Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New dropper post – budget options
  • Premier Icon swoosh
    Free Member

My trusty Giant Contact is finally wearing out and I’m looking to replace it. I’m not looking for anything fancy, just reliable. What’s good at the budget end of the market these days? Is it worth looking past the Brand-X Assend? I have a lever so maybe I could get a PNW Loam post and usey current lever, are they any good?

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

Brand X Ascend is the industry standard, get one 👍🏻

Premier Icon richmtb

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Brand X. Its more reliable then the KS Lev I have on the other bike and my previous Reverb

Premier Icon bigblackshed

Brand-X.

Having had a very good look and compared my Brand-X to a PNW and a Tranz-X. Hands on comparison. I couldn’t see any difference between them. With no other evidence, I’d stick my neck out and say they are all the same, just different printed logos.

Why pay more than the Brand-X?

Premier Icon momo

Another vote for brand-x here, currently available for £113 on CRC too.

Premier Icon scaredypants

PNW had a great sale fairly recently – worth a look (even with postage from US it was cheaper than a BX)

(edit: not sure it beat £113 though, if that’s for internal routing and 170+)

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

My experience of budget one was terrible, a Forca.
    I’d go second hand posh one every time,my used Thomson has been better in every single respect.

Premier Icon momo

PNW had a great sale fairly recently – worth a look (even with postage from US it was cheaper than a BX)

(edit: not sure it beat £113 though, if that’s for internal routing and 170+)

Yes, that is for a 170 (not a 200 though) here and use code SALE10

Although what I should be saying is go to eBay and buy my Fox Transfer that I’m selling! the fox is a nicer post even at 4 years old it has less play than the one year old Brand-X but it’s only 150mm, I ran both posts with Wolftooth levers and the Fox felt a bit lighter to actuate but I’m fairly certain that’s down to the cable routing on my Sonder, there’s a fairly tight bend from where it exits under the downtube up to where it enters the seat tube.

Premier Icon P20

I’ve been using a Brand X external for the last few months, lever could be nicer( but for the price you can’t complain) and it all works as it should

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

andrewh

I’d go second hand posh one every time,my used Thomson has been better in every single respect.

Thomson posts have a terrible rep for reliability, if you offered me a choice of a new Thomson or a Brand-X I’d be taking the BX

Premier Icon devash
    Free Member

I bought a Brand X one back in November 2019 and it’s been absolutely flawless for 2,000+ miles of riding. Running with a Wolf Tooth lever. I’ve stripped and regreased it every 6 months, 15 minute job. I paid £80 for it in one of the Chain Reaction Cycles sales.

I have a One Up dropper on my other bike and it has a much faster action but tbh I prefer the Brand X. The actuation feels a bit more on / off while the One Up can be sensitive to cable tension and needs a bit more fettling .

Premier Icon sturdylad
    Free Member

Very happy with my PNW.
    Good customer service and speedy shipping from the USA.
    Even better when matched with the PNW loam lever.

100 x better than the Bonty one it replaced.
    See how it stand up to the sandy soiled local woods after a few years but happy so far

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

We’ve BrandX/Rebaeged BrandX on 3 bikes. They’re very good. The only issue is that they do develop more slop than….

…our PNW. It’s not the cheapest in the PNW range, but was same price as BrandX. The PNW just feels a better built product.

We’ve also a Race Face Aefect post that came on a bike. It’s needed more greasing, although to be fair it’s most used, but I’m struggling to see why it’s a higher RRP.

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

I’ve had great experiences with OneUp. My first one, bought in 2019 and now with probably 4000+kms on it is still going strong with only occasional (very easy) servicing.

Premier Icon asbrooks

I have a couple of Brand X dropper post, one is around 4 years old now and still works perfectly.

One thing to consider, The stack height is quite a lot on the BX posts so if your collar is slammed in the seat tube it may be too high when fully extended and there’s no way of limiting the max height.

Premier Icon zerocool
    Free Member

I’m loving my 200mm Brand X post (it goes really well with the super short(425mm) seat tube on my hardtail and basically turns it into a slack (63.5*) 29er BMX that can be pedalled 😃. Only had it on the bike since Xmas but it’s still working well

Premier Icon zerocool
    Free Member

My Brand X dropper does have quite a long insert length compared to the One-Up post that was my other option. In the end I went for the cheaper option due to reviews from users on here.

Premier Icon fooman
    Free Member

If you are looking for 100mm/125mm the Kindshock KS EXA 900i Dropper Seatpost can be had off AliExpress for about £65 delivered – the one I have is on a par with Brand X.

Premier Icon swoosh
    Free Member

Looks like the brand-x is the default post at this end of the market. I do like that you can service them at home too, which I can’t do with my Fox Transfer.

Premier Icon nre
    Free Member

My brand-x went a bit sloppy after about 5 years use (which is pretty good I reckon), recently serviced with some new brass guides and it’s back to being as good as new. Can’t go wrong with one in my opinion!

Premier Icon fazzini

One thing to consider, The stack height is quite a lot on the BX posts

As I have discovered. I ordered a 125mm BX post, but due to the stack above the seat clamp its still too tall fully extended. I’ve only got an overall length (fnarr) of 165mm to play with. I really like the other BX posts I have so a bit disappointed. Didn’t want to start messing around with shims etc. @fooman any chance you could tell me the collar height on the KS one you mentioned above? I’d prefer a 125mm post but think I may have to settle for 100mm.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

Brand x is a no brainer, why spend double on a dropper and lumber yourself with one that costs you £95+p&p to service.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

Lowest stack height is the One up DROPPER POST – V2. https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/products/dropper-post-v2
    But it is not cheap…

Premier Icon b33k34

Brand X plus a Bontrager lever.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I’m on a brand-x + ZTTO lever (because the post came from Canyon in the sale).

Apart from the weight Vs the 3x the price competition, there’s nothing to complain about really. And the £200 saving probably saved the same weight in the end as it’s got a £200 (rrp, not what i paid) roadie saddle on top that I didn’t quite get on with but has a scuff so couldn’t sell it on for a worthwhile price!

Premier Icon b33k34

Apart from the weight Vs the 3x the price competition

I’ve never got around to looking at this but what are the comparative weights for the cheap vs much more expensive posts?

Ztto lever is *remarkably* similar to the Wolf Tooth. Bontrager levers are neater, less sharp edges and lower profile.

Premier Icon chrisyork

I’m in the market for a new one too, my mechanical E13 one has pissed me off too many times and only has 4 heights which isn’t ideal for me.

Looks like the 170 or 200mm are on Start fitness at around £155 so I doubt I’d get a better deal than that!

Premier Icon BigEls
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but, is there a difference between the start fitness one as others say XL 200mm or are all 200mm XL thicker diameter and it just doesn’t say XL?
    Are there different post lengths for the 200mm dropper?

Excuse my ignorance…

Premier Icon zerocool
    Free Member

My 200mm Brand X Ascend XL dropper fits my bike’s seat tube which is 30.9. Has survived since xmas. The standard lever seems fine and light

Premier Icon chrisyork

I think XL is just a name and don’t think it’s a different spec

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.