• This topic has 198 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)
  • New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there
  • DezB
    Free Member

(Important note: not my bike in picture!)

Case of the bar furniture being worth more than the bike! 🙂

Nah, still can’t be arsed 😉

GrahamS

Nah, still can’t be arsed 😉

It’s a really low arse factor for me. That’s why I like it.

I need to carry my phone anyway and having it on the bars is useful for screening texts/calls and for playing music. Plus it means the missus can accurately track my location.

So the only additional faff is remembering to start and stop Endo. That’s not really a biggy – though I really must get round to putting some touch-screen tips on the ends of my gloves!

Upload is automatic and so is workout naming (as I am following a route). I quite like having the Voice Coach shout out how I’m getting on against my PB – keeps me motivated, even if I’m not out to beat it every day.

will
    Free Member

How are people coping with the floods then? No floods down here, but lots of standing water around, and this morning’s commute was in very heavy rain. Got to say I really enjoyed it 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

first day back in the office today for me.

Wasnt as cold as i anticipated. was a touch hot in stealth lights and my pogies.

Getting my winter marathons bedded in – they work well on wet leaves too 😀

will
    Free Member

Agree about the “warmer than it looks” statement. I was overdressed and quite thankful for the rain.

GrahamS

How are people coping with the floods then?

Yesterday was fairly bad here. One part of the path was full-flowing river for about 500m, as deep as the bottom bracket in places and far too long to cruise through – so it was foot-fully-underwater pedalling. Lovely.

Took a different route this morning and had less issues, though I couldn’t use the underpass because it looked to be a couple of foot deep down there!

Also wore waterproof trousers, special-kid anorak and sealskinz for the first time today after my gear all got soaked yesterday.

Stayed dry but ended up soaking with sweat!

will
    Free Member

Sounds quite epic. Think it’s strange that I wish I had to cycle through flooded roads.

GrahamS

If it helps you live the dream I’ll mail you my toes when I finally lose them to Trench Foot 😉

will
    Free Member

😆

disco_stu
    Free Member

Todays commute was a bit on the chilly side, time to get the Aldi winter gloves out!

woody2000

Indeed. Plenty of ice around on some of the back roads this morning 😕

will
    Free Member

It was cold, but not “that” bad. Looking forward to frost and proper winter!

GrahamS

Bit of snow this morning, still lots of bikes out though:

will
    Free Member

Just wet and mild this morning. Quite glad as I came a cropper on the ice yesterday! As it seems a lot of other people did.

will
    Free Member

Snow in London. Well I say snow… It was falling and settling around 7ish, but by the time I left teh house at 7:30 it was just wetness.

NE looks like it will get a big dump today.

Ow and Gavin – Please don’t tell me you’re going to do a big bulk upload soon 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

icy in sheffield – lots of cyclists in the office comparing bumps and bruises.

i stayed upright, but did have a few ‘left-hookers’ – maybe i was mincing along just slowly enough to be a target, but quickly enough to get in trouble…

stay safe kids 🙂

woody2000

Icy here in Bradford, particularly on the side roads. Was about 5 minutes slower getting in today, but still better than sitting in the car 🙂

Forecast colder tonight, might try the spikes tomorrow just to see what they’re like.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Icy in manchester too, attempted a left hand corner a bit too fast and am now hobbling about with a very bruised knee…

ton

in all the time i waste on this website, i can honestly say, i have only just noticed this challange.
    can i get my miles backdated from when it started? and do i get brucie bonus point, for doing it with a fecked up ticker……. 8)
    p.s, not missed a days commute since 1st march this year after my last procedure.

GrahamS

can i get my miles backdated from when it started?

Yep. Endomondo does that automatically when you join any challenge. Any “Cycling,Transport” workouts since the challenge started will be counted automatically (it can take an hour or two to update).

do i get brucie bonus point, for doing it with a fecked up ticker…….

Only if I get one for doing it with a big belly.

And Asthma (I’ve got a note from my mum).

GrahamS

Forgive me. I turned back this morning and decided it was a good day to work from home! 😳

The path was sheet ice for as far as I could see. Got a couple of km, with several “moments”, but it would have taken me hours to pick my way through it all and the risk of injury was high.

ahwiles
    Free Member

cold and frosty this morning, but less lethal…

will
    Free Member

Stunning! 😀

Christmas parties are having a massive negative impact on my miles! Think i’ve only done about 70 this week 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

leaving my GPS widget on the ground* at home yesterday morning cost me 23k!

(*seems to pick up the signal faster like that…)

D0NK

Damn my luddite ways, my chance for a shot at mediocrity is dashed by not having a gps, or an endomondo account.
    Darn.

On the plus side my commute envy is waning, graham that looks awful

GrahamS

No smartphone with GPS D0NK?

Aye that path is not great in the ice. I’ve ridden it a few times now and it is almost bad enough for me to consider chancing the dual carriageway instead.

Almost.

Have we done a “what ice tyres?” thread.
    Just been looking at the Schwalbe Winter Marathons on wiggle. Any good?

D0NK

no phone is works, basic job with no data, could buy myself one but meh, guess it’s actually my tight-arsedness that’s holding me back. Just noticed you’re only doing commutes so my mediocrity is even greater (lesser?) than I first thought.

Dunno bout ice tyres, how deep does the ice have to be before they work? Probably great on compacted snow and frozen mud but I can’t see them doing you any favours on frosty roads

GrahamS

Sod it. Ordered them anyway. Can;t be any worse than what I’m using and if nothing else the extra weight will be good training and make up for the fact I’m crawling along.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey, I’ve just accepted this challenge and uploaded my commutes…a mere 5 miles each way and I’m on the front page, are the others southern softies?

GrahamS

😀 2nd page and Northern here.. in fact 18th now, thanks al!

My commute is 11 miles each way, but I can only do it a couple of times a week.

I suspect the Southerners are actually leading as they have it easier

*eyes Will suspiciously*

will
    Free Member

Got to agree there Graham, whilst you’ve been having roads of ice i’ve been having slightly cold mornings. Although Greig is in Wishaw…

will
    Free Member

Get this bumped back up now commuting has started again!

However I am quite sure miles aren’t being added to the challenge. sure i’ve been at that mileage for a few days now…

There is no “last updated” section now either!

woody2000

Who’s braved the snow this morning then? I’ve dug the SnowRat © out of the shed this morning for a test run, shame it was mostly just a slushy mess! Oh well, it’ll have bedded the spikes in I guess 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Dunno bout ice tyres, how deep does the ice have to be before they work? Probably great on compacted snow and frozen mud but I can’t see them doing you any favours on frosty roads “

no – they work best on frosty roads.

they are not that great in snow at all.

Been running mine since the first frosts in november.

Im back on it after a lax december period – didnt really get out on the bike at all to work with all the Xmas partys and the like , i got back from turkmenistan and had to go for a meeting in houston.

got a wee bit of MTB in but didnt include that as its not in the spirit of the rules.

Working my way back up the standings at an alarming rate (28th as of this morning from the bottom last week)

boss just called asking if i made it in , saying he cant make it roads are too bad….. i suggested he gets a bicycle and was met with torrents of abuse – only last week he suggested i buy a sensible car and my bangernomics mobile had a hicup.

GrahamS

However I am quite sure miles aren’t being added to the challenge. sure i’ve been at that mileage for a few days now…

Seemed to stall around Christmas – the Endo fairies have fixed it now.

Who’s braved the snow this morning then?

Tick! Put the Schwalbe Winter Marathons on at the weekend (as well as a whole new drivetrain, but that’s a different story!)

Bloody hell they are heavy. Super grippy though and the “riding through rice crispies” road noise is oddly soothing.

Got bedded in this morning on a mostly dry run. It’s snowing again now, so we’ll see how they perform on the way home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

heavy – yes .

looking forward to putting the summer tires on and dropping nearly 2kgs off the bike weight !

reassuring on solid ice of aberdeenshire – Yes.

the road from my house to north deeside doesnt seem to get gritted before i leave.

GrahamS

Yep, I’m mostly off road, so no grit and some pretty thick ice at times (see pic at top of this page!)

Funnily though, my only fall so far this winter was on the road, suddenly moving from gritted to non-gritted on a corner!

They do feel incredibly grippy so I think they’ll perform well on ice. Got to be better than my narrow slicks anyway and 2kgs is just extra winter training 😀

GrahamS

-3 and an inch of snow on the ground today. Winter Marathons didn’t skip a beat. I was only 2 minutes slower getting to work than I was with them on dry trails yesterday!

will
    Free Member

Impressive stuff! A light dusting in London yesterday, roads were obviously all fine, and just wet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JeQuxqNXBOE/UPUvjqHAT9I/AAAAAAAAHiU/N8SbtuHbtYQ/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg[/img][img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fNrDUpD4oes/UPUvoH5A-cI/AAAAAAAAHic/XWNZ2jNjItQ/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there’ is closed to new replies.