Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New dropper – CB Highline vs E13 TRS+
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

I urgently need a new dropper as my old one is giving me problems.

I’d like to have >150mm of travel, +-€250 budget and as much reliability as possible.

The two top contenders seem to be the Crankbrothers Highline 160mm and the new E13 TRS+ 170mm dropper.

Any opinions on how do they compare?

The CB Highline is generally in stock and seems to have great reviews. However, it’s still and hydraulic IFP system AFAIK, with all the associated problems. I’d love to be able to lift my bike by the dropped post without feeling guilty.

The E13 TRS+ 170mm seems like a great concept, mechanical and all. But it’s still unavailable and there were some reported issues on the older versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks

thekettle
    Free Member

Highline is mechanical.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Sure about that?

Most info I see around spec it with a non serviceable gas/hydraulic cartridge.

oikeith

I picked up a highline to replace a 125mm dropper, it was a pain in the arse to self fit so went to my LBS who struggled even though a few of them run them, apparently the internals have changed slightly.

The dropper will not stay compressed all the way down and creeps up 20mm-ish, no amount of cable slack as per the self help videos resolves this, the issue does however seem to go away when on rides which I find utterly bizarre and mind boggling, the lever is also god awful, feels cheap and has horrible movement, if i had the cash I would replace it in a heartbeat!

If I was you I wouldn’t rule out the brand x 150mm dropper £139.99 with a 2 year warranty!

wrecker
    Free Member

As a general rule, if something says “Crank Bros” on it; don’t buy it.

RichBowman

The E13 Support guys over in Germany are really friendly and helpful – I’ve spoken to them a fair bit over the past 6 months or so about my TRS+ Dropper…

#backhandedcompliment

Rich

thekettle
    Free Member

To clarify, Highline is cable-actuated, rather than hydraulic, meaning no bleeding/air pocket faff like reverbs. I think there’s a replaceable gas cartridge hidden in it, the rest is serviceable. CB spent a long time trying to make it ultra reliable after their disastrous earlier droppers!

In contrast to oikeith mine was really easy to set up, I love the lever and it’s been untouched and faultless for 2 years of weekly riding, coaching, guiding and racing. Maybe I got lucky, can’t comment on the E13 sorry.

BigR

I am with thekettle. I like the lever as it is easy to alter the position so it is comfortable. I have had no issues with any sagging after 15 months. It was a pain to route through an Orange Segment frame but I am not sure any other internal post would have been easier. Setting it up was easy with a hint from the Singletrack review about getting the accuator position right.

My saddle return has always been leisurely but it is one of the earlier ones and I think a new cartridge has speeded it up a little.

mildred

The CB dropper will come in stunning packaging and be utterly shite. Don’t buy one.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Thanks guys

So no positive votes dor the E13.

Most reviews around on the CB seem to be great, so I’m a bit on the fence.

That Brand-X Ascend XL was unknown to me!

Any reviews around?

rOcKeTdOg

Been running a CB high line for 12 months now in all conditions, this winter has seen it faultless in truly horrible conditions. Easy to install & fit and forget. Just the job. Recommended

muggomagic

I had the e13 on my capra. It was fine, no problems with it at all in the month or so I had it on. I ended up swapping it out last week for a Brand X XL because I had already bought one when CRC were selling them for £90 and I prefer the infinite height adjustment compared to the 4 set heights of the e13.

Will be selling the e13 if anyone is interested

joebristol

I’ve got the brand x ascend 1 rather than the newer XL. Had it just short of a year and it’s still as good as when I put it on the bike last spring. It’s been through a lot of slop with basically no maintenance so far. Changed the cable a few months back but that was only because I had a crash and snapped the lever off with my knee (big crash – led to a knee infection in hospital – any lever would have snapped in the circumstances).

As I understand it, he Ascend has a 2 year guarantee and for the price it’s hard to beat. Think it’s got a sealed cartridge in it and replacement ones are about £50 should you need it.

zezaskar
    Free Member

The Ascend XL really sounds like a great deal, but after my precious dropper experience (PRO Koryak) I’m after reliability.

The CB Highline has lots of big names in it, Trelleborg seals, Igus bearings, Jagwire cables, that gives some confidence

zinger
    Free Member

I’ve had a hi line 160 since last August and it’s working really well

I had said to myself if never buy another chance product after the kronlog

But I wanted more than 150mm drop and to be able to pick bike up by salesa

So I got a hiline also it has a 3 year warranty

I just got back from a 3 week trip to usa where it got used a lot in NV, as, Utah and Colorado and isit still working ok

Only thing to watch out for is making sure the outer. Cable is not zip tied too tightly and that the outer is not able to move where it goes into the frame otherwise you can get the post slipping down or up

zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi Zinger,

You mention picking up the bike by the saddle, which is something I’d also like.

But, AFAIK, the Highline is also a IFP, so no different in that regard relative to an Ascend, etc

zinger
    Free Member

Its not the same inside as a reverb etc – its just a sealed cartridge like you get in an office chair, the seat post does not budge unless you have the lever pressed in, i did a lot lifting my bike by saddle while doing the kokpelli trail a few weeks back due to all the snow and had no problems

Poopscoop

There are a load of people on here using the Brand X droppers of one type or another. A thread search will bring many up.

They are fantastic, at any price. Replace the lever with a Bonty or that new Wolftooth one of you must and you have a great, reliable 2 year warranty dropper that countless people on here would recommend.

Me included. Just got my second, the XL for £92 in the CRC sale a while back. That’s mental cheap.

Would have bought it at full price mind. I just want dropper that works and stays working. Don’t care about the brand name.

Hence I’ve bought 2 Brand X ones out of pure reliability needs.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Just did the math and the difference between the Ascend XL at CRC and the CB Highline at some German retailers is about €70.

That value seems well worthy for an extra 10mm of drop, supposedly better seals/bushings and a better lever.

So, unless knows about an available discount at CRC, I think I’ll go with the Highline.

zinger
    Free Member

Arghh !!!!! Just measured my post and isit only showing 145mm of post I’ve lost 15mm , I’ll post up my exclusivee of a chance warranty claim , hopefully I’ll just get a new cartridge quite quickly………

joebristol

Crank Brothers product failure strikes again when you least expect it!

zezaskar
    Free Member

Was about to order the CB and then read your post….

mickmcd
    Free Member

The CB dropper will come in stunning packaging and be utterly shite. Don’t buy one.

oddly the packaging goes in the bin and all 3 i own have been unshite, all of them go up and down with one being well abused , more odder than that the reverb i have currently and all the reverbs ive had have been a bit well fail

zinger
    Free Member

I’m going to put my old Giant SL Switch Dropper post back on while waiting for the hi-line to be fixed

It has more lateral movement in the post than the CB , the levers not as nice as the cb , and i’ve had to have a replacement cartridge for it as well, but they are pretty cheap.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_contact_switch_seatpost_2018-ID_73871?sv_source=google&sv_medium=cpc&sv_campaign=%5Bcampaign_name%5D&sv_term=%5Bkeyword%5D&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2KHWBRC2ARIsAJD_r3fkqAAjT3kTySsKJ-Md50CzgLCElnS7SXR8uIz2LqgGBWscoeiXbCkaApGgEALw_wcB

zezaskar
    Free Member

The ’17 170mm Reverb with the push button remote is for sale in some german sites.

Is the hydraulic remote that bad?

Poopscoop

I think most wouldn’t say it’s “bad”….. More unnecessary.

I much prefer cable droppers. Reverbs are too complex for their own good in book.

However,I think you are talking about it having the old button trigger? Rather than it being hydraulic? I think many get along with it mounted under the left bar pretty well but consensus says the new one is better….as it should be given its size and price as an upgrade.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Was referring mostly to the hydraulic actuation part.

The price on these is crazy good and the number of spares available is great. But the hydro remote seems a bit over the top and asking for trouble

leegee

I bought a used Highline and its been great, has a real quality feel about it. the return is pretty slow, any tips to speed it up.

Poopscoop

Someone selling a mint Brand X XL for £75 in the classifieds. No, it’s not me! Lol

zezaskar
    Free Member

Ended up ordering a 170mm Reverb.

Let’s see how I live with the hydro remote.

If I dislike it I can just slap a Wolftooth Sustain cable converter and it still a good deal

jes
    Free Member

Bit late but I am really liking my magua vyron 🙂

zezaskar
    Free Member

I think the Magura is a really great concept, but:

– not too keen on having electronics on my bike

– Nearly double my budget

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New dropper – CB Highline vs E13 TRS+’ is closed to new replies.