• This topic has 198 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)
  • New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there
  • will
    Free Member

Not very wintery either this morning, daylight (just), no rain, quite warm 😆 This will be easy…

GrahamS

Over 200km logged by our brave warriors this morning already 😀
    Good work! Chilly but pleasant here too. A gentle start.

It’s never too late to join by the way: Endo will count all your existing workouts when you join a challenge – so don’t worry if you are just reading this now and you realise you’ve missed the start.

TPTcruiser

+1. Looks like fun.

scaled
    Free Member

Looking at that leader board already i’m in trouble with this and my pathetic 6 mile commute!

will
    Free Member

It’s a marathon, not a race 😀

GrahamS

Which one of you is “Will Beresford” then? That 49.23km commute looks suspiciously like a big training loop.

will
    Free Member

😆 That be me. It is indirect (obviously) but still my commute. Guess that was why I asked if sport cycling should be included as I never go direct to work.

Still start at home and end at work…

GavinT
    Free Member

Great idea, I’m in!

Is ‘taking the long way home’ acceptable? The vast majority of my mileage is transport but I don’t necessarily take the most direct route! 😉

woody2000

GavinT +1

I’ll be going the slightly longer way home tonight, so whilst I’m commuting home, I’m sticking in a few extra “training” miles. Anyway, great idea for a challenge – hope I can remember to keep turning my phone on!

GrahamS

GavinT
    Free Member

will
    Free Member

Ok, so we’re agreed taking “the long way home” is still commuting, fine. Don’t want it to be unfair though! 🙂

Edit: Gavin, maybe my favour use of that Fry picture ever! 😆

kcal

/scaled/ –

EDIT: I’ve tried downloading the GPX files from strava but get “Validity
    Excluded from statistics” in endomondo

this seems to happen because it defaults to “Running” then decides that’s too fast. Need to edit for Cycling, then untick the “Exclude” box that appears.

palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve used Endomondo for about 18 months now and only recently started using Strava. Added bonus though, when you export Endomondo rides and import them to Strava the average mph goes up!

+1 for cycling transport only, you can easily edit a ride afterwards

GrahamS

I’ve used Endomondo for about 18 months now and only recently started using Strava. Added bonus though, when you export Endomondo rides and import them to Strava the average mph goes up!

Why not just run Strava AND Endo apps at the same time? Saves fannying about exporting files and the like.

palmer77
    Free Member

Why not just run Strava AND Endo apps at the same time? Saves fannying about exporting files and the like.

Because it was for the last 18 months worth of rides 🙂

GrahamS

Ah see what you mean. Well for future reference, you should be able to run both apps at the same time without issue.

Right… time to get my bibs on…

nedrapier

I’ll join up for the solidarity when I get home. I’m not going to be anywhere near the top, with only 6 miles each way and some uninspiring alternatives, but I’ll be cycling in all winter – it’s 15 minutes quicker than the tube with the walk either end.

Except for tomorrow. And Wednesday. I’m not going to cycle from London to Norwich!

GrahamS

I’m not going to be anywhere near the top, with only 6 miles each way and some uninspiring alternatives, but I’ll be cycling in all winter

I like the cut of your jib old boy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m not going to be anywhere near the top

I’m not going to cycle from London to Norwich

not surprised with that attitude. 😉

TPTcruiser

Another trip in the bank with a slow mid section at an Aldi.
    The challenge to the mobile battery. First time I have used GPS on my Razr maxx so not sure how much charge it uses…

djglover
    Free Member

I’m in, not doing my 35 mile round trip daily though..

scaled
    Free Member

Has anyone actually had to ride in the rain yet?

GrahamS

Has anyone actually had to ride in the rain yet?

Just drizzle. Though I had snow and hail on the Friday before it started.

Not riding today as I need to get home early to carve a pumpkin and set up the apples and lucky dip 😀

will
    Free Member

Monday night was heavy rain, and I got two punctures…

Only 8 miles last night as I was on the club run, and then 19 this AM due to tired legs 😆

GavinT
    Free Member

Utterly pissed on this morning yes. Got lycra draped over every available radiator trying to get it dry in time for ride home!

riggsy
    Free Member

I’m in… no excuses to drive now

come rain or shine or snow I will be on the bike

Flash
    Free Member

That’s it I’ve broke my duck.

Do rides to a ride count as a commute if you are riding out to a ride?

GavinT
    Free Member

I would have thought that was stretching it! 😉 Not my call though…

I’m just going to put in rides two and from work. I’m currently wondering whether using the bike for shopping should count as well? Probably – not that these amount to a lot of miles.

Is Will deliberately staying just one mile ahead of me to taunt me?

will
    Free Member

GavinT – Member
    Is Will deliberately staying just one mile ahead of me to taunt me?

😆

You’ll be in 1st by the end of the day sir. Only 9 miles on the way home tonight due to going out so I have to get back in good time…

GrahamS

I reckon any “utility” cycling is fair game: work and back, shopping run, kids to school/nursery – all fair enough I reckon.

Riding out to a ride… nope! That’s taking the Michael Fish.

dreednya

I’m in the same boat, 4.5 mile one way on one day and the if its once 20-30 miles taking in Nant-yr-arian and Anglers Retreat, but ending up muddy and smiling at work

will
    Free Member

Another two punctures tonight! That’s 5 since Monday, think somebody is trying to tell me something!!

GrahamS

That’s 5 since Monday, think somebody is trying to tell me something!!

Get better tyres??

I believe these are the commuters choice in puncture prone areas:
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon-plus/

will
    Free Member

Another one this morning! I hadn’t even sat on the bike. I fixed teh puncture last night, pumped it up and it was fine, went to it this morning and it was fine. Then about to set off and it goes down again!

Got some Vittora Zaffiro ones coming, I used them last winter with no issues, I was trying to be clever by buying a £6 tyre…

GavinT
    Free Member

Best give the rim tape a good checking over while you’re at it. That sounds a bit suspect!

GrahamS

will: is it possible you still have something stuck in your tyre? SIX punctures in a few days is very suspect. I’ve had ONE in six months of commuting (touchwood) and that was after stupidly running over a broken bottle.

Continental City Contact tyres here.

will
    Free Member

That’s the annoying thing. I took the tyre off, rim tape off, inspected the rim, tape and tyre and all seemed fine. Although i’m going to look over it again.

Got to agree it is very strange! Prior to this I’d only had a few all year!

GrahamS

Maybe a loose (or overly tight) spoke poking through?

Match the tube up to the rim, see if they are all happening in the same place. Assuming you line up your logos and valves like a good STWer, then you can check the tyre that way too 😀

GrahamS

Brrr.. proper frosty ride in this morning.

White roads and frozen puddles.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there’ is closed to new replies.