Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New Forest Campsite- this weekend
  • alwillis

Got a nice gravel route in the New Forest, a fairly new tent and some settled weather this weekend.

Where is open around Lyndhurst/ Brockenhurst for one nights camping? Cheap and cheerful vibe rather than £40/ night concrete caravan site if possible?

alpin
    Free Member

In the middle of winter? Don’t thing many will be open.

There’s the campsite in Ashurst, near the New Forest pub. Food is OK, but the pub itself is nothing special. (my aunt lives about 5 min walk away).

The landlord of the Turfcutters Arms lets you stay the night in your campervan in his back yard. Give them a bell, he’s a good bloke running a decent proper little pub. Was there back in November and stayed with the van out back…. there was a big group of cyclists there one evening.

alwillis

Best option so far is Acres Down Farm, £10/ Night with the option of a farmhouse breakfast.

Agree not many are open year round, but I try and avoid the area March- October!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Avon Tyrrell is where we hold the Big Bike Bash but they do camping all year round at good prices. Just near Burley and Ringwood with lots of onsite stuff you can book and bike trails you can ride on site.

https://www.avontyrrell.org.uk/camping.html

kerley
    Free Member

I have lived in New Forest for 20 years (a mile away from Avon Tyrrell) and I didn’t realise any were open as every site I ride by looks closed in winter but then I guess I have never tried to camp here.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Avon Tyrrell is an amazing place with an appalling ability to promote itself. When it started trying to encourage campers there, other than the youth groups that went there on organised trips, they just put signs up around their own campsite. The only people who could see them were the people who were already there or random people who decided to walk 1/2 a mile down a private drive into a youth activity centre and read the signs stuck to the trees. They they decided that camping might not be a good idea as there was no demand. Crazy. They have got better but it is still cheaper and quieter compared to other campsites in the area

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.