimmer frames

mt
    Free Member

so then the relevance of those facts to a bigot is?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

They re-enforce my prejudices.

Clearly we are tight homogenous group who don’t need a bunch of young, long haired bike riding loonies making unnecessary changes to our nicely established way of life.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Altogether now…”for the greater good”!

40mpg

I anticipate we’ll see a lot more of this sort of thing now they’ve appointed the Head Verderer as head of the National Park Committee too.

And yes, it is a VERY small bunch who hold ALL the power in the forest – a very elite club – who generate all this nonsense. They only represent their own interests, which is using the forest as a free farm for their stock, and preserving the place as some kind of 1930’s museum.

And they vote themselves in. Democracy? Bollocks!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just in case anyone thought the views I expressed were real, they weren’t and I have signed the petition

Nick –

Thanks for signing Forest Cyclist’s petition. By adding your name, you became a part of this campaign for change.

martib

Seems to be a common theme amongst a certain group of society, who don’t appear to want to share the trails with others! I have noticed this in my local area. Even had a punishment pass the other day from the My Little Pony Club community who decided that he wouldn’t wait and galloped passed me on a narrow muddy uphill track the other day 😈 Seemed to take offence when I pointed out that his HiViz vest said on the back ‘Please Slow Down’. Showed the GoPro footage to my other half who used to be a Horse Riding Instructor and she said what he did was bloody dangerous. 🙄
    Despite being polite, slowing down, saying thank you to them, they do not want to show others the same courtesy 🙄
    Thought we would have left this petty animosity in the 90’s 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are you local??!

redstripe
    Free Member

^ looks uncannily like some of the NFNPA committee and Verderers court members down here

ninfan
    Free Member

Its been quite hard to segment whether this is only the ‘boris bikes’ scheme or whether the 3.5 million was for some other infrastructure as well. it seems to be just the bike hire scheme.

for what its worth, I think 3.5 million quid is a lot to spunk on a few fancy bikes if they don’t get used – personally I’d rather see the money put into decent (non roadside) picturesque cycle routes that were targeted to make bike use preferable – for example a short cut cycle path from a park and ride location on one side of a tourist town that was quicker and easier to use than taking your car into the centre.

stats say that something like 50% of people have bicycles, they just don’t use them – personally I feel that provision should start by getting the people who already own them to use them more

the problem with the new forest is that there’s nowhere to enjoyably use your bike safely without dickheads on the road trying to run you over, and officious bollocks from the talibaneverything telling you that anyone who dares commit the heinous crime of cycling off road anywhere in the forest will be sacrificed on a local altar for scaring the ponies and killing baby robins in the face.

Just think about the MTB trails that you could build in the new forest with 3 million quid!

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

TBH the actual bike hire scheme looks potentially risky financially given the funding is for infrastructure only (running costs would be another thing) but the reasoning being given that they need to keep bikes off the roads due to local sentiment is ludicrous.

I ride (road and offroad) round there quite a bit and its really not bad at all given the picture the NFNPA paint, offroad is annoying at times due to lack of routes and attitude (I’ve been told off by horseriders on a few occasions despite being on legal routes and at low speed) and onroad you do get the occasional idiot but by and large its no worse than anywhere else, the problem seems to stem from the Verderers and a small group of old horsey types who thought national park status would be yet another tool to keep riff-raff out.

Edit – just to support WCA’s stereotyping, last time I went to a pub in the forest while on a ride (the Red Shoot) a group of trophy wives turned up in 4×4’s and proceeded to loudly slag off cyclists at the table next to ours, clearly for our benefit, it was kind of ironic as the red shoot has always been one of the more cycling/hiking/camping friendly pubs and if anyone was out of place it was the permatanned second wives club,

Lifer
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Its been quite hard to segment whether this is only the ‘boris bikes’ scheme or whether the 3.5 million was for some other infrastructure as well. it seems to be just the bike hire scheme

As it says in the headline, header and article £2m from the £3.5m awarded is for the cycle scheme.

ninfan – Member
    for what its worth, I think 3.5 million quid is a lot to spunk on a few fancy bikes if they don’t get used

‘If’ – would it have got to the point of awarding the money if demand hadn’t been proven? The £2m is for “20 electronically controlled hire stations and 250 bicycles” – again as mentioned in the article.

br
    Free Member

A fresh wave of concern exists about the safety of on-road cycling.

Presumably the concern is linked to the increasing numbers of old (drivers) in the area, from WCA’s numbers.

brassneck

How much impact would this (should it become reality) have on the bike hire businesses in Brockenhurts and the like?

Assuming they haven’t already been burnt to the ground by pitchfork wielding mobs that is.

Quite often skirt the edges of the forest on my road bike rides and am always relieved to head back north.

redstripe
    Free Member

The boris bike scheme was about £2m of the £3.5m DfT grant which NFNPA staff secured. Of the rest, it is being used on sustainable transport infrastructure around the Forest inc. a new hub/shop at Brockenhurst. We have benefitted to the tune of £100K so far from the fund. The staff at the authority are great and want to make a difference but the committee/verderers make life hard sometimes. Some staff have got so fed up with the blocking and impasses they have moved on to other pastures. The fund is time limited and mainly for capital works which makes it hard for some organisations to get things sorted in time with things like planning permission if needed. Luckily we had plans already in place and could act quickly. Also our cycling improvements were all on our own land so no-one could really complain about the impact on ‘sensitive’ areas of the Forest.
    Hopefully the CTC as the national cycling charity can get involved and do something constructive this time.

mintimperial

Wow, the New Forest sounds like a **** horrible place – traffic-heavy roads, uncontrolled herds of free-roaming feral animals, inhabited exclusively by froth-mouthed Daily Mail readers. Sort of like Swindon but with more trees.

ninfan
    Free Member

‘If’ – would it have got to the point of awarding the money if demand hadn’t been proven?

there was a public consultation on the scheme earlier this year, which seemed rather late in the process.

The £2m is for “20 electronically controlled hire stations and 250 bicycles” – again as mentioned in the article.

Yes, I wasn’t very clear – my point is that its not clear whether the cancellation of the bike hire project leads to the forfeiture/return of just the 2 million allocated for that, or the full 3.5 million as has been reported elsewhere, and whether the other planned projects will now go ahead or if they were reliant on the continuance of the bike hire scheme.

The NPA report on the issue doesn’t clarify: http://t.co/FbGjxs6dWX

racefaceec90

I just thought I had better balance this thread out with the thoughts of the ‘proper’ locals

Get Bikes Off Our Roads

This is the campaign manifesto to get cyclists off the roads of the New Forest. There is a long history of nuisence cyclists cluttering our roads causing traffic delays and scaring the horses with their bright lights and riddiculous clothing. It is time that this stupidity was halted and the New Forest returned to the historic situation that allowed people to drive about their business without hinderence.

There has been much hysteria spread by the bike loving hippies but lets look at the facts. When there are cycling events held they cordon of roads, have long convoys of riders that are impossible to overtake without risking your wing mirrors and the pubs fill up with sweaty people. These people are a positive hazzard and there have been a number of accidents caused by cyclists riding under cars or in front of cars trying to pull out of junctions.

I do not want to appear against change and in fact I am positively in favour of it. I understand that in previous generations there was a certain amount of rural poverty and young men and girls were forced to cycle between the villages but we have moved on. Let us embrace that change and realise that it is better to drive to the work or the pub than cycle there and arrive sweaty, smelly with bad hair. This is even more true for the return journey from the pub where the swaying cyclist is likely to injury oithers and themselves while the gentleman in the airconditioned car will remain alkert and safely ensconced in their modern safety cage.

So, if you are a right minded man please join me in this campaign and encourage your woman to do likewise. Ban cyclists from the roads of the forest to prevent traffic delays, scratches to your cars, drunken idiots swaying across the highway and men inappropriately dressed. You know it makes sense.

MEGALOL! 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

mintimperial – Member

Wow, the New Forest sounds like a **** horrible place – traffic-heavy roads, uncontrolled herds of free-roaming feral animals, inhabited exclusively by froth-mouthed Daily Mail readers. Sort of like Swindon but with more trees.
    Far from it. The riding isn’t particularly challenging, but it is very pretty and usually quiet.
    If I do go over there then it tends to be on a weekday out to avoid the weekenders and locals. I tend to ride where I fancy and if theres a path then thats good enough for me.

wwaswas

Meeting on Tuesday – if you read the Standing Orders bit you can ask to speak.

http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20034/meetings/95/authority_and_committee_meetings#.U-ywgKMzN1x

scaredypants

Sort of like Swindon but with more trees

No trails behind the Nationwide though 😥

40mpg

^^ thats the imnpression you get if you believe these self-serving twunts – which only goes to further their cause by putting people off visiting.

I’m a ‘local’ riding 2 or 3 times a week in the forest and on road and have only had a handful of incidents in over 30 years. Look further than the local press (which is in the hands of the anti-bike set) and its actually a great place. The riding can also be great if you now where to look and where to be ‘not obvious’ 😉

40mpg

No trails behind the Nationwide though

Actually there;s a great route starting behind the Nationwide in Totton, up the Test and either across to Lordswood or looping back to the Forest 😀

cheekyboy
    Free Member

In this County [Hantshire] is New-Forest, formerly called Ytene, being about 30 miles in compass; in which said tract William the Conqueror (for the making of the said Forest a harbour for Wild-beasts for his Game) caused 36 Parish Churches, with all the Houses thereto belonging, to be pulled down, and the poor Inhabitants left succourless of house or home. But this wicked act did not long go unpunished, for his Sons felt the smart thereof; Richard being blasted with a pestilent Air; Rufus shot through with an Arrow; and Henry his Grand-child, by Robert his eldest son, as he pursued his Game, was hanged among the boughs, and so dyed. This Forest at present affordeth great variety of Game, where his Majesty oft-times withdraws himself for his divertisement

mintimperial

thats the imnpression you get if you believe these self-serving twunts – which only goes to further their cause by putting people off visiting.

Well quite. I’m sure it’s lovely scenery and all, but I certainly wouldn’t consider riding there, it’s pretty clear that I’d not be welcome. And I have to say that I’m highly unlikely to ever visit the New Forest at all, even without a bike, following all the nimbyist coverage recently. The place sounds thoroughly snotty and unfriendly. After all, there are plenty of other UK national parks to go and spend my money in, most of them without such obviously sociopathic tendencies…

D0NK

And yes, it is a VERY small bunch who hold ALL the power in the forest – a very elite club
    And they vote themselves in.
    Look further than the local press (which is in the hands of the anti-bike set)

hmm it does kinda sound like there’s more than a very small minority. How come the same nobbers keep getting voted back in? Or is this one of those votes where only 12 people can actually participate?

29erKeith
    Free Member

MintImperial – It really is a very small minority. They are unfortunately influential and seem to time on their hands and make an awful lot of noise!

I’m local too and day to day have no bother riding at all, bar the occasional close pass on the road or the very rare opinionated horse rider\walker.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything you or I or the local cycling organisations can do to talk sense to them, meet half or anything. It’s their forest and that’s that, is certainly how it comes across 👿

29erKeith
    Free Member

Donk, yep as 40mpg says, they vote themselves in. A small closed circle.

40MPG I assume the local groups will be in attendance? Or do you think there’s simply no point, decisions have already been made, so best go for a ride instead?

bigyinn
    Free Member

They have their opinions, NOTHING any sane person will be able to say or do to change that, so **** ’em and ride as you normally would. Respectfully and with courtesy.
    Anyone who doesn’t like that can go **** themselves.

lucien

bigyinn – Member
    They have their opinions, NOTHING any sane person will be able to say or do to change that, so **** ’em and ride as you normally would. Respectfully and with courtesy.
    Anyone who doesn’t like that can go **** themselves.

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO #

+1, just get my head down and ride on…..I’m not sure there is anything anyone can do (even though I have been photographed and threatened by the Verderers) – not like I have a licence plate or anything!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

And I have to say that I’m highly unlikely to ever visit the New Forest at all, even without a bike, following all the nimbyist coverage recently.

Come down to the Big Bike Bash in the heart of the New Forest and see how lovely it is and how good the riding could be. You will see how friendly (most) the locals are and why it is frustrating to be so restricted by the few.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘New Forest scrapping boris bike scheme’ is closed to new replies.