• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by duir.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New enduro bike recommendations
  • graeme87
    Free Member

I’m currently looking into getting a new bike. I have an alpine 160 just now but trying to sell it and fancy a change, the alpine is great but just fancy a change, been riding oranges for years but want to experience something else. So I’m wanting recommendations for an enduro style bike that is reasonably light and around £3000 mark.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what do you call Enduro? Do you find you need all the travel or not? Do you want lighter, bouncier or shorter & snappier?

Straight new bike or transfer bits to a new frame an option?

graeme87
    Free Member

New frame is an option. I wouldn’t go lower than 150mm travel on the front but do fancy something lighter, new frame could be an option as I have a really good build on the alpine but what frame?

willber
    Free Member

What wheel size?

One way or another, the industry is making 27.5 the “go to” enduro bike….

On a side note, I had a brief (pissed up) conversation with a mate a couple of nights ago who works for Silverfish and his opinion on the new wheel sizes was “well if it helps us shift bikes, its a good thing”…..

That said, if I was after a new bike- i’d go 27.5

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in the recommend what you have…. I just built up a Blur LTc with 160 up front. Feels awesome light snappy and quick but plush when it needs to be. I demoed it back to back with a Nomad a year or so back and not long after demoing an Alpine and it was a winner. Felt like more travel.

Current build is 66.bit degree up front and 29lb ish with Lev etc. The bronson will also fit in the same area but would end up being a build with the 650 thing.

After that the RM Altitude was a really well put together 150mm 650 bike with 160 up front. It’s bigger brother the 26″ slayer is fun too.

graeme87
    Free Member

I have 26″ wheels at the moment but it does look like the industry is going to 650b. I would quite fancy a Bronson but they are quite pricey. Don’t know about the canyon or yt bikes, a lot cheaper and cracking build on them but not heard enough about them.?

jairaj

Transition Covert, available as full bike or frame only option.

honourablegeorge

Nicolai Ion 16. It’ll take your Alpine round the back of the bike shed and kick it’s face in

niceandy
    Free Member

I’m in a very similar position so also interested in opinions. I’ve loved the Alpine, but it is a bit hefty and only 27.2 seat tube so limited on dropper post options. I also fancy trying a four bar (horst link) again.

I’ve got stuff to swap over so would prefer a frame only option, but considering a full bike and flogging the bits I don’t need. Currently narrowed it down to:

Lapierre Spicy (hopefully some good deals around soon on 26″ 2013 models)
    Specialized Enduro
    Nicolai Ion 16

I really like the Ion (good angles and get to choose shock), but it is expensive and I don’t think it’s much/any lighter than the Alpine.

stevede
    Free Member

Ti Stanton slackline for the win 🙂 (in true stw recommend what you own stylee)

daveh
    Free Member

Transition Covert, available as full bike or frame only option.

Carbon 😈

marco
    Free Member

Canyon Strive for me
    Just had a week in the Alps – les arcs/tignes and it was awesome
    great price too

graeme87
    Free Member

@marco did you go for the top model with the xx1 group set?

banks
    Free Member

The carbon covert ftw!! Think I’ll be adding an arch stanton slackline to my stable soon

duir
    Free Member

When you say “enduro” do you mean racing enduro or are you using it as the latest trendy word to describe a bike that does everything or as they used to be called a “mountain bike”.

Anyway, if you can be bothered to wait you could order a Nicolai and being a decent company they are offering all wheel sizes so your old bit’s will fit on. I have been severely impressed by the Helius AC which is 160 front/150 rear, is as tough as old boots, reasonably light and rides as well as any 160mm bike I have ridden. They market it as “Enduro” so you can feel right up to date and tell everyone you own an “enduro” bike. I am sure it would be admirable as an enduro racer or a do everything mountain bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New enduro bike recommendations’ is closed to new replies.