Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New donor bike, can't remove pedals from crank!
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

These bad boys are stuck solid.

I’ve taken the chainset off to sell but I can’t get the damn pedals off. I’m turning the thread the correct way and I’ve lubricated but they just wont shift.

Have they been over tightened by the store? They had to set it up as part of their sales process.

Can I take the crank in with my receipt and ask them to remove said stuck pedals?

I don’t want to damage them and let my buyer down.

flow
    Free Member

Impact driver

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m getting wound up now.

Will the shop refuse to do it as I’ve removed the chainset from the bike?

CaptJon
    Free Member

how old is the bike?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

3 weeks

therevokid
    Free Member

spanner on the flats and a piece of pipe as a lever ?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve tried the pipe mate and heat.

I guess I should have checked before I stripped and sold the frame.

continuity
    Free Member

I don’t know if this is your problem, but usually an issue is aluminium crank threads with steel pedals.

Tons of wd40 (leave it to soak in and through). Then a pipe around the crank, big wrench about the pedal axle. Put one of them in a vice and tap the other one with a hammer.

Or use an impact driver on the pedal’s thread.

It’s all about leverage.

globalti
    Free Member

Whack the end of the spanner with a mallet. But be sure it’s towards the back of the bike.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Much easier if still on the bike.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve put it on the new frame and still nothing gives.

It’s a brand new chainset on a brand new showroom build bought 3 weeks ago and prepped before purchase.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Yep – hit spanner hard with hammer – worked for me. And it took a few whacks too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe cross threaded or something.

schmiken

Give it a really good smack with a hammer while the frame is anchored to the frame with a ratchet strap or similar.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m just admitting defeat and taking the chainset in tomorrow and get them to do it.

Something is wrong, it’s like they’ve not greased them.

I wouldn’t blame them but they made me wait while they did a full set up on the bike.

Cheers everyone though.

geoffj

I’m turning the thread the correct way

Are you double sure?

Try a kettle of boiling water poured over them.

globalti
    Free Member

The way to remove tight pedals is to put the crank horizontal then set the spanner so that it lies alongside and just above the centre of the BB then stand on it. The cranks won’t spin because your weight will be carried effectively by the BB axle except that all the stress will be cranking back through that reluctant pedal spindle.

Hard to explain without a drawing but it never fails. Just be ready for it to give suddenly and you to injure your shin.

big_scot_nanny

I’ve got a mate called Eugene that I ask for help with stuff like this. If you’re anywhere near the north of Switzerland, I’ll ask Huey to shift it for you. Bosh, job done. He’s frickin huge.

Anyhoo, I agree it is the most knuckle-manglingly frustrating thing to do!

Good luck!

Kev

ChrisA
    Free Member

Plusgas or penetration fluid and boiling water are your friend. You need to get it evaporating. Apart from that, a long bar / lever to undo the pedals should work.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve just haf a chainring tooth rip through my finger so I give up!

Drive side I’ve been trying anti-clockwise no drive clock wise.

That’s right right?

globalti
    Free Member

Turn the pedals towards the back of the bike to remove them.

Russell96

Pour a kettle of boiling water over the crank where the pedal screws in, then try.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Right they are off took 3 kettles of boiling water.

Fitted the new SLX chainset and find crc haven’t put the end cap bit in the box.

Today is awesome lol

continuity
    Free Member

Oh, you said you’d used heat.

Otherwise I would have just got the blowtorch out.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Flip- you sound even more determined that even me!

If you need and endcap I’m sure Ive got one spare – email in profile if required!

#Edit – apparenntly fec is swear filter avoiding – sorry. Flip has been substituted.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Continuity I did i had heated the the cranks up on the gas stove but nothing gave.

Think I just worked them free and the water was the final breaking point.

And I had done spinach 😉

Mike
    Free Member

Righty – Tighty
    Lefty – Loosey

:mrgreen:

Olly
    Free Member

Brute force: If its not working, your not using enough of it

as long as your sure your turning the **** the right way (and if your selling bikes you must faaiiirly sure) then get your rage on at it.
    stick the crank (off the bike, into a bit of scaffolding to give you loads of leverage, and similar with the other end.

i had a stuck BB a few years back, same deal: steel/alloy chemical weld.

I went at it with a blow torch, soaked the bottom half of the bike in parrafin for days, nothing worked.

bike shop put the frame in a big sturdy stand, and got out their secret weapon: a BB tool with a 2.5m lever on it.

one firm shove, and out it span. Threads were perfect, no worries to date.

Olly
    Free Member

Oops, youve done it.

almightydutch
    Free Member

When faced with mates bikes that are god knows how old, I usually take the rings off the drive side and use my foot and the floor as the levers. Never fails!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New donor bike, can't remove pedals from crank!’ is closed to new replies.