Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • New drive system set to take over from chain and belt
  • adeward
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Like that is going to last in grit, grime and general pedalling…

Factors that usually cause wear and tear on a conventional chain, like rain, snow, mud and sand, do not affect the safety and perfect functioning of STRINGBIKE®.

ahahahahahahahahaha etc

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What a wonderfully pointless idea.

adeward
    Free Member

I thought I might have missed something

darrell
    Free Member

utterly useless but great at the same time

ir_bandito
    Free Member

seen that before, doesn’t look like an overcomplicated method all….

ampthill

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PAzalfpww[/video]

Made no sense until I saw this

Its probably Junk. But I don’t suppose chains looked that clever when the high ordibbary (penny farthing) was the norm

PaulD
    Free Member

Wow!

Like Hammerschmidt only worse!

Given the hub gear and then all this gubbins, I see no cost, weight or durability advantage.

But, just to be safe and off-trend, I had better start collecting shifters, chains, mechs and cassettes before they become extinct…

PaulD

Janesy
    Free Member

If you search on the repack website, you’ll see somthing very similar. Done in the 70s or so.
    Search for a user on hear called repack rider or Sumin like that.

igm

I think I can see their major problem – which is well hidden by superficial flaws.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m still not seeing any string.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Revolutionary characteristics of the drive system:
    springs in the hub move pedals forward assisting the biker to ride uphill

When needed the gear ratio can be adjusted differently at the two sides

Long bike tours are made more pleasant. The tiring effect resulting from the constant friction of metal parts disappear with the quiet and smooth stringbike system.

Any disadvantage?

Technically there is no such a thing, but certainly there are issues that our designers are currently addressing such as how to apply disc brakes at the rear hub.

The current size drive train is designed for trekking and city bikes. Alternative size rear hubs with wider gear ratio are being developed serving MTBs and road bikes.

A 21-speed gear is in the final stage of completion replacing the current 19-speed system.

pretty sure TJ does their PR

Janesy
    Free Member

This is what I was thinking whilst on the toliet…

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/weird_bike_stuff.htm

Not quite the same. But close enough.

tazzymtb

that is truly one of the silliest ideas since slingshot bikes and U brakes

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting…shame it’s brought the flamethrowers out already…what would you lot have said about suspension/spds/disc brakes before they were fully developed?
    🙄

swompy
    Free Member

lets find a problem for the solution !

whatnobeer
    Free Member

springs in the hub move pedals forward assisting the biker to ride uphill

Am I missing something? How on earth can that work? Or are you just putting the energy in to the system and getting some of it back via these springs?

igm

Janesy – Member

Not quite the same. But close enough.

Rik of Rik’s Bike Shack (aka Blazin Saddles on here IIRC) has one of those buddy bikes. And he made me sit in the passenger seat. It was probably one of the scariest cycling experiences I have had and that was just round the car park at Drumlanrig. Not a good bike.

That said I live not that far from a decent sized river and that HydroCycle actually looks interesting.

aracer
    Free Member

Long bike tours are made more pleasant. The tiring effect resulting from the constant friction of metal parts disappear with the quiet and smooth stringbike system.

Yeah – all that 1% loss in a chain drive really kills me. Does anybody know how their hub freewheels work if they don’t have any metal parts in contact? ISTM that must be the really revolutionary bit, not the string.

skiboy
    Free Member

As an engineer I feel the need to reach for both the eye bleach and me bombers 😯

robhughes
    Free Member

skiboy.hahahahaha

bencooper
    Free Member

Not sure if I’ve seen that particular one before, but such ideas crop up regularly. The only things I know of which use a cable are rowbikes:

spacehopper

that is wonderfully weird.. would like to have a go on one of those!

i cant stop watching that rowbike gif for some reason..! 😯

aracer
    Free Member

That rowbike looks quite fun. How do you think it would be on singletrack?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden one on an indoor test track. A standard SWB recumbent is good fun on singletrack, though, as long as you don’t need to hop the front wheel. Fast and swoopy is good 🙂

ashfanman
    Free Member

Stringbike is an anagram of Big Stinker.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Interesting…shame it’s brought the flamethrowers out already…what would you lot have said about suspension/spds/disc brakes before they were fully developed?

I remember it well, I said “I guess I’ll buy it when it works”

boxfish
    Free Member

In 50 years someone, somewhere will stumble across it in a museum and think

“Hmmm, can’t imagine why that didn’t catch on”.

aracer
    Free Member

what would you lot have said about suspension/spds/disc brakes before they were fully developed?

As a fairly early adopter of all of those (and of full-sus for XC) I stand my ground.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67i6d9Hxjgg[/video]

Saw one of these being used on my local bike path. It’s the future.

Lakes_Puma

I want a stringbike!, if you watch the other video apparently it makes you irresistible to the opposite sex and you’ll have friend coming out of the woodwork.

[video]http://vimeo.com/24255947[/video]

rootes1

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=67i6d9Hxjgg[/video]

Saw one of these being used on my local bike path. It’s the future.

see a guy on one in Richmond park a few times… proper odd..

bigrich

no chain to oil, and low maintenance, as long as the bearings and pivots last. I can see the point for city bikes that get no attention.

makes more sense than a hipster powered fixie, anyway.

rudedog
    Free Member

Janesy – Member

Not quite the same. But close enough

Slope indicator – where can I get one??? Imagine a world where rides are no longer ruined by not knowing how the steep the hill is 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

Been looking at the vids and I think this system would look so good on one of my whyte prestons

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘New drive system set to take over from chain and belt’ is closed to new replies.